It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Gold?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I see a lot of people saying to by gold for if/when TSHTF and to me it doesnt make a lot of sense to have a lot of gold, I would think that ammo, food and a set of skills would be more valuable than all the gold you could carry. If its just for trade I would think whisky, food, ammo, antibiotics...........*** SNIP Mod Edit****......would be better trade goods than gold. You cant eat gold, it wont protect you or make you well if sick or infected.

If anything I would think the only thing it would do is make you a target for those who think gold would still be worth anything

Mod Edit: 16e.) Illicit Activity: Discussion of illicit activities, specifically the use of mind-altering drugs & substances, engaging in computer hacking, promoting criminal hate, discussing sexual relations with minors, and furtherance of financial schemes and scams are strictly forbidden. You will also not link to sites or online content that contains discussion or advocacy of such material. Any Post mentioning or advocating personal use of illicit mind-altering drugs will result in immediate account termination. www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 1/20/11 by FredT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by lastrebel

I've always thought the gold thing was impractical as well. A utilitarian skill set will be far more valuable in any rebuilding process.

And, after TSHTF, we should recognize that it is an opportunity to start over--to fix the problems of this world that led to TSHTF. Monetary economics (which gold would represent) is, in my opinion, one such problem. Why anyone would want to continue using such a system is beyond me.

And that's my $0.02.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Yeah! Gold is the biggest scam for the fraidy cats out there. Most of the people buying gold don't even keep it there possesion. It is often kept in vaults that are mantained by the sellers of said gold.

You think when TSHTF that Glenn Beck and all his gold will keep him fed and warm? TPTB are going to their cushy underground bunkers. Sorry Glenn, no nut jobs allowed, on top brass, high enders allowed in there!

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
buy copper cased lead, and lots of it. it will be worth more than all the gold in the world very soon

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by lastrebelI see a lot of people saying to by gold for if/when TSHTF and to me it doesnt make a lot of sense to have a lot of gold, I would think that ammo, food and a set of skills would be more valuable than all the gold you could carry. If its just for trade I would think whisky, food, ammo, antibiotics...........heck even weed......would be better trade goods than gold. You cant eat gold, it wont protect you or make you well if sick or infected.

Yeah, as Dave Ramsey says, Gold is the Snuggie of investments; you just look stupid if you buy it. Now later as the society reorganizes gold may indeed be a good thing to have since it may be the only way to conduct a large transaction.

As of right now I own 40 acres free and clear, two barns a tractor, 8 horses, 12 dairy cows, 20 milk goats, 30+ laying hens, ducks, geese two steer and a # load of cats and dogs. 10 Acres of soy going in this spring "organic" soy was 19.00 a bushel last year. 10 Acres of hay also can probly get 3 cuts out of it - way less if I have to do by hand.

However; having Amish neighbors will be a great thing - I can trade them my military skills (since they won't defend themselves) for their skill sets that will be suddenly very valuable.

Horses can all be ridden and or traded to people who need them to get to the right number. Milk does a body good, I will "cull" the herd so to speak to a without electricity level if I have to by bartering away for things with the Amish I need but use machinery for now like maybe the tack and harnesses for plowing by team rather than tractor and a grinding wheel or anvil etc...

As for currency every time I go to town (admittedly about 2-3 times a month) I buy a box of 12 gauge shot and .22 LR rounds.

I have plenty of 7.62 and .45 for defense but 12 gauges and .22 LR will be currency IMO for hunting. Most ppl around here have nothing bigger in rifle.

Right now my wife and I live off my military retirement and some extra money for substitute teaching and have extra money every month but come Armageddon I think my stock will go way up IMO.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

you are one of the ones that will make it through so do not worry about the others they will be loaded down with useless gold, cant eat drink nor buy what is too be free. ok may be amongst your gold packing selves but when it come's to me it will be food ammo first aid, water, seeds, and other needs not gold silver nor money, well ok Penney's nickels and paper the pe's and nic. i can melt down for use as lead , and i think we all know what the paper will be for.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I would also think Food,Ammo,Alcohol,Antibiotics and fuel would be the most important assets. i never once thought GOLD? Even electricity might be a very valuable resource in TSHTF. I honestly do not no how gold would mean anything in a destroyed area were looting is taking place.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   

To my knowledge, gold is most useful for retaining purchasing power of very large amounts of wealth.

If the SHTF, are you going to worry about saving your life, or saving your 401-K ???

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by windwordYou think when TSHTF that Glenn Beck and all his gold will keep him fed and warm? TPTB are going to their cushy underground bunkers. Sorry Glenn, no nut jobs allowed, on top brass, high enders allowed in there!

Actually, I've heard him infer that he has a bunker of his own - I bet he does too; he makes enough to build one.

Hardened Structures

People with his wealth and mind set will have their own. Likely with a private Army of contractors to maintain and guard it 24/7 as well.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by lastrebel
I see a lot of people saying to by gold for if/when TSHTF and to me it doesnt make a lot of sense to have a lot of gold, I would think that ammo, food and a set of skills would be more valuable than all the gold you could carry. If its just for trade I would think whisky, food, ammo, antibiotics...........heck even weed......would be better trade goods than gold. You cant eat gold, it wont protect you or make you well if sick or infected.

