It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There were 3867 more earthquakes in the USA than last year!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
According to the US Geological Survey National Earthquake Information Center
earthquake.usgs.gov...
the USA had 8131 earthquakes. In 2009 we had 4264 earthquakes. That’s 3867 more earthquakes than last year. However in 2008 we had 3618 earthquakes, compared to 2791 earthquake in 2007.
From 1990 to 1999 there were only 3 years (1992,1994 and 1999) that the USA exceeded 3000 earthquakes.
earthquake.usgs.gov...
And in the years from 2000 to 2010, there were 6 years that exceeded 3000 earthquakes.
So fare this years, the USA has had 33 earthquakes.
These graphs are supplied from the USGS at earthquake.usgs.gov...
Here is the predicted 2010 to 2011 USA earthquakes.

And here is last year actual.

And for the decade of the 1980's.

Notice any difference?

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Awesome... Expect more.

Also, Earth is not fragile. What a load of bs... Everything is going according to plan.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Mayura

Agreed. Were only half way through the month and we have had 33.
Wow, now's there's a Freakmason number!

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
The has been about 125 quakes since Jan 1st 2011 its been about a half a month so multiply that by 24... is exactly 3000 so at this rate the quakes now are not a big deal because they will be about or less than 2010 so i say nothing to worry about.

edit on 16/1/2011 by annunakiexpert because: spelling

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by annunakiexpert
The has been about 125 quakes since Jan 1st 2011 its been about a half a month so multiply that by 24... is exactly 3000 so at this rate the quakes now are not a big deal because they will be about or less than 2010 so i say nothing to worry about.

edit on 16/1/2011 by annunakiexpert because: spelling

125?
Really?
Source please.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
That's a bit of a jump if you look at the last 20 years. On average It was around 3000 a year but over 8000 last year in 2010. This is something to raise an eyebrow about. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
edit on 16-1-2011 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
So let me ask this....

How many seismographs were added each year in the past 20 years versus how many were removed?

I absolutely agree that there has been an increase, but some could be misinterpreted.

~Namaste

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

neic.usgs.gov... count them up

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonOfTheLawOfOne
So let me ask this....

How many seismographs were added each year in the past 20 years versus how many were removed?

I absolutely agree that there has been an increase, but some could be misinterpreted.

~Namaste

I'm not a real geologist (but I do play one on TV :lol
, but
it wouldn't matter how many seismographs you would have. The USA is only so big and the one's that are working now record everything down to mine blasts. And the mine blasts can be recorded from coast to coast. New one's are not needed for recording the number of occurrences.
IMHO.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   

neic.usgs.gov... count them up

These are worldwide earthquakes.
I'm using the figures from earthquake.usgs.gov...
Their number is 33.
If the USGS made a mistake, don't shoot the messenger.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
sorry your right even so super low number the earthquakes now are not a big deal i think everyone is just freaking out

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
well, some could argue that more earthquakes is good - it releases the pressure built up, pushing off the probability of The Big One for a few more years.

BTW, from the same site cited above:

The USGS estimates that several million earthquakes occur in the world each year. Many go undetected because they hit remote areas or have very small magnitudes. The NEIC now locates about 50 earthquakes each day, or about 20,000 a year.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

33 so far in the US? Not a big deal at all.

"Although it may seem that we are having more earthquakes, earthquakes of magnitude 7.0 or greater have remained fairly constant throughout this century and, according to our records, have actually seemed to decrease in recent years. There are several reasons for the perception that the number of earthquakes, in general, and particularly destructive earthquakes is increasing:" (see link)

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ns9504
well, some could argue that more earthquakes is good - it releases the pressure built up, pushing off the probability of The Big One for a few more years.

I do have to wonder what is causing this decades long, incremental build up of pressure.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Maybe the pressure buld up is from global warming?? If you are heating up the atmosphere would not that act like insulation for the furnace we have in the middle of our planet?? Wouldnt that cause expansion? I wonder what 1 degree rise in the inside of the earth would mean in the amount of expansion that would occure??

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Dear OP, please review your 'statistical information' ... i believe you are confused.
first, you don't indicate magnitudes and it Does make a difference.

