It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High-ranking members of US military part of 'Knights of Malta,' 'Opus Dei,' reporter claims

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   

High-ranking members of US military part of 'Knights of Malta,' 'Opus Dei,' reporter claims

www.rawstory.com

Veteran investigative reporter Seymour Hersh has broken some massive stories in his day, but uncovering secret societies within the highest echelons of America's military would probably be the biggest of his career.

Well, get ready for the media storm: That's essentially what Hersh told an audience in Doha, Qatar recently, according to a report published earlier this week by Foreign Policy.

...He further claimed that Gen. Stanley McChrystal, Vice Admiral William McRaven and others in the JSOC were members of the "Knights of Malta" and "Opus Dei," two little known Catholic orders.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 1/21/2011 by Nicorette because:

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
This is a charge by Seymour Hersh, one of the most respected investigative journalists in US history. This is a validation of all those who see dark conspiracies in secret societies, which frankly I never put much credence into.

But the article goes on to talk about "members of these societies have developed a secret set of insignias that represent the whole notion that this is a culture war between religions" these guys have put together.

Pretty remarkable stuff from just slightly out of the mainstream (Raw Story, Foreign Policy Journal) media. Definitely read the full article on Raw Story.

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 1/21/2011 by Nicorette because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/21/2011 by Nicorette because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Nicorette

A little research for you here :

Italy: Knights of Malta alleged link to military action ...

"The painful saga of modern Arab-Muslim history evokes the battles fought in Crusades of the 11th century - when the Knights of Malta began their operations as a Christian militia whose mission it was to defend the land conquered by the Crusaders."

Abidat accused the Order of Malta of being run by men who are close to US president George W. Bush and neo-conservative political circles.

"You cannot exaggerate it. The Order of Malta is a hidden government or the most mysterious government in the world," said Abidat in the editorial.

The Rome-based Order of Malta, whose full name is the Sovereign Military Hospitaller Order of St John of Jerusalem, of Rhodes and of Malta, is also known as The Knights of Malta.

www.adnkronos.com...

Knights of Malta (and U.S.) Picking New Chief

Princes, barons and some mere master knights are gathering here for a sacred conclave that will elect the next leader of an organization that is medieval in origin but increasingly American in membership.

Secluded in a villa overlooking the Tiber, a council of 36 electors will cast secret ballots for the next Grand Master of the Knights of Malta beginning Friday. If the winner is approved by Pope John Paul II, he will be addressed properly as ''Your Most Eminent Highness,'' having the protocol status of both a Roman Catholic cardinal and a prince of the Holy Roman Empire.

The title reflects the group's identity as both a religious order and a military organization born in 1113, during the Crusades.

Although the Knights maintain a variety of ideals and rituals dating back to a time

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Very interesting article. I hope Hersh releases more information soon, will be following the story. S+F

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Thanks for sharing. It never ceases to amaze me the veil of secrecy that encompasses our world. Hopefully, one day we can live in a realm without greed, corruption and power. Certainly not in this lifetime, but who's counting?

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Respected? This guy is a totally biased psycho-lib leftist hack who's been on a crusade to destroy America for decades. Nevertheless Opus Dei and the Knights of Malta are dangerous organizations. Unfortunately Hersh is too biased to realize that the catholic church is the furthest thing from the christian right that you could imagine and that they probably control the muslim religion anyway.

He still fears the 'neocon', when his 'angry black' man in office is nothing more than a Marxist puppet of the NWO. I'd be much more concerned about the globalists and Marxists in the state department and the CIA, let alone the white house.

In fact it's just a shame that our invasion of the Middle east wasn't a genuine crusade with forced conversions away from that satanic muslim religion. Instead we do everything in our power to promote Islam both here and abroad. We even paid for a terrorist sympathizing muslim leader to tour the middle east whilst desiring to build a mosque on ground zero. Hersh apparently can't let the facts interfere with his political diatribes.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
And the rebuttal:

McChrystal denies claims of secret military crusade against Islam

WASHINGTON — Retired Gen. Stanley McChrystal says he is not part of a religious order waging war on Islam despite recent assertions by acclaimed journalist Seymour Hersh.

Speaking in Qatar earlier this week, Hersh claimed that McChrystal and current members of the special operations community are members of the Knights of Malta and Opus Dei, both Catholic organizations, according to the blog Foreign Policy.

www.stripes.com...

The biggest hole I have found in Hersh's story is no proof of General McChrystal being Catholic or even Christian.

edit on 21/1/11 by MikeboydUS because: link

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Great find, thanks.

The layers of the onion are gradually being peeled back and brought out into the light of day. Again, it seems, all roads lead to Rome, and given than many believe, as I do, that the Vatican is run by satanists, that's yet another layer to this story. The pieces are falling into place bit by bit, and the picture is slowly getting clearer.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SevenThunders

You're certainly entired to your opinion. Of course, the first tactic against unpleasant truths is often to shoot the messenger. Regarding Hersh, according to Wikipedia:

Seymour (Sy) Myron Hersh (born April 8, 1937) is a United States Pulitzer Prize-winning investigative journalist and author based in Washington, D.C. He is a regular contributor to The New Yorker magazine on military and security matters. His work first gained worldwide recognition in 1969 for exposing the My Lai Massacre and its cover-up during the Vietnam War, for which he received the 1970 Pulitzer Prize for International Reporting. His 2004 reports on the US military's mistreatment of detainees at Abu Ghraib prison gained much attention.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by wcitizen

Satanists? At the Vatican?

