It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US radio host criticized for mocking China president

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Rush Limbaugh, the conservative radio host heard by millions of Americans, came under fire from Asian Americans after he mocked the way visiting Chinese President Hu Jintao speaks.

The commentator lampooned Hu -- who he called the "ChiCom dictator" -- over his joint news conference Wednesday with US President Barack Obama that was marred by a delay in translation.

"He was speaking and they weren't translating. They normally translate every couple of words, but Hu Jintao was just going, 'ching chong, ching chong, chong,'" Limbaugh said, continuing his imitation at length.

Representative David Wu, the first Chinese American to serve in Congress and a member of Obama's Democratic Party, criticized Limbaugh for his "pathetic childishness."

"In doing so, he ridicules one of the world's oldest languages, insults the Chinese American and Asian American communities, and disrespects the 1.3 billion people of China," Wu said.

Source

Mod Note: Do not simply post news articles in the forums without comment. If you feel inclined to make the board aware of current events, please post the first paragraph, a link to the entire story, AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item.

edit on 21-1-2011 by Gemwolf because: Added EX tags

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Ugh. What a turd. No sense of civic responsibility whatsoever.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Can someone please translate?
What does ching chong ching chong mean?
It's gotta mean something.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
That's not the sort of response you would expect from an adult never mind a political commentator. A 5 year old kid maybe.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   
They are right to criticize.

Rush should be really just be ashamed of himself. He's not a comedian, he's a voice that is actually heard and listened to by millions of people on a daily basis. As much as that surprises me.

You know if only these radio personalities understood that they can affect discourse and encourage people into an ignorant way of thinking, maybe they would choose better ways to express themselves.

~Keeper

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   
He would dare, even in he's sleep, to do that the Jewish community ?

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Hmm....

Somebody said something irresponsible, infantile, and not in the best interest of anyone, which he unfortunately has the right to do.
People criticize him for it, which fortunately they have the right to do.

So where is the issue?

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro

I cannot translate literally, but I will give you the gist.

It means: " I am an ignorant tool of the powers working to destroy democracy and America. I am so lucky to have people listen to me that are so incredibly stupid and easy to lead around by the ring in their noses. If people ever wake up and start reasoning critically, I will be doomed."
edit on 1-21-2011 by groingrinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I remember Rosie O'Donnell getting into some trouble for this.

Rosie mocks asians...ching chong, ching chong

It seems to be easy, fun words to to say when pretending to speak their language but it is actually an insult to them.

"So apparently 'ching-chong,' unbeknownst to me, is a very offensive way to make fun, quote-unquote, or mock, Asian accents. Some people have told me it's as bad as the n-word. I was like, really? I didn't know that."

Rosie Apologizes

Thanks
SL
edit on 21-1-2011 by sweetliberty because: add link

edit on 21-1-2011 by sweetliberty because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Hu was insulted?

Hu cares?

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by laterallateral
Ugh. What a turd. No sense of civic responsibility whatsoever.

With respect to americans most of you do it, and most comedy will do it, for laughs.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
He can say whatever he wants. Rush's show is too big to fail. Besides if his show was forced off the air- he'd immediately get a job and a raise from fox.

Not the first racist thing Limbaugh has said in one of his "media tweak" moments. He calls them that so he doesn't have to take "personal responsibility" for what comes out of his mouth.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lafaso870

Rush Limbaugh, the conservative radio host heard by millions of Americans, came under fire from Asian Americans after he mocked the way visiting Chinese President Hu Jintao speaks.

The commentator lampooned Hu -- who he called the "ChiCom dictator" -- over his joint news conference Wednesday with US President Barack Obama that was marred by a delay in translation.

"He was speaking and they weren't translating. They normally translate every couple of words, but Hu Jintao was just going, 'ching chong, ching chong, chong,'" Limbaugh said, continuing his imitation at length.

Representative David Wu, the first Chinese American to serve in Congress and a member of Obama's Democratic Party, criticized Limbaugh for his "pathetic childishness."

"In doing so, he ridicules one of the world's oldest languages, insults the Chinese American and Asian American communities, and disrespects the 1.3 billion people of China," Wu said.

Source

Do words kill? The DJ was only commentating on the commie dictator, nothing to do with the chinese masses. It is his freedom of speech over the dictator matter, and his freedom to show his own stupidity and ignorance over the chinese language, which many should lighten up and laugh at him.

Of more concern, I am ashamed that David Wu, an elected congressman in a democracy would pinpoint that DJ for calling out a dictator, enslaver of 1.3 billion chinese masses, as childish. There are already 30 million commie card waving bootlickers in China, no need another one, worse still, sitting in congress.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder

Originally posted by Alxandro

I cannot translate literally, but I will give you the gist.

It means: " I am an ignorant tool of the powers working to destroy democracy and America. I am so lucky to have people listen to me that are so incredibly stupid and easy to lead around by the ring in their noses. If people ever wake up and start reasoning critically, I will be doomed."

Wow, that language is pretty potent, so much can be said with so few words.
Thank you so much for taking the time to translate.

That Hu character is one arrogant SOB to come to the White House and tell us about his ching chong plan to destroy America.

And the audacity of Obama for bowing down to him.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by sweetliberty

It seems to be easy, fun words to to say when pretending to speak their language but it is actually an insult to them.

Right.

Like when people pretend they are speaking Spanish by just adding an "o" to the end of their English words.

Although with Spanish, sometimes that actually works.

IMO, this whole demanding apologies thing is nothing more than another example of "political correctness" gone out of control. Thought police in action.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Lighten up! Geez! Everyone is so darned sensitive these days.
Oooh, I'm offended by this.
Oooh, I'm offended by that.

There is an off switch on radios, and free speech doesn't mean (yet) that you HAVE to listen.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

I agree.

I am so sick and tired of it all!

Regardless of who we American's might insult, be it on purpose or from ignorance, our talking head's in Office should remind the other countries that our Constitution allows this.
This should be explained to the dictators from other countries with as few words as possible and also a mature and respectable tone. They should defend each and every American each and every time it is needed. This includes defending people like the Rev. Terry Jones who threatened to burn the Quran!

This should also apply to the politicians here in America who hold an office such as David Wu and Mike Honda who are quoted in link in the OP. Not to mention Hillary Clinton and any religious figure who seeks to over power the rights of American Citizens.

It's all "Pot, meet Black" not to mention a quick 15 minutes of plugging your name and party.
The MSM is at fault too. They will continue to push this agenda until they explode into a million pieces. It's out of control all for the sake of control... control, greed and pent up hate for those who refuse to submit.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
How did I know it was Rush Limbaugh? Crazy!
I must be a psychic.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
In the uk that woud be seen as racism. It is beind derogatory of another based on issue or race....

bad taste..

kx

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Yes by all means lets concentrate on what Rush Limbaugh said, instead of worrying about lost jobs to China, Their actions towards N. Korea, their currency manipulation, and screweing the US over any chance they can get.

I dont know whats worse, we care what Rush thinks, or the fact we ignore the other 9k pound gorilla in the room that is China.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join