It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Viking 1 may have found life on Mars--and DESTROYED it!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Thought this article from PopSci was interesting:

Viking 1 article

But in the new study, researchers found exactly those chemicals when they added some perchlorate to desert soil from Chile and baked it in the same manner as the Viking tests. Atacama desert soil is thought to closely resemble Martian soil and is known to contain organic compounds. "Our results suggest that not only organics, but also perchlorate, may have been present in the soil at both Viking landing sites," said the study's lead author, Rafael Navarro-González of the National Autonomous University of Mexico, Mexico City.

More "hints" from Never A Straight Answer that we have found organic compounds on Mars and of course promptly blew our chance to study further by destroying the material. It seems very strange--over the last year and a half NASA is continuing to push the idea that they find organic materials in different places--asteroids other planets etc.

It's so bizarre--you would think being able to find life on other planets...find intelligent life...and harness the unlimited energy potential in space would really push us to actually start manned spaceflight outside of our Earth-Moon atmosphere...so that way we can find and analyze these things without having to use clumsy rovers. But if they did that--well....they might have to tell us the truth about airbrushed photos...changing the face on Mars to stop people from believing in it...and the litany of other NASA lies that have filled the last 50 years.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by zcflint05

Good Thread but myself personally have always wondered why in all the rover pictures do people on the internet keep seeing human or intelligent buildings \ anomolies in them... maybe cos they are actually on earth. ?

Which if is the case then the soil would of had life in it as its earth soil

Something i like to ponder

StrangeyD

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Just like the human race to go somewhere and screw it up.

I do like the fact that Obama spiked Nasa, I would like to see it abolished altogether. We hardly need to be wasting time and effort off planet when there is so much to take care of here.

I just loved the title of your post, I got to laughing, thanks

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I heard about this about 5 years ago. The test they ran were no good. In fact the test its self would do more to remove or kill anything that was there. Who ever had the bright idea of cooking the sample as part of the test was a idiot or they wanted to make sure no life was found. If you take a sample from your front yard and cook it you are going to find little if any traces of life. It sounds to me that the tests was rigged.
If there life on Mars? Who knows because we have to re-test

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by StrangeyD

My question is why in this day and age we only see black and white images as the predominant bulk of picture releases.

To me, only the arrogance of humankind would assume we are the only intelligent species in the Universe, and I use the term intelligent loosely.

Its nothing more than fear of not being alone in the Universe that drives the Governments actions and release of info when it comes to space. This planet is teaming with life of all varieties, in all conditions.

We are not as intelligent as we think because in the grand scheme of things, we generally ignore whats right in front of our eyes in hopes of finding a more complex explanation that, 30 years later, is debunked and we go back to the simple answer we ignroed in the first place.

Fruit flies live a more productive life....

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by zcflint05
More "hints" from Never A Straight Answer that we have found organic compounds on Mars
At least you recognize it's organic compounds there but you deliberately altered the title of the article in your thread title calling it "life" instead of "organic material":

"Viking 1 may have found life on Mars-"

As the article says:

Even if Mars never had life, it probably should have some organics, simply because of the number of meteorites that contain them.

For posting the article you get a

For replacing "organic material" with "life" in the title, you get a

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Guys..this is not new news, and especially to me. i joke you not! i have a book in my room somewhere, came out in the mid 80's all abuot astronomy ( my passion from when i was 11 and up) and on mars and viking..it was printed..viking 1 i belive..took martina soil samples, and for about 1/1000th of a second, it detected changes in the samples, in its sample chamber. it died off very very quickly whatever it was.
you do not see this stuff printed in todays books or the last 15 years at least. it was fed something like a chicken soup complex..oxygen and someting else. its not new news~!

new topics

top topics

join