It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ex-cop faces 30 years over torture of suspects

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Ex-cop faces 30 years over torture of suspects

www.msnbc.msn.com

CHICAGO — As a decorated Chicago police lieutenant, Jon Burge prided himself on sending bad guys to prison by getting them to confess to terrible crimes — and by committing terrible crimes himself in the process, prosecutors say.

Now, having been convicted of lying about the violent means he and his men used to get confessions, it is Burge's turn to face prison time.

With the sentencing hearing for Burge scheduled to start Thursday, prosecutors say his perjury and obstruction of justice convictions add up to 30-plus years in federal prison.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Simply disgusting.

This guy epitomizes what goes wrong when someone who has no business in being in a role of 'authority' somehow not only is granted that role, but is promoted all the way to the top within the structure of it.

Not only did this guy have his own little 'mini-guantanamo' running, but, as we can see, many of the alleged 'confessions' he obtained through barbaric brutality, actually led to FALSE IMPRISONMENT of said suspects, proving yet again that torture does not work---an individual under extreme duress will simply say whatever you want them to say, to stop your brutality against them.

Completely horrific. This guy is the lowest of the low.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
damn...this si why people are afreaid to report crimes and talk to cops. they themselves might be ilelgaly suspected, and sent to priosn o the cop can make a quota name and raise..meanwhile the guilty person is sitting at home laughing at it all comitting more crimes perhaps. Probably even thanking the cop for his own evil misjudged ways.
wonder what would happen in prison to a cop like this guy..be thanked or hung?

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
He'll be given the Medal of Honor like Bush.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Not that all cops are bad without the law the world would be a nasty place!

But im glad that this abusive cop has been jailed.

there is too many cops abusing there authority, if more abusive cops were made examples of the police force service could be improved.

My friend was slammed into the side of a police van bruising his face by a cop. The cop wanted to search him because they saw him give his mate £20 so he could get a taxi home!

After searching him and finding nothing they unhand cuffed him and said he could go!

he said he was going to put in a complaint in the morning and the police office just laughed at him and said he was to drunk to be able to report anything in the morning!

Cop got reported next day, ma mate didnt get anywhere though, it was his word and his mates against 3 cops!

It ended with one cop getting a disiplinary!

Disgusting

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
My local Chicago news has been reporting on this all morning. While the prosecutor is trying to get 30-years, the sad fact is that the sentencing recommendations in state law propose only up to 20 months. This is due to the fact he was convicted of perjury, not police abuse or torure because the statute of limitations has been reached on the torture charges. Keep in mind these incidents happened almost 20 years ago.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by indianajoe77

20 years down to 20 months a big difference!

Damn what is so wrong with the current system!

Probably be kept in isolation as well so no criminal he has put away is going to try and have a pop at him!

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

S&F, good find and thanks for posting.

Now if we could only hold the past administration to the same standard of justice before the statute of limitations expires on their, all too similar crimes. This is the reason for the huge opposition to trying Guantanamo prisoners in civilian courts, because if they did, the truth could actually come out and force the prosecution of a former U.S. president as well as a great number of the people that make up "TPTB." What a great day that would be.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
It's amazing how long and to what extent some of these armed henchmen of the state end up operating entirely unchecked.

There really needs to be some form of more comprehensive civilian oversight of police departments, something similiar to the Red Cross that is neutral and ensures fair treatment for both sides by reporting and documenting allegations in a procedure that is time honored and sacrosanct and untouchable, that can't be corrupted.

With the War on Terror subjecting Police Officers across the nation to vigorous training procedures often devised and taught by private security firms, the Police Officers are being trained to view every American with added and some would say unhealthy and unreasonable degrees of suspicion, and to act towards all citizens in an increasingly aggressive manner.

It's turning into a permission slip for police to often mistreat and abuse, absolutely law abiding citizens in their day to day pursuits, who through that process end up coming in contact with the police in the pursuit of their day to day pursuits.

I recently witnessed an elderly couple be cursed at in the most profane ways just for inquiring of an officer why traffic was restricted to one lane well after a palm tree on the side of the road had caught fire and then been put out by the fire department.

This is what far to many police now think of the citizens that they are supposed to be protecting and serving.

Sadly for every officer like this that through sheer luck or someone's determination to defy those and expose those who will use lethal force to protect themselves if necessary, thousands of similiarly corrupt and dangerous officers go unchallenged and undected by a system that is training them constantly to believe all Americans are a potential threat to them and the state.

