It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eider Ducks Dying Like Flies In The Harbor at Andenes - Dead Crabs Too - The Cause Is Unclear.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   
DEAD BIRDS: In the port area of Andenes in Nordland eider ducks "die like flies."

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/57e6754ee0cc.jpg[/atsimg]

BIRDS ON THE BEACH: The eider is not behaving normally tell people.

- They behave quite abnormal, nervous system and their coordination ability does
not work, "says Mevold

Port Director Odd Bernt Mevold is one of those who collect the birds - So far today we've picked up ten birds, so there is a high mortality rate now.

- Det som skjer i havna her, er tragisk, sier Mevold til NRK. - What happens in the harbor here is tragic, "said Mevold to NRK.

Now the door is about 10 birds a day in the area, and it is not normal, "says Mevold.

While they are still looking for the reason that over a hundred eider ducks have died in Andøya, they find now dead crabs in the harbor.

I discovered that there were dead crabs down the rocks in the harbor, and I've never experienced before. Man lurer jo på hva som skjer, om det er snakk om giftstoffer i havet eller noe slikt. You wonder after all on what happens, there is talk of toxins in the ocean or something. Det er veldig rart at også fuglen dør, sier Hansen. It's very strange that the bird dies, "said Hansen.

Source Link in Google Translate

Port Director Odd Bernt Mevold told Andøyposten that unless the bird have froze to death, he has no explanation as to why this happens.

???

Is it that the birds froze to death or starved to death?

It appears that the cause of death is lack of food, but they do not find enough food is the more surprising given that this is a major fishing port, said Fodstad

I remeber reading about another mass bird death, said they had empty stomachs?
What about the crabs?
To be continued...

edit on 26-1-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships
Is it that the birds froze to death or starved to death?
What about the crabs?
To be continued...

Strange, i've been overflying that area every morning the last few days and the weather have been far from extreme.

Zero to -5C and little snow on the ground, as usual wintertime.

They do have a fish factory and fuel storage tanks for the airport, but if fuel or other chemicals had leked out media would get the hold of it right away.
Gonna dig more about this.
edit on 26-1-2011 by Ivar_Karlsen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Ivar_Karlsen

So, not so cold there then as to freeze them?
The write up says the ducks dive deep to get food, 10 meters to 40.
Yet the harbor is full of food.

This is strange, and the disorientation is odd, they said in the article "tell people".

Thanks for weighing in!

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   

So, not so cold there then as to freeze them?

Not the last 5 days. Zero degrees C there this morning. Where i am right now about 150 km further north we have 3C, so no extreme cold.

Since crabs are dying as well whatever it is is more likely something in the water.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Could be that, or as many think,
something to do with the magnetosphere.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Could be that, or as many think,
something to do with the magnetoshere.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I doubt that as the rest of the animal life should be affected as well. More likely local causes i think.

Btw the birds up north are really creative.
img832.imageshack.us...

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Cute bird there

Such large mass die offs last few weeks birds fish etc.
Its anything but normal.

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   
If I'm not mistaken Eider ducks are divers that catch their food on the bottom, including small crabs.
The deaths of the 2 species may well be related: chemicals leak into ocean, crabs pick up pollutants, ducks eat crabs and die.
Just taking a stab here in all honesty.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Well a friend of mine mentioned that a red tide could do something like that. Especially since they all feed off of the fish, etc that would be affected by a red tide. Other than that, I am totally baffled. The mass extinctions around the world, are really starting to creep me out though.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Royal76

Yes, you and me both.
I fully expected this to come to an end after a week...here we are on the
26th, and still racking up new reports every day it seems.

Its one thing or another...they say

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Eider duck down is by far the best clothing insulator, even much better than modern synthetics. It is very expensive (hundreds of dollars per pound). The Eider duck is a threatened species so the down has to be hand picked from the nest after the chicks leave. I make a lot of my own extreme environment gear like sleeping bags and coats because it is the only way to ensure performance in the below -40C winters we have here and I use Eider down for all of it. Hopefully this is not wide spread.

Thanks for posting this.

top topics

join