It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If the Magnetic pole is shifting, why is my compass still pointing at the north star?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I normally use my smart phone to determine direction. Currently the compass in my phone is pointing 15 degrees to the west of the north star.

However my regular magnetic compass is pointing to the north star exactly.

Could the magnetic pole actually be just fine and it is the worlds GPS systems that are malfunctioning? I mean most airplanes rely on GPS these days don't they?
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f39f230596ed.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Pretty sure your compass points to the magnetic north pole and has no relation to the north star at all. The fact that the pole shift 50 miles into Russia doesn't mean that much, you'd have to be extremely close to see a difference on your compass.

i think, could be wrong on that.

Interesting theory though, maybe it is the GPS data, though that doesn't explain having to redo the magnetic strips at Tampa.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by robwerden

I have seen zero change in my compass as well. It must be a Texas thing

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
It must be a Florida thing since they changed the run way. Did they do all that for nothing, not doing their homework well enough. If that is true - not good.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Ya, the fact that im using the north star as a reference really is irrelevant. The fact still remains that the compass points north and the GPS points 15 degrees to the west.

So there clearly is a problem with the magnetic north pole and the GPS translation of north.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Looks like the declination accounts for some of the difference. According to the reading the declination on the GPS was 4 degrees.
So the difference of 11 degrees might be GPS error.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by phishybongwaters
Interesting theory though, maybe it is the GPS data, though that doesn't explain having to redo the magnetic strips at Tampa.

When was the last time that runway was painted? The reason I ask is because there is a gradual pole shift and occasionally airports throughout the world must repaint their runways to compensate for the gradual change. In all that I have read, there is no indication that the shift in Tampa occurred rapidly.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I beleive the article I read said something like that the pole is moving "40 miles a year towards russia"...I don't know how long this has been happening.

But 40 miles is nothing...I don't think it will be visible on a compass unless it keeps moving...then maybe in 20 years or so you will notice a difference. But I would say it will happen so gradually...that you won't even notice it.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Glad you notice this, I was looking to see if a compass would be useless when SHTF because I'm not taking any type of electrical equipment, due to tracking, I don't want to be found. I guess it almost is useless. The compass is pointing towards the northern magnetic force. The compass will still point to the pole no matter how much it shifts.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Depends a lot of your location too.

For example, it the magnetic North Pole moved 1000 miles in one day, in a direction straight towards you, your compass wouldn't change. Someone else a few thousand miles away would notice a big difference.

new topics

top topics

join