Moving forward without some kind of recognized and protected civilian body with an oversight role and access to deal with these ever increasing abuses, we are more and more going to be hostage too, and the victims of, the individual whims of police officers drunk on their own power over others.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

We already have a citzens board of review for the CPD in Chicago that looks at abuse complaints. It was established shortly after many of these allegations came about.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
In before: This is nothing, I found out that police in the UK have been using electronic mind control in UK schools. They have spent 19 years trying to make me commit a crime. My life is a fact.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
i will be shocked if he even serves half that sentence.

cops where i live murder people and only serve about a year or 2
edit:: and thats AFTER the gun enhancement
edit on 20-1-2011 by RelentlessLurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
hmmm.
Jon Burge-> J.B.-> Jack Bauer?? Is it possible that he got the idea to find out anything that he wanted to know, by any means necessary, by watching '24.' Will FOX or Kiefer be charged for this also?
Just a thought

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Or the other way around---Perhaps Keifer based his character on a crooked, brutal thug like this.

Scary thing is, in either case, how folks like this are looked at as 'heros'---Sutherlands character by fans, and this cop by his underlings in the department.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

So every person he put in jail through these methods (or says he used these methods on them) gets a retrial now huh? This cop deserves every bit of the 30 years. He just cost the taxpayers millions, and possibly put innocents away as well.

edit on 20-1-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

All the police in london must be the same. Serial killers the lot of them, and people like me who have never committed any crimes, but where targeted by them, have there lifes ruined forever.

The police are the worst of the worst scum. They literally do target people just because there friends want it, and for no other reason.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Karma - the most perfect natural law of our existence.Its a beautiful thing seeing justice served to these criminals with badges.
Lets hope the innocents he put away catch up with him in prison and have a little chat.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   

anyone who thinks just because you have a badge you're a good guy is a half-wit.. 2/3 of cops are the lowest form of human life known to man. I was a marine a nd a federal officer and regretfully made this conclusion after years of helping dirtbags put away lesser dirtbags for bogus things..

cops "pin on their courage strap on their balls" as a great usmc chief warrant officer used to say..

i relish the day some three letter ageny goon trespasses on my property violating my rights to liberty and property.. former marine vs dirtbag fed.. that'll be good.. who cares if i leave 6ft under what have i left? a world where cowards have badges? i'd rather die killing the first few stasi/jackboots than be one of the cowardly sheeple too worried about their 401k..

come one dhs, some of you will leave my property in a bodybag alongside me...

oh, as a former sniper i aim for the neck, how much body armor is there around the neck, i can hit "in the black" at 500 yards..

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
It turns out Burge is not going to get the 30 years as some have speculated. He was sentenced to 4.5 years in prison on the perjury charges related to lying about allegations of torture while a member of the Chicago Police Department.

Burge given 4 1/2 years in prison

As far as I am concerned and learning about the in and outs of his disgraceful and notorious career, I had hoped he had gotten the maximum sentence. However, any time in prison is better than nothing. His crimes are old and he has been off of the force since 1993. Only by blind luck and the tenacious actions by Federal Prosecutor, Patrick Fitzgerald, they were able to get him on the perjury charge. It is to bad he did not have to answer for the torture allegations, but any punishment is better than nothing. To get the whole scope about this affair and how far it reaches please take a look at the thread I posted awhile back about this matter.

Torture, by those trusted to Serve and Protect

Hopefully, the others who had worked with Burge are indicted and convicted as well. There is more to this case than just former Police Commander, John Burge. The intrigue and deceit reaches far and wide, and is not isolated to the Chicago Police Department. More people need to answer for Burge's misdeeds, and why his atrocities were covered up for so long. On another note, here is a good article about another former Chicago Police Officer opening up about his experiences in prison and what Burge may face when it is his time to report to the hoosegow.

When cops go to jail

Hopefully, this sentence brings some closure to the victims of this monster, and to the families indirectly affected by him. Any justice is better than nothing.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soshh
In before: This is nothing, I found out that police in the UK have been using electronic mind control in UK schools. They have spent 19 years trying to make me commit a crime. My life is a fact.

Sounds like you and andy1033 have a lot in common .

Have you made a thread about this , can you point me in its direction?

Thanks Soshh

++++++++++++++
edit to add:

Now I get it ......

edit on 22-1-2011 by UmbraSumus because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join