It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Would Ghosts 'Haunt' Cemeteries?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by palg1

I would like to know your experience as well. If you don't mind sharing it. If you do mind I totally understand. It might be something you just want to forget about. It sounds like whatever it was it scared you pretty bad and you felt strong enough to quit over it.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Being a mortician I get asked all the time if I "have experiences" while I work.

My answer...

(1) You can go anywhere you want as a ghost, why on earth would you go to a mortuary ?

(2) Do you really want to scare the crap out of the guy holding the scalpel. No you want him to be as calm and as happy as possible.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by ColeYounger

Originally posted by palg1
reply to post by SaturnFX

I don't think it's nonsense at all. Like Unumbra said, they may be attached to their mortal body.
I like graveyards too, but I have become more weary of them since my young adult days when I had a job placing headstones (1.5 years). To many strange occurrences and apparitions, some that caused a deep sense of sorrow, others outright gut wrenching terror. ( I eventually quit because of one such event. I won't go back and haven't been back to that cemetery).

Would you mind sharing some details of the event? As I stated in my OP, my buddy said he felt terrified!
One would think that if you saw a ghost standing there, as he described it, you'd be fascinated and you'd want to watch it for as long as possible...till it disappeared or whatever. He said that was not the case. He was terror-stricken and ran.

Like I had stated The straw that broke the camels back was that one situation while working for a monuments company. I twas a beautiful sunny day. We had just finished placing a headstone and the boss requested that we check and repair those that this company had placed within that cemetery. We do this as a standard practice because the company warranted the stones infinitely. We started as usual from the edge and worked our way row by row. Near the end of task I stopped at my great uncles stone and stopped a moment to say hello, then carried on a good 80 yards till I reached the poppers section. Unconsecrated ground where the newborns, criminals and homeless were buried. This section is divided only by a 1 foot fence. I was concentrated on my work again and as I stepped over thew fence I was immediately thrown back and landed 6 feet back on my back. My co-worker would attest later that he saw me falling as if I'd been pushed and not falling back I was off my feet. I got up and looked at my friend as I shook myself off, not quite believing what just happened. He looked shocked by what he'd just seen. I then (gutsy me) proceeded with purpose to walk over the fence once more. That is when I felt it. This time it was like I was frozen in place and was being gripped by pure fear. Whatever it was basically told me to Get the F*** out if I valued my pathetic life. It felt like I was then released and this time I fell back onto my but. I got up walked backward out of that section, and promptly quit my job. Later my buddy told me it looked like I was being held by the shirt collar before I fell the second time. Neither he or I saw any figures of forms, mist or anything else. On future encounters I did see apparitions but those are other stories.

BTW not on drugs or alcohol wasn't tired or on any medications. I was not thinking of or expecting to experience any paranormal activity. As a matter of fact I think that before that episode I really didn't think about it much.
edit on 27-1-2011 by palg1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by palg1

Holy crap. That is scary! You stated.....

Unconsecrated ground where the newborns, criminals and homeless were buried.

I checked the online definition of unconsecrated and it said this: not holy because unconsecrated or impure or defiled. Just wondering why newborns would be placed in that part of the cemetery since they are pure? Maybe one of the spirits from that part of the graves was unhappy with being placed in that part of the cemetery? Thanks for sharing your experience.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Cemeteries are places for the living - not the dead. Those who are dead have no attachment to that place except for their body. It is said that the spirit will remain close to or within the body for several days before it chooses to depart and perhaps reflect on its life. It is possible that they would choose to reflect with you for a moment and I would impose that this is where folks experience some of these ghost sighting phenomenon.

Another big thing I ponder, which ties into the cemetery being a place for the living. I subscribe to the notion that certain things can absorb, hold and display emotional/psychic energy, things like granite. (Gravestones)

Put 40 people infront of a gravestone, crying, sobbing and reveling in utter anguish and you have a nasty emotional USB drive displaying the torment for anyone sensitive enough to feel or see it coming from the stone. Perhaps in some cases, binding the spirit to the stone, because it has so much of their families energy within it.

Most ghosts are probably not disincarnate spirits, but rather the energetic imprints of those who were once living, or are still alive. No reason to fear either of them.

The great wheel turns, it slows down for us to catch up now and then - but it never stops turning.

edit on 27-1-2011 by Gradius Maximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Well in Europe's old cemeteries they use to sacrifice a animal or person to be the guardian spirit. This was done before it opened, kinda like the first one in gets guard duty. Here in the Americas that practice obviously is not followed. [I believe it was done in medieval times] I might wager on residual energies of mourners having something to do with it. In my neck of the woods we have to rather "haunted" cemeteries, one in Troy NY and the other in Schenectady. Both had a problem with people going in to them at night and performing rituals. Granted some of these "rituals" were done by kids with a bookstore satanic bible others I know from a few reliable sources have had Santeria rites performed. In at least one case this was done in conjunction with a murder. [ I know this fact due to my father being a l.e.o. on the scene] I think that certain practices interact with the consecration initially done on a cemetery and might make spirits restless.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Had the same question before..I think some of the reasons were discussed by ken hudnall on his ebook - Visits from the Dead. Got the ebook for free because I was just curious but end up reading the whole thing. You will find out other things as to why some people can see ghosts and not,more...

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by SavannahJane
reply to post by palg1

Holy crap. That is scary! You stated.....

Unconsecrated ground where the newborns, criminals and homeless were buried.

