It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California Residents Hit With Government Ban On Paying By Cash

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by bekod

I deal with considerably more advanced issues at work, and I understand quite well what this can be intended for. What I AM saying is a city is not a private entity, and therefore cannot refuse to accecpt cash as a form of payment.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

its the fact that they are banning you from doing something. taking more libertys away more then anything. its stupid to make someone to have to pay over the internet or cards. what if they dont have cards or a computer,knowing how disco bay is i doubt that, but still its stupid

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Yes, they can NOT refuse legal tender..That is the law..

But also, what about the fact most places are charging a fee if you pay by credit card nowadays..
Is this a sneaky way to bring in extra charges???

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

no when i pay my bills i dont get a fee. I really think its because of the cocain thing going on is why they are doing it

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Is it just me, or does it seem that FL and CA have been the testing grounds for all kinds of crap, and people there seem to keep failing the test miserably....

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   

if you would read the DHS provision they can and will, come may there are 5 five city's county's that will no longer accept cash as payment under the act/ provision. why do you think the Ca town is doing this the DHS has forced them too and they do not want to admit too it. Macomb county in MI is an other one no date is set.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

they are the easiest to pull this stuff on the city's county's state get extra funding it has been in the news, a few years back when the RFID chips came out a county in Florida got a tax break and the folks that signed up for the test got no taxes and was payed big bucks, in the long run all got some kind of cancer and now suffer for it been trying to find that article ever sense .well what do ya know i found it.may 15 2002 NY times.

edit on 28-1-2011 by bekod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

My hat's off to you, DimensionalDetective! Once again you post a thread with relevant, controversial, thought provoking news. Frankly, I'm astounded by how fast you find this information. You seem to be a news agency unto yourself! Keep fighting the good fight, my friend. Your contributions are greatly appreciated.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by pianopraze

Time for residents to sue them into submission.

"All debts public" is written right on the bill...

My thoughts exactly. That is 100% irrefutable proof that we are losing our rights. (Yes some people will still deny it!)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Aside from the whole "all debts public and private" issue, what about people who don't have credit or debit cards? I know it is probably uncommon to encounter that, but that was my situation for a while when I was in my late teens through my mid 20's.

Back when I was in college I got one of those low limit credit card offers (the ones that have a really high interest rate and a limit of $200 to $300) and, not knowing much about how they worked, I signed up and got my card. I then used it for food and little things here and there and then when the place where I was working cut a bunch of positions, I was one of those cut from the job. I couldn't pay, got way behind on my payments, and it got to where I owed a huge amount (about $4500) just on late fees and interest. Eventually I got it paid off, but not before I had trashed my credit. Not long after getting the card paid off (finally), I went to open a bank account and the bank ran a credit check on me and said that due to my credit score I could not open an account with them. This happened at three more banks, as well.

So, until I got married and was able to be added onto my husband's bank account, I couldn't find a bank who would have me. We got my credit rating cleaned up and are very careful about it now, but for a handful of years I didn't have a credit card or a bank account. I had to pay everything by cash or money order/cashier's check. It taught me a lot about not spending beyond my means and that if I can't pay for it with what I have on hand, to wait until I can.

I do understand that this was quite a while ago, around '95-'96, and maybe banks have changed the practice of not opening accounts for people who have bad credit, but it is entirely possible to be in a position where you can't pay by credit or debit card and what the heck does this city expect someone in that situation to do?

Take care,
Cindi

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

California Residents Hit With Government Ban On Paying By Cash

www.prisonplanet.com

Residents of Discovery Bay,California will be the first in the country to be officially denied the right to use cash to pay for public services,in a move that echoes the Department of Homeland Security’s drive to depict those who use physical money as potential terrorists.

As reported by the Contra Costa Times recently,from May onwards,residents will no long be allowed to pay water bills or purchase park permits after the Discovery Bay Community Services District board voted to ban cash transactions for all services.

Anyone paying for such public services must do so with a credit/debit
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 27-1-2011 by DimensionalDetective because: (no reason given)

WOW, that's awesome. So basically it would be Illegal NOT to pay Banksters even more money.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Well this would be lots of fun if it happened in my town. We'd all just refuse and let them wonder what to do about it. Just think of all the ratting to DHS and all the money they'd have to spend in responding to the sudden rush of homegrown terrorists. Messing with stupid people is always a joy. And when those stupid people are in government the height of gleefulness is attained. My God! Think of the whole town having an orgasm all at once.... We are such pussies America. All that need be done is for us to say "# you" to them. What are they going to do? Arrest the whole town?
edit on 28-1-2011 by trailertrash because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Wow. So many thoughts on just one article. The first think that comes to mind is not letting people buy or sale without the sign or the mark of the beast. The second was that they cannot refuse legal tender. But then I remembered that the Dollars are not legal. In article 8 of the United States Constitution the Congress will "Coin" the money. There is no legal basis for anyone to "Print" money.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
In the case of a natural disaster how are people suppose to pay for things?? Going into a cashless society is STUPID

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
What if satellites go down? Electric? Computers? Earthquakes? Solar Flares and no one can buy anything because The Satanic Global Mafia wants complete control over our lives? WE NEED money PERIOD. A Cashless society wont work

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lynnswideawake
In the case of a natural disaster how are people suppose to pay for things?? Going into a cashless society is STUPID

Maybe they'll accept payment in the form of silver or gold.
Their probably more affraid of if you Pay in Cash and by the time they get to the Banksters the value of cash has diminished. Maybe this just an acknowlegment that HyperInflation is about to start.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Currency should always be accepted especially since Banks will not open accounts for those with bad credit. This just causes the poor to have to pay more expensive fees for the pay per use cards.

A modified version of this started a few years ago where there were several people who paid their fines with a wheel barrow full of pennies. This happened in a couple different cities in my state & they both changed their polices to not accept coins because of the burden of having to count it.

Their argument of course will be the cost savings of not having to handle cash. No cash drawers to count at the end of shifts & no deposits, bank runs, safes or etc.
edit on 28-1-2011 by verylowfrequency because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

wow. so officials don't want residents spending their own money to peruse public records of their official's behavior in office because it is ammo for the residents? and they want to know the names of people that spend their own hard earned money to educate themselves on the behavior of the people that run their city? so they pass a law banning anonymous cash transactions to rat themselves out and then the officials can start ostracizing them?

[unless i may have misread]

WTF.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Just wait till this sort of thing spreads further, across country and internationally, atleast in deveolped countries. Not to mention if/when they take away cash all together and when they face an economic crisis they can just stop all transactions and take the money back from everyone to payh for government debts.

Just a thought :p

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

Yes, they can NOT refuse legal tender..That is the law..

But also, what about the fact most places are charging a fee if you pay by credit card nowadays..
Is this a sneaky way to bring in extra charges???

From what I have seen, I was under the impression card companies actually charged the businesses, not the people. Charging a customer for use of their card is a quick way to loose that customer. Forcing a business to pay a charge for letting the consumers use the card is the what they are doing.

They know if they refuse to pay the card fee, the company will not be able to process that type of card, which means lost revenue for the business.

As I was saying, this doesnt not make any sense to me.. I really wish someone would contact the California AG, or DHS to find out what the malfunction is.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join