It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadians Just Became World's Biggest Internet Losers

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Myself and a few others allready sent letters to our respective MP's and the allmighty CRTC. What a bonehead and monopolystic move.
Years ago when they wanted my money they "upgraded" me to unlimited and charge me promptly for it.Now they don't like it anymore and they whine and demand even more money.
Yup,i feel like we are going backwards here,but i hope that we can change their minds.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   

MOD NOTE: ATTENTION!!!

Please discuss the topic and not other members.

That means no belittling, off topic posts, casting aspersions on another's character or country, harassing or ridiculing others.

Further such remarks can and will result in warnings and/or post removals.

Mod Note: Terms & Conditions Of Use – Please Review This Link.

Mod Edit: Please Review the Following Link: Courtesy Is Mandatory

Ad Hominem Attacks And You

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
As a Canadian Citizen, living in Ontario for almost 10 years, I came to a realization that there is really nothing, that I, or anyone else can do. We have a big problem not only with the internet now, but also liquor and beer are very hard to come by and they are very regulated. This isn't new to any of us, I was paying 60$ CAD extra every month for the past year since Rogers ( the biggest internet and communication provider in this country) decided to put a limit on our internet.

Will be very interesting to see how the rest of the citizens react to such a thing.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
===================== TO ALL CANADIANS ====================================
Why this will NOT work PLEASE READ.

My parents have satellite internet, which is billed the same way. They get 5 gigs a month for a pretty unreasonable price.

But here is the kicker

If you have metered internet access YOU WILL BE PAYING TO SEE ALL OF THE ADS WE NORMALLY SEE ONLINE. Hows that for a mind mess, paying to see ads? aaaaaahhhaahaha

when canadians realize this, watch out!

edit on 1/30/2011 by VonDoomen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by loagun
Where the hell do you get off calling the country with the strongest economy and financial system in the world losers?

(I'm hesitant to reply to this, given the mod warnings in the thread. I'll try to keep it both civil and relevant. )

This line is the perfect illustration of why Canada finds itself in this situation, as it encapsulates perfectly the level of public apathy at play.

Canada does not have the stongest economy in the world, nor does it have the strongest financial system in the world. Nor does it have the fastest internet, or the most respected peacekeepers, or the best reputation for X or the most envied Y. It -HAD- all of those things, and quite a bit more, a generation or two ago. And then Canadians rested on their laurels while the world passed right on by. And as long as Canadians refuse to believe that's happened, it's only going to get worse.

I'm continually stunned when I return home and hear people convinced that the rates they pay and services they receive for internet access (to say nothing of mobile phones) are the best in the world. They're not, by a massive margin. A small handful of companies control access to TV, internet, and both mobile and land based phones - and have been manipulating the prices of all three for decades while convincing Canadians that it's in their best interests to "keep it Canadian", because if it's Canadian, it's got to be The Best In The World.

It's not. And this latest debacle - which will further stifle Canadian productivity, creativity, access, and economic prosperity across the board - is a prime example of why it isn't. Until people wake up to the fact that this is happening not only in the telecommunications sector but in just about every industry in Canada, the situation is only going to get worse.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
The problem is if you surf the net somewhere between 30 to 60% of your bite usage is advertisement you don't. want and should not pay for.
Ads in flash format are high bite users and you will have to use strong add blocking to keep your usage down,

You could also be paying for spam on web site and email.

And what protections do you have from the IPs running programs in the background to increase your usage without you knowing it.

I will not even get into what your usage could be if your antivirus protection fails and your computer become part of a botnet.

This could end up the biggest internet scam ever against Canadians.
edit on 30-1-2011 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-1-2011 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

star for the botnet idea!! i hadnt thought of that, but whoa,, that would be one huge bill
considering my parents get charged $.25 for every megabyte they go over their limit. Ha what a rippoff. i dare anyone to find a bigger profit margin than that.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Lovely, and I'm a Canadian who gets paid to view advertisements online. How retarded.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Kennit

LOL to the people who actually think they are going to stop this by canceling their internet the only way to truly have an effect would be to cancel your phone as well plus your cable tv. Because anyway you look at it your screwed lets say you cancel your internet they will raise telephone rates and cable companies will too which you need. the only way to beat them is to make your own telecommunication network and then compete with the big dog bell. Bell would lower its rates forcing your company to go under then would go right back to what they did before and they would buy your company and its supplies for cheap. Its a lose lose situation. I know its evil I'm with you on that but they are just to big. now you know what its like to be Americans we get screwed on everything. Sorry to hear about this treatment.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Kennit

Corrupt government of Canada, sucking more money from its own people. The government is bought these days by companies, there aren't any real reporters to investigate, or any real men left to be man enough to stand up against money and material gains, to expose these bastards.

