It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chameleon tanks blend into background

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
BAE Systems in Sweden is working on a new type of camouflage for tanks. Basically cameras mounted on the side of the tank take a picture of the tanks surroundings. Those pictures are then projected via LED's contained in the tanks armor.

Its still in the works - but the hope it is will eventually let tank look just like a clump of bushes or other parts of the terrain.

Of course, that's just the tip of the iceberg. They are also working on ways to hide the heat signature and more.

Chameleon tanks blend into background

A pair of "bug-eyed" compound video cameras on each side capture the tank's surroundings. Each one contains nine small cameras, giving a wide field of vision. The images from these cameras are then fed to displays built into the outer surface of the armour on the tank's opposite side. The displays use arrays of organic light-emitting diodes (OLEDs) to project the image onto a screen contained within the armour, much like a rear-projection TV, says Awad. The screen will be built in to a layer of a transparent composite armour on the tank's side.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
It has been a while so I will have to dig up the source but i saw this on tv a few years ago except it was the US military.

They even had suits similar to chainmail for people to blend in the same way...

Kinda makes a person look like Predator

edit on 21-1-2011 by LittleIndianJr. because: cant spell lol

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Sure.. it's cool.

It can't even hold a match to what the black military has, however.

Look into that.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Amazing stuff, I was a tanker in the U.S. Army for 8 years, and I can tell you not being seen at all is like the Holy grail of Armor warfare. How in the hell do you hide the muzzleflash and sonic boom though. It would still give your position away negating the camoflauges effects as soon as you try to kill another target.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
It had better be a panoramic camera!

Or will that encourage friendly fire?

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   
This is the BAE Wraith from the Future Protected Vehicle programme, described as a "low signature scout vehicle":

images.gizmag.com...

The Future Protected Vehicle programme:

www.baesystems.com...
edit on 22/1/11 by Soshh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Come on Ghostsoldier you know camo doesnt matter after you fire the first round. Also you must of been out long ago us tankers have gotten spoiled and now have the citv.www.deagel.com...
this means by the time most tanks traverse there targets to get a shot at us there done besides what tank rolls out alone a platoon of tanks with this camo will easily take out at least a company if not more of tanks in a matter of minutes not that it really matters if we have camo

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by jeffmarble
Come on Ghostsoldier you know camo doesnt matter after you fire the first round.

Yeah, thats what I was wondering about, what good does camo like this do when it still makes a big boom to let everyone see and hear where you are. And yeah, I was on the M1A1/A2s, and got out in 2004. Right about the time the Army was realizing cold war era equipment and doctrine is going by the wayside quickly.

join