It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Southern Hurricane/Cyclone/Typhoon Watch 2011-2012

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Looks like Perth is gonna cop some moisture from TC Bianca:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5f99737febd4.gif[/atsimg]

And just south of Townsville is going to get TC Anthony:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e4290de0d737.gif[/atsimg]

And this is the track map for the low over Fiji way heading west. This is the one the authorities seem edgy about:

So far Gladstone/Harvey Bay area seems the place not to be next week.
edit on 29-1-2011 by zenius because: spelling

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Twin cyclones:

You can see TC Anthony crossing the Queensland coast and to the east is TC Yasi...a huge system by size comparison.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by zenius

This is frightening, TC Anthony is pretty much hovering over the coast right now about 300kms north of were I am, My cousin is ground zero at the moment in Mackay and they are getting hammered by this cat 2 cyclone and it closed in very quick check this clip from only 2 days ago 28/01.

As you said this is scary looking at the size difference of the cat 2 TC Anthony crossing land and TC Yasi.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
HOLY COW!!!
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e51bc1037e10.jpg[/atsimg]

Correct me if Im wrong...

But if this is Anthony...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bfcbef3e0fc2.jpg[/atsimg]

And Anthony looks like this..

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c3fb76ce1947.jpg[/atsimg]

what da will Yaris look like

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9811ff2ed3e6.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by zenius

Bit of Flooding up in Northland and through the Bay of Plenty.

Right now really windy here in the Cook Strait area ( Gale Force 90kmph+) but I think thats from a Low coming from south of NZ

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by heineken

Thats a whopper

Text from Fiji Regional Specialized Meteorological Centre, Nandi
www.met.gov.fj...

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Latest track map for TC Yasi

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by zenius

Keep an eye on this animation:

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
holy..... Is that image real.... that thing is intensifying big time. I was at work today and listen to the MSM it they were making out as if it was losing velocity and size? This image throws that theory out the window.... That is one scary weather pattern....

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by dniMnepO

No way! It's now a cat 3 and the tidal surge is expected to reach a metre. They are starting evacuations tomorrow.
link

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Cyclone Yasi, which threatens to develop into one of the worst storms the state has seen.

sry friends..i cannot contribute much since im at work..i will be coming hoping for more info in this thread so my appreciation towards fellow members who got the time to look further into this. Please post anything related since IMO this is Huge!!

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   
As I replied in another thread my biggest fear as that most houses built below the northern Queensland regioun (below mackay/bowen) do not generally experience weather this severe and our houses are not cyclone rated and simply are not built as strong as houses in the northern parts on Queensland. I worked on houses after cyclone Larry in North Qld and anything that was built pre 1980's was not cyclone rated and basically blew too the ground. Cases were one house blew down and the one next door were commonly because the house still standing had its roof screwed down with cyclone rated washes and with alot of bracings and tie downs. Houses in central Qld are simply not built the same as a house in Northern Qld because each builders competes for the lowest quote and builds the houses to the minimal cost.
If your living on the Queensland Coast please make a sound decision on weather to stay or evacuate your home and looking as the way this thing is moving it will be more clear on were its going to cross the coast tomorrow morning.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
The latest track map shows the cyclone tracking further north towards Cairns.

Friends & family in Cairns have told me they are evacuating the hospital and low lying coastal areas. I was isolated there during and after a cat.3 which was bad enough, so please if you live anywhere which may be unsafe get out TODAY!!! The cyclone was travelling at 30km/h yesterday. Today it is 35-40km/h. Picking up speed and strength and it wouldn't surprise me if it makes landfall sooner than expected. It is reported that it will be a cat 4 by this afternoon sometime.
www.couriermail.com.au...

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I was just looking at that page you posted before I came here.... It looks kind of odd in the direction they are pointing, I have been following these live images and looks as if that last 4-6 hourrs it has been moving south-west, tropical cyclones are extremely unpredictable hence only up untill a decade ago they were named after Women

Following these live images www.goes.noaa.gov...
edit on 31-1-2011 by dniMnepO because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   
No new links or anything, but heard on the car radio driving home that outlying areas are being officially warned to be prepared to survive independantly for 3 days, electricity WILL be cut when this hits.
Looking at the last map above I wonder what amount of rain is going to fall inland when it gets past the coast.
More flooding

edit on 1-2-2011 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Im in Townsville and I got no way out so I'll just bunker downstairs.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

Reports are up to a metre of rain expected and a 2 metre tidal surge. All low lying areas around Cairns are being evacuated. Many of the northern suburbs or Cairns fit into this category. When I lived at Yorkey's Knob (yeh laugh) we had a cat 3 and were stuck there for 3 days. Idiots were going into the flood waters and crocodiles were seen a couple of km inland on the highway.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by 13arrows

I hope your downstairs is high and dry. Keep us informed of the conditions if you can and let us know the damage if and when you can when it's passed. good luck to you. Stay safe.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Advice no. 8 at 8pm Queensland time.

