It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake recorded in west of Scotland

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Quake recorded in west of Scotland

uk.news.yahoo.com

The quake measured 3.5 on the Richter scale and was recorded in Glenuig, west of Fort William, at 6.02am on Sunday.

It was felt in Skye, Mull, Inverness and Oban and is the largest earthquake recorded in the area since January 2008, when a tremor of the same magnitude was recorded near Glenfinnan.Yet
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.bbc.co.uk
www.chichester.co.uk
news.uk.msn.com
www.cumbernauld-news.co.uk

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Yet more and more earthquakes, not a massive one but its a quake none the less. Although this was the largest earth quake recorded since 2008, its the third quake to be felt in the area which felt the One measuring 3.6 on the Richter scale struck near Ripon, North Yorkshire, on January 3 and was felt as far afield as West Yorkshire, Tyne & Wear and Cumbria.

Seems things are hotting up, could this be related to the Mid Atlantic Ridge ?

uk.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by StarTraveller

In short no, but I do find this quake a little curious. It is not on the Great Glen fault being some distance form Loch Lochy. I may be reading things into this however as I do not know the geology of the area.

The Great Glen Fault

edit on 23/1/2011 by PuterMan because: to add a new link

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by StarTraveller

In short no, but I do find this quake a little curious. It is not on the Great Glen fault being some distance form Loch Lochy. I may be reading things into this however as I do not know the geology of the area.

The Great Glen Fault

edit on 23/1/2011 by PuterMan because: to add a new link

Well wee bit of info which I can pass on is that there is a fault that runs through the isle of cumbrae and that most of the islands off north ayrshire contain alot of volcanic created features.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Very unusual for this area. The BBC said it was normal for a quake on this scale to be in UK on average once a year, but here was two within weeks start of 2011. One to watch.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by kcoyote

Well considering I grew up in that area I can only remember it happening half a dozen times at the most.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyscotsdude

Thanks for that. Is that information available of the web by any chance or just in those weird 'paper' publications?

Lived in the area for 6 years (actually not IN the area - Nairn) and never came across that, but then I was not looking.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

hope this link helps you

the recent events in yorkshire and cumbria can also be found on the sites homepage

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by satire111

the link i managed not to include in the last post doh !!

www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk...

top topics

join