I checked the online definition of unconsecrated and it said this: not holy because unconsecrated or impure or defiled. Just wondering why newborns would be placed in that part of the cemetery since they are pure? Maybe one of the spirits from that part of the graves was unhappy with being placed in that part of the cemetery? Thanks for sharing your experience.

In the old days, when babies were stillborn or died before being baptized the families or hospitals would have these babies buried in the poppers cemetery. (this has been told to me, and would explain there presence where I was at the time. I cannot confirm whether this is fact or fabrication)

As a caveat to my story, years later I was told that black mass' had been held in that section but a little further in from where this took place. I believe my sources were credible.

edit on 27-1-2011 by palg1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by palg1

Wow! That would DEFINITELY not be residual! I don't blame you for quitting!

I heard a similar story once, when I went on a guided ghost walk in Gatlinburg, TN. Honestly, the guide annoyed me and my sis and I really didn't pay too much attention to him because, from the way he talked, we knew more about ghost hunting than he did. His main focus was orbs, orbs, orbs and more orbs! I hate orbs. LOL. I was taking pictures and could literally see the dust light up in front of the flash from my camera and of course, the pic would be covered in "orbs." Anyway, that's beside point... I'm getting off topic.

He took us to an old cemetery and told the group that he refused to go up into the upper, left of the cemetery because there was an evil entity there. He said that it had pushed him more than once, and the last time it pushed him so hard that it left a mark on his back. Of course, me and my sis went up there anyway, just to see if anything would happen. It didn't. I still believed the man's story though. He seemed scared enough of the area and WOULD NOT go up there. He even tried to talk us out of it.

Thanks for telling your story! I would also be interested in hearing the others, if you don't mind telling them, but if you would rather not, that's ok.

Like I said though... I think I would have found a new job, as well! What did your buddy say about the whole thing? Did it scare him too?

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by gemineye

My buddy stayed with the company for another year or so (he was engaged to the owners daughter I guess he had to). He would confirm, when the subject came up, that he saw me getting pushed back, up and off the ground, and then what seamed like me being held up and let go afterward, but he didn't like talking about it much. He also would halfheartedly make fun of my reaction after that. The quitting part that is.

As for the other stories. Not today but maybe in an appropriate thread at a later date.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Update: I spoke to my buddy and we are going to the cemetery tomorrow. He remembers the exact site of the grave where he saw the ghost. I'm gonna bring my camera, so if nothing else, I'll be able to post a pic of the spot a ghost was seen standing upon. There is also a tower that's about 25-30 feet tall with some very bizarre stone sculptures around it. Weird faces and frogs and things.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by palg1

Thanks. What you say makes sense. I don't blame you for quitting after that incident. I figure it this way. No sense in hanging out in the cemetery while alive since we all will get a permanent view of it after death.

ColeYounger, eagerly await your pictures. Good luck and stay safe.
edit on 27-1-2011 by SavannahJane because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I wonder if the owners of the cemetery would allow a small investigation team. I would be very interested in seeing the results of an investigation of a cemetery where a full body apparition was seen.

I myself live right beside a church graveyard and sometimes look over to see if I might possibly see something. Although I haven't really experienced anything too strange my four year old nephew lately has been talking about a scary ghost when he comes over to visit.

A few nights ago he went into my brother's room. The light was out and my nephew ran to my mom talking about the scary ghost and if she wanted to go and see it. He really does sound like he is actually seeing something and isn't just playing. He really does sound a little scared of something.

Also, one morning I woke up and it felt like something had jumped up on the foot of my bed. It felt like maybe the size of a cat or small dog.

Now that I think about it maybe this graveyard here has something. I am looking forward to any photos you can share. Hopefully you'll catch something on them.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Sorry for the delay....We weren't able to go to the cemetery as yet but are going to go there in the next couple days and I'm gonna take some pics.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Another theory I have (don't take offense this is just what I tend to believe) why a cemetery would be haunted is that ghosts are not the spirits of the dead but rather are demons/fallen angels. Why would they pretend to be ghosts and haunt cemeteries? Because that is where the dead people are and that is where we would normally expect ghosts to be.

But I may be wrong and I still enjoy this subject, always have.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Hantrid

It was the impression I had after my experience. The thing that has always bothered me about it. My feeling was more that this malevolent presence was most likely demonic. Why would a ghost be threatened by the presence of a mortal being, even if it was a disturbed spirit?

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by palg1

The thing you encountered must have been a demon. But what would it hope to gain from attacking people who enter that area of the cemetery? It doesn't seem to be trying to deceive anyone like in my theory. So what was it doing there?

I know you would not want to go back there. But if someone were to and do some research they might could find some answers.

Maybe someone has been doing some occultic activities there. Or some kids were playing with a Ouija board, got spooked, and ran leaving the board and the connection open. Or maybe someone was disturbing the graves and something showed up to protect the cemetery and it goes too far and is overzealous in its job.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I lived right across the street from the biggest Graveyard in the most haunted place in America, Alton Illinois. We played in it everyday as kids. I found nothing memorable about it as for as the paranormal.

I once was told that millions of spirits lay in their grave waiting for Christ to resurrect them, for that's what they were told.

If true, graveyard still possess spirits, it's just the non mischievous type.
edit on 1-2-2011 by Better Mouse Trap because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Apologies again for delay....we're getting pounded w\ snowstorms, but I'll get pics of the 'ghost grave' as soon as I'm able to drive up to the cemetery. It will probably be the weekend.
Thanks for all the comments, everyone!

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by ColeYounger

You got me so interested in your friends ghost sighting, but as usually happens when i got to the end of the thread everyone was left hanging. Did you ever get a photo of the grave?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join