TOP PRIORITY TROPICAL CYCLONE ADVICE NUMBER 8 Issued by the Bureau of Meteorology, Brisbane Issued at 8:00pm EST on Tuesday the 1st of February 2011 A Cyclone WARNING is current for island and coastal areas from Cape Melville to Sarina, extending inland to Georgetown and to the west of Charters Towers. A Cyclone WATCH is current for island and coastal areas from Lockhart River to Cape Melville, and over the tropical interior. At 7:00 pm EST Severe Tropical Cyclone Yasi, Category 4 was estimated to be 950 kilometres east northeast of Cairns and 950 kilometres east northeast of Townsville moving west southwest at 30 kilometres per hour. YASI IS LARGE AND POWERFUL TROPICAL CYCLONE AND POSES A SERIOUS THREAT TO NORTH QUEENSLAND COMMUNITIES The Cyclone will continue to intensify and move in a west-southwesterly direction overnight. DAMAGING winds with gusts to 90 km/hr are expected to develop on the islands during Wednesday morning, then extend onto the coast during the day, and further inland across the northern tropical interior overnight. Between Cooktown and Ingham these winds will become DESTRUCTIVE with gusts in excess of 125km/hr on Wednesday afternoon and VERY DESTRUCTIVE with gusts above 200 km/hr between Port Douglas and Cardwell during the evening as the cyclone approaches. These VERY DESTRUCTIVE winds will extend onto the coastal ranges including the Atherton Tablelands on Wednesday evening. As the centre approaches and crosses the coast sea levels between Cairns and Townsville will rise significantly above the normal tide with damaging waves, strong currents and flooding of low lying areas in coastal parts. Flooding rains will develop from Cooktown to Sarina during Wednesday afternoon and then extend inland overnight. People between Cooktown and Sarina and extending inland to areas from Georgetown to west of Charters Towers should immediately commence or continue preparations, especially securing boats and property. - For cyclone preparedness and safety advice, visit Queensland's Disaster Management Services website [www.disaster.qld.gov.au] - For emergency assistance call the Queensland State Emergency Service [SES] on 132 500 [for assistance with storm damage, rising flood water, fallen trees on buildings or roof damage]. People between Lockhart River and Cooktown and the remaining tropical interior should consider what action they will need to take if the cyclone threat increases. - Information is available from your local government - For cyclone preparedness and safety advice, visit Queensland's Disaster Management Services website [www.disaster.qld.gov.au] - For emergency assistance call the Queensland State Emergency Service [SES] on 132 500 [for assistance with storm damage, rising flood water, fallen trees on buildings or roof damage]. Details of Severe Tropical Cyclone Yasi at 7:00 pm EST: .Centre located near...... 14.6 degrees South 154.3 degrees East .Location accuracy........ within 55 kilometres .Recent movement.......... towards the west southwest at 30 kilometres per hour .Wind gusts near centre... 230 kilometres per hour and INTENSIFYING .Severity category........ 4 .Central pressure......... 950 hectoPascals Please ensure that neighbours have heard and understood this message, particularly new arrivals or those who may not fully understand English. The next advice will be issued by 11:00 pm EST Tuesday 01 February.

BOM

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   
13ARROWS
I just read the Qld Police facebook page (great info during SE Qld floods) and got this:

Police will commence door knocks of homes in certain low lying areas in Townsville from 5am tomorrow to ensure evacuations occur ahead of TC Yasi. Residents in certain areas in Townsville are being urged to evacuate and police will be visiting homes to recommend evacuation in identified low lying areas. Local Disaster management teams have identified particular areas of concern where flooding is expected due to storm surge above the highest recorded tide height. Residents in these areas will be requested to evacuate. Residents are still encouraged to relocate to family or friends where possible.

edit on 1-2-2011 by zenius because: add

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join