Not every quake results in obvious pressure release, ground separation or even gaseous clouds.
However, the frequency of the increased magnitude is unusual (regardless of how many total quakes recorded) and quite notable.

second, at the current rate of mag 6/7+s during the first 2 wks of this year, we are on a course of nearly triple last years (2010) records.
2009 - 6 or above = 4 US / 161 world
2010 - 6 or above = 9 US / 174 world
1st 16 days of 2011 = 7 worldwide / 0 USA
please review this link also: earthquake.usgs.gov...

third, the total of mag 6/7+ quakes IN the USA for both 2009 (4) & 2010 (9) = 13 / 2011 - 0 (to date)
and lastly, why would you 'count' quakes of -0- magnitude anyway? (look closer at the chart you linked)

As of this point in time, the only real marker here is the increase in (worldwide) frequency and magnitude, that's about it for now.

Yes, the Michigan rattle and the recent Montana shakes are relatively new for both areas (but again, that's just new to this generation) wait til the St Louis caldera shows signs of increased activity ... or when the seismic rattles coincide with increased volcanic disruptions/eruptions across the globe ... maybe then more ppl will 'notice'. somehow though, i doubt it.
geosciences.missouristate.edu...
bulletin.geoscienceworld.org...

did anyone else catch this 'weather anomaly' (it's called) reported in Australia a couple days ago?
______beforeitsnews/story/357/400/Huge_ring_appears_over_Australia,_is_HAARP_involved.html

It shows a very large rotating over the western Australia where the mysterious large ring appeared from which a small but brief condense trail formed off the coastline and from the center what had been the huge ring a series of what appears to be three mini spiraling arms are seen moving out of the area, moving north east. This is one of those rare occasions when I could buy weather experimentation effects or other experiments
being performed by HAARP are being observed. It is hoped to receive an explanation from the Australian Government Weather Bureau for these series of strange effects.

edit on 17-1-2011 by Honor93 because: edit numbers / dyslexic errors

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Reply to Violater1 & Itsawild1:

The pressure I was referring to is in regard to plate techtonics. There are many excellent websites explaining how earthquakes work, this is just one. Plate info and pressure build up is on page 3 & 4:

In all of these types of faults, the different blocks of rock push very tightly together, creating a good deal of friction as they move. If this friction level is high enough, the two blocks become locked -- the friction keeps them from sliding against each other. When this happens, the forces in the plates continue to push the rock, increasing the pressure applied at the fault.

If the pressure increases to a high enough level, then it will overcome the force of the friction, and the blocks will suddenly snap forward. To put it another way, as the tectonic forces push on the "locked" blocks, potential energy builds. When the plates are finally moved, this built-up energy becomes kinetic. Some fault shifts create visible changes at the earth's surface, but other shifts occur in rock well under the surface, and so don't create a surface rupture.

science.howstuffworks.com...

There are discussions in the science community that the melting ice caps (especially Greenland) may lead to more earthquakes, but again this is in relation to pressure build up - heavy ice lifting off. Plenty of information out there, just google "melting ice earthquakes"

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

You sir are the one confused.
The number of quakes speak for them selves.
Instead of trolling, review the numbers from the USGS.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ns9504

I have no questions regarding how it works. The increase in the number of quakes speak for themselves.
If you feel that the figures are incorrect, please notify the USGS. I'm sure that they would be interested in your information.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   

sorry your right even so super low number the earthquakes now are not a big deal i think everyone is just freaking out

Apology accepted.
Please review the USGS site and you will see that the number of earthquakes have almost doubled since last year. From the data that the USGS provides, this is the most numerous we have ever had!

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

well, you did say "I do have to wonder what is causing this decades long, incremental build up of pressure." so you can see why I assumed you didn't know how earthquakes work.

as for the figures, I don't think we can only look at the number of earthquakes. Magnitude, type, depth, and location need to be factored in before sweeping statements are made. Yes, the numbers are higher than last year, but 3K in the world of earthquakes is really not that big.

Respectfully, this thread feels like its trying to make mountains out of mole hills...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join