Everywhere in the West, the politicians are pocketing money, and allowing big corporation to go crazy in sucking us dry.

While the East is waking up, the West is still sleeping like babies. Get politically involved, become active, and get yourself informed.

Instead of staring at yourself in the mirror for 2 hours, trying to decide what color lipstick you should wear, you should educate yourselves and get yourselves informed, politically, so that you are not deceived 50 times in a row, using the same tactic, which is a world record in my book./

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   
I don't understand why it has to be one or the other. Why can't there be a bandwidth cap option for those who barely/uncommonly go on the Internet and use few bytes but like the fast speed and pay a lower price and have an option for those who have the money and want unlimited access? It would be similar to how bus fares work, with it being around $10-25 for a 5/10/25/etc. GB cap and $25-$45 for unlimited (price would vary depending on connection speed, of course). There are far too many users on the Internet nowadays who use YouTube and other media-heavy sites who would use up a 25 GB cap in a day.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
The move is to make more money for the big corporations, they know that most games and digital products can be downloaded, so more money to be made.

Our governmanets works for he big banks and compagnies, dont believe a word that canadians are free lol, a gfood portion of the population was againts canada joinin the war in afghanistan, and where still there lol...

Boo canada, boo canadian politiens, there rotten to the core

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Lan party time! No internet, but 500 people sharing what they have dnloaded off the internet all month long = SWEET! I'll bring some beers and some 50 port hubs and a copy of c-strike = GREAT TIMES with new friends!

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
First of all, this egotistical nationalism needs to stop. After all, we all suffer from corruption from our governments in different forms and none of us are exempt.

That being said, as a Canadian I have to say that we do seem more compliant than others. Not sure of the reason but if you don't believe me than try bumping into one of us and the chances are that we will apologize to you first. Maybe it's the BC bud that makes us so passive.

Anyways, despite the parity in the dollar with the US we regularly pay more for everyday goods than our southern neighbors and we frequently drive down to the US to get deals. We also pay more income and sales tax which drives up our living expenses even further. So this news is not a surprise to me and I'm not expecting any riots anytime soon.

On a more positive note, at least we don't have to deal with the patriot act or the TSA.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by endlessknowledge
That being said, as a Canadian I have to say that we do seem more compliant than others. Not sure of the reason but if you don't believe me than try bumping into one of us and the chances are that we will apologize to you first. Maybe it's the BC bud that makes us so passive.

And the culture.

In the USA apologizing is viewed as an admission of guilt. In Canada, people apologize for unfortunate happenings beyond their control. It is strange, but it is associated with good manners so I don't mind.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by vox2442

You might want to take a look at global economies right now, whoever said we are the strongest is sleeping, but regardless of what YOU have to say, the facts speak for themselves, most other countries are in turmoil, we're living large.

Anyways,

This is a big deal for people on small ISPs, they rent the bandwidth from the big guys, like in my province Bell or Rogers owns the lines, be it DLS or cable. Any other isp is merely renting from them, and with this new development it means Bell can charge them a usage fee, while not charging Bell customers the same fee.

Its a billing issue and that's it, it's not even new as companies have been charging for going over limits for almost a decade.

I'm surprised this slight billing modification makes "Canadians the worlds biggest internet losers" while in the UK you have ISPs about to roll out 2 tier internet where big sites that are willing to pay get preferential bandwidth, other sites get table scraps.

THAT my friends makes the UK the worlds biggest internet losers.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by endlessknowledge

Yes we pay higher taxes and prices, what do we get in return? One of the best medicare systems on the planet, one of the highest quality and length of life ratings on earth, well maintained roads (unless you are out east) and various social programs that help the average Canadian.

When you even it out against what the US doesn't get, we're paying less.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join