If anything I would think the only thing it would do is make you a target for those who think gold would still be worth anything

Now is NOT the time to buy gold. I purchased gold when it was @$550/ounce. I wouldn't buy gold now. I think silver is a better buy.

Then again, I think copper jacketed lead and the means to throw it downrange is a FAR better way to invest. I also agree that food, booze, smokes and antibiotics are something you'll want as will others. If others want it, you can trade/barter.

I have all of the above but see food and antibiotics as the best bang for my buck. The biggest bang is what I have to defend them...but you get the idea.

I've even thought of selling my bike to stock up on more of the essentials...heaven forbid...

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   

I see a lot of people saying to by gold for if/when TSHTF and to me it doesnt make a lot of sense to have a lot of gold, I would think that ammo, food and a set of skills would be more valuable than all the gold you could carry. If its just for trade I would think whisky, food, ammo, antibiotics...........heck even weed......would be better trade goods than gold. You cant eat gold, it wont protect you or make you well if sick or infected.

every one of your arguements are sound...however in a post collapse world...there will be needed at least
someone in the tribe of survivors community that has at least enough physical gold to use for trade or
constructing some form of new-world alliances...

all those other resources are great for setting up a self-sustaining community and being as self-reliant as
possible... but as in all life, everywhere, at any time... there will arise the 'chaos' or the unplanned 'black Swan' event --- that is the mileu of all groups or tribes or social structures

unless your a confirmed hermit/mountain-man/loner

i myself, with 3 others which i will assume i will provide shelter and a modicum of sanctuary for...
will have a 'spartan' 6 months of food and other necessities...along with a very modest ammount of universal accepted currency = 'gold'... everyone should have at least 10-20 silver coins or equivelent for trade etc

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by bozzchem

To paraphrase...................

They will take my Harley when they pry it from my cold dead fingers...........

While it wouldnt surive a complete collaspe back to the dark ages it would be good for pretty much anything less.

Cheap on gas, parts would be easy to get, it can go places that cars and trucks cant, its faster than a horse, easier to get around abandened cars on the road, etc

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by bozzchem

never thought of silver bullets. Copper and nickle do ok i do use lead a lot of lead for my black powder guns wonder how silver will fair? gold is just "tmopita" to mess with.wonder how it tastes when that is all you will have to eat.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by bekod

Exactly

its only real value is in what you can trade for it, and Who would trade there meger supplies for gold to begin with? If your starving you arent gonna trade the rabbit you caught for its weight in gold

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
you will make it as well, and oh ya i think there will be the diehard's that will be trading gold but with each other, and when one of them has all the gold then they will kill each other for it, and wonder why there is so much gold, it will be worthless it will have no use, lead will be the new gold, at lest with lead you can hunt for your own food, and defend your self, gold ??? i do not think it would work as a lead replacement silver, copper, and nickle do just fine.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Knowledge, skill and experience far more valuable / useful than gold.
Would laugh at anyone offering me shiny peices of metal... Then once stopped laughing would help them out without charge.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   

I'm going to have to agree with you here... Gold is probably going to be pretty useless, it's just a shiny rock afterall. Alcohol, pot, food, ammo, medicine, those are the valuable commodities just like you said. And skills can be used to procure the things you need as well. Good post dude.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by totalmetal

I think lots of people buy gold because they believe that 2012 is going to be about the return of the gods, the annunakis, and they are the superior beings, our creators, and what they need is gold, if u cant offer gold u r annihilated as being useless, this is why all the gods of the ancients were covered in gold or plain gold statues. Also gold could be useful for radiation from the sun, u can wear sheets of gold inside ur jacket to reflect solar radiations. Other than that if u dont believe in Summerian texts then just buy canned meats

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ruffagii

???? If your an alien and can travel through space, you don't need gold. Maybe there coming for the crap that comes out of these forums?

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   
The reason for stockpiling gold is not for every SHTF scenario. Predominately, you should buy gold in the event of an economic collapse.

Gold is still universally recognized. Traditionally, it's value has only gone up. Whereas dollar based currencies are prone to fluctuation. Keep in mind that Gold is a semi-rare element that cannot be counterfeited. In the 1800's, it was worth about $15/ounce. Today it is worth about $1300/ounce.

The US Dollar could collapse tomorrow and not be worth the paper it's printed on. But gold will always have it's value. A bunch of nukes land on major cities, much of the paper currency in the United States will be destroyed or stolen. Nobody will be buying or selling anything. The stock market would be almost nonexistant. The dollar would crash. Gold would still have value.

When the economy is reestablished, you will still have quite a bit of money. In fact, you might have more money if the price of gold skyrockets as a result.

Now the exception is if an event takes place which will take generations to recover from. If much of the population is eradicated, for example, and every day becomes a fight for survival, your gold will not be worth anything. If the food supply suddenly fails, gold will not do you any good.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join