It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Large device' examined in north Belfast alert

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   

'Large device' examined in north Belfast alert

www.bbc.co.uk

Police believe dissident republicans are behind a suspected "large improvised explosive device" found on north Belfast's Antrim Road.

An alert started after calls claiming to be from dissident republican group Oglaigh na heireann.

Police said they cannot confirm yet if the device is a real bomb or a hoax.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   
No word yet about the viability of this device, but the police are understandably treating this with extreme caution.

My feelings are considering there was an official warning given from and IRA representative, that this is in fact a real explosive device. Oglaigh na heireann are believed to be responsible for this security alert, and are generally considered to be the most dangerous of dissident groups.

I went to school about 100 yards from where this alert is taking place and I can say from experience that at certain times of the day, hundreds of school children from the various schools in the area, would have walked past this bomb.

I can only assume that the main target was the Antrim Road police station.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:14 AM
link   
you say its near a school that you attended.
just a question. with the status of your mood at the moment 'booM' you wouldnt have anything to do with it would you. lol
sorry but i had to ask after seeing you mood

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   
bloody religious fanatics, they need something to do, funny how there was so little of this during the recent prosperous times in ireland but as soon as it goes broke, then the terrorists start up again.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

Any idea where on the Antrim Rd the device is BRL? My parents live in Glandore and they said that their road is cordened off. They seem to be looking for more than one.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Nox789

No no, as much as I didn't enjoy school. Wouldn't fancy blowing it up!

Samstone, from the photographs all I can gather is that it is just past the Waterworks near the Antrim Road police station. So it's at the intersection of the Antrim Road and the Glandore Avenue, beside the Fortwilliam clinic. I could be wrong though. I think most people, about 50 families, have been evacuated from the area. Do you know if your folks have been asked to leave?

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by samstone

I hadn't heard there may be more than one device, it's totally possible though. It seems someone has panicked and informed security forces that the bomb is unstable. So this may have not been the intended target but whoever left it there didn't fancy going back to it.

www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk...

join