Sure there's some Pagan influence, but Satanist?

What exactly is Satanist? What does that even mean? Anything to back that up?

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Oh please. Does anyone ever check this stuff out before just going along with whatever idiot gets up next? There is no evidence whatsoever that McChrystal is a member of the Knights of Malta. He isn't even Catholic. His brother, a retired chaplain, is a member of the Assemblies of God. I think Hersh has confused reading the DaVinci Code with reality.

Hersh is "well-respected" only by the left. He is well known for using anaonymous sources, making up "facts" (especially regarding John F. Kennedy) and basically coming to conclusions before picking up a pen. An "objective journalist" he is not. This last accusation is over the top and will hopefully be the final nail in his coffin of credibility.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Knights? KEWL

Sovereign Order of Malta - Official site
www.orderofmalta.org...

www.orderofmalta.org...

Sovereign Order of Saint John of Jerusalem, Knights of Malta
www.theknightshospitallers.org...

The Order of Saint John of Jerusalem, Knights Hospitaller
www.orderstjohn.org...

Queen Elizabeth in her guise as head of the British Chapter of the Knights of St John
www.orderofstjohn.org...

Best known for there FREE medical work under St John's Ambulance... something the USA won't allow. Imagine free ambulance service?

The Most Noble Order of the Garter (Churchill was a member) The Queen is also the head of that one

The Churchhill Society
www.churchill-society-london.org.uk...

The Most Ancient and Noble Order of the Thistle (Scottish Order)

Grand Encampment, Knights Templar, USA
www.knightstemplar.org...

Lots of Orders of Knighthood around

Lots of Secret Societies too... but only those on the outside consider them evil

edit on 21-1-2011 by zorgon because: CLASSIFIED

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nicorette

You're certainly entired to your opinion. Of course, the first tactic against unpleasant truths is often to shoot the messenger. Regarding Hersh, according to Wikipedia:

It is opinion, but no more so than Hersh's reporting. Really it's a hysterical leftist diatribe and not reporting.

Hersh is famous only because he was such a good lefty and a good propagandist for communist Viet Nam. While he was trashing the reputation of the American armed forces where was he when Viet Nam was slaughtering and enslaving their own christian population? Where was he when half of the Iraqi christians were killed or displaced by radical Muslims. Why didn't he report on that? The reason why is that he secretly approves of the state destroying Christians.

If the state is not destroying Christians than they must secretly be neocons launching a crusade apparently.

Here is McChrystal's respons to this foolishness:
www.jihadwatch.org...

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
He isn't even Catholic.

Yup to be in the Order of Malta you DEFINITELY must be a devote active Catholic

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
Knights?
Queen Elizabeth in her guise as head of the British Chapter of the Knights of St John
www.orderofstjohn.org...

Hey Zorgon, any ideas on the meanings that compose that insignia???

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Not really sure why this would be an issue, since we are allowed under the constitution the right of free assembly and association.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Great thead. S&F. I never heard of any of this get. Very interesting. Is there a list of members anywhere? I have never heard that Seymour Hersh making out anything.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

I don't think we are talking about the Elks Club here. And I don't know why people have an issue with Hersh reporting this. The Constitution is supposed to allow freedom of the press, to show what higher ups are up to. We should welcome the openness, and ask why it was kept secret.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nicorette
reply to post by Xcathdra

I don't think we are talking about the Elks Club here. And I don't know why people have an issue with Hersh reporting this. The Constitution is supposed to allow freedom of the press, to show what higher ups are up to. We should welcome the openness, and ask why it was kept secret.

A valid point, but a bit off in my opinion so no offense. Our military leaders are private individuals, not public as our elected leaders are. Command Officers at those levels are promoted by Congress, the peoples representatives.

I have no issues with any media reporting this stuff is discovered in a legal manner. Opus Dei, contrary to the Davinci Code, is not as radical as they showed it. Opeus Dei is real and are, for lack of a better term, the whole kit and kaboodle. There is a term, Cafeteria Catholics, that live by some of the standards, and ignore others. Opus Dei does not pick and choose, its all or nothing.

I am not familiar with the other group, so I cant really speak to the ins and outs of being a member. I guess to me it just seems kind of weird to care what they are a member of, so long as it doesnt spill into their professional duties and obligations.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   

I actually have no problem with the reporting of these folks being in a dubious secret society. That in and of itself is very newsworthy. My problem is with the tone and the spurious conclusions of what appears to be a rabid leftist mad-dog and not a supposedly unbiased newsman. The man goes from, he's a member of Opus Dei to, the neocons have taken over America and are launching a religious crusade.

Yeah that's clearly the case now that his beloved terrorist weatherman underground sympathizing, Marxist, Muslim, angry black man is president.

<<   2 >>

join