It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More Massive Fish-Die-Offs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   
I looked and could not find anything about this particular occurrence. This happened along Lake St. Claire, I use to live in the area and can attest to never seeing anything like this while I lived in the area.

Anglers Worried About Massive Gizzard Shad Fish Die-Off

I don't know if this IS natural or not, but based on everything else that has been dying in large quantities lately, I figured I should post it and see what everyone else is thinking. Like I said, I am not sure what is causing this, but Lake St. Claire has been none to have an abnormally high amount of toxic chemicals in some areas. It is still safe to ski and swim in though, and obviously fishermen still catch fish.

I just don't understand what is causing this....

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   
must be those underwater fireworks again

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   
I just thought of something:

The die-off of the gizzard shad, a fish that is often eaten by larger predators, in Lake St. Clair is due to the "harsh winter weather conditions and a large year-class," according to the Department of Natural Resources and Environment.

If this is the case, then why are there fish of ALL sizes? The "large year-class" would only really suffice as an explanation if the fish were all relatively the same size (age) when they died. As for the "harsh" winter weather... please! This is Michigan we are talking about. Its always cold in the winter up there. Oh, and that really would not affect the underwater life very much. Otherwise, these fish would all died like this every year. Use common sense Department of Natural Resources and Environment! You're suppose to be smart!

edit on 1/28/2011 by Seitler because: gave up on image... grrrr

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I used to live near there as well and every winter all my fishing buddies would go ice fishing and usually come back with loads of perch, pike and walleye. Sure its polluted, but I too have never head of this type of die-off since the alewives came up the St Lawrence river in the 60's. Also, I wouldn't believe anything the Michigan DNR says, they will lie to keep from having to take responsibility or take any action. Just like they denied the cougar sightings and that wolves were crossing the UP straits in the winter.
edit on 28-1-2011 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added a new line

edit on 28-1-2011 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Fixed typo

edit on 28-1-2011 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Another typo, I should read my posts before posting!

top topics

join