It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High schools begin censoring your facebook

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
As if it wasnt crazy enough, this is a clear case of overstepping your authority.

You people in the US are not free you are slaves, and I would not even call it a system. I call it tyrany.

chicago.cbslocal.com...

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   

A concerned mother contacted the media about the list, saying it was distributed by a teen via Facebook and paper copies throughout the school. The woman, who did not want to be named, said the school has not had an appropriate response and is not returning phone calls.

Um, this is a rape list.

Sorry dude, guy was distributing it in school, the school had every right to step in once he distributed the list on paper in school. This is not appropriate at all for school hours.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Actually I don't see that as censoring, but as a needed discplinary action, taken in a responsible way by the school to address a bully, because he would have caused that kind of response from teachers in my school days in Canada too because the girls and their parents would have been really upset.
edit on 19-1-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Haha, the hangover... I think its funny. People are just too soft.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno

A concerned mother contacted the media about the list, saying it was distributed by a teen via Facebook and paper copies throughout the school. The woman, who did not want to be named, said the school has not had an appropriate response and is not returning phone calls.

Um, this is a rape list.

Post the quote that says is a "rape list".

I don't believe you without the quote.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Where is the censorship? Besides, children go to school to learn not waste tax payers money by making a nuisance of themselves on antisocial notworking sites. Also, freespeech stops when it starts to infringe on the rights of others.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by fianna

All Facebooks for kids below legal age or under 18 should be censored. If I don't have access to my kid's FB, they don't get to use any computers or telephone at home and their mobile phone is taken off them.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
The kid should get punished, what right does he have to rank these girls and then go and publish it, if I was one of the girls parents and expecially since this is his third time doing it, I would want him to get some kind of punishment.

Some of the names were a little amusing though.....

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by MoneyRain

Really that sounds like mind control... Your gonna punish me for putting my thoughts on paper.

For example
I think your ass.

Your gonna punish me for writing that go ahead and try... Come to my house like you say you would and do something.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by fianna

People are absolutely mental. The people i went to school with wanted to commit my murder, and carried it on for years, so i know about scum in schools.

Amazing that rubbish like facebook exists. Scum running schools, over scum in students.

The endless cycle of scum, and what do we get - facebook.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by fianna

Dude your clearly crazy and I didn't really get your post but how would you feel if your daughter was on that list getting past around school?

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by fianna

If this was done on School time, property or equipment - then the school has legitimate recourse.

If this was not done on School time, property or equipment - then the school has no legitimate action.

End story.

Schools and school faculty and administrators over-stepping their bounds is preparing kids for "Big Brother"

Not a government plan, but a societal shift; kids are learning that they will be monitored by authority figures even as adults.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by fianna

BTW: flagged and starred.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
These kind of lists have been going around schools for years, its just now they're online as well because that's the medium kids are used to working in (plus its much easier to compile and share information online).

edit on 19-1-2011 by maskfan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Um, this is a rape list.

What do you mean? With sources, please.

reply to post by fianna

I remember we did something similar in high school, just not so offensive. Considering that this student was already punished for it in the past, and the list was offensive and distributed in school, suspension is a right course of action, IMHO.
edit on 19/1/11 by Maslo because: typo

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by fianna

Nonsense!

While here know I default to freedom of speech, in this case nothing indicates censorship. It does show, what appears to be a child that has no respect for others. It shows an individual who thinks they are clever and witty by commiting slander towards others.

And while he was able to speak freely, that speech had consequences...apparently in times past according to the article.

Not everything is censorship.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by fianna
reply to post by MoneyRain

Really that sounds like mind control... Your gonna punish me for putting my thoughts on paper.

For example
I think your ass.

Your gonna punish me for writing that go ahead and try... Come to my house like you say you would and do something.

Wow...some anger issues maybe????

This is NOT censorship. It is called protecting minors from harrassment, slander and bullying. According to the article, it was sexually graphic, lies, racist and hateful. He distributed the list on paper AT school. Just HOW do you think that is okay?

Not sure how it is where you are from, but here in the US kids (and parents) have a certain expectation of a safe environment when they are at school. The school was WELL whithin their right to suspend or expell this student. HE was infringing on the rights of those students and he's lucky if he doesn't face criminal harrassment charges, especially if he had done it in the past already. As a parent, if my child were on that list, I would be talking to the authorities, as well as the school.

BTW, your title is quite misleading and inaccurate. The school was NOT censoring Facebook. They are disciplining a student that violated school policy while at school. Stop trying to sensationalize this or twist the facts around.

down for the thread.
edit on 19-1-2011 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

STARRED! I totally agree. This little TARD was posting personal and demeaning information about girls in his school. It is probably a good thing that he doesn't like girls because I do not see him going on lots of dates anytime soon.

An experiment in censorship. Try posting personal and demeaning information about the OP. Then see how long it takes for him to complain about it to the staff.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

It really isn't about the personal information either. It is border-line slanderous. The intent of the 'list' was to harm another person's reputation. The school (which is rare) took the correct action and quelled this before it turned into something much worse.

Again, I always err on the side of liberty and free speech....this little story has nothing to do with either!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join