It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pole shift leads to shift in consciousness? Prove it!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
So, I read so much of the pole shift = consciousness shift that I've become completely baffled at the gullibility of people. It seems that anyone can be led to believe anything without the use of logic, reasoning, or rationality. All it takes is a few soft-spoken individuals in a viral video bemoaning today's world and telling of the wonders of 2012 and people are hooked, line and sinker.

Well where is the proof then? Where does the idea for this magical transformation come from?

Let's look at some of the hypotheses:

Pole Shift Hypotheses

Charles Hapgood is now perhaps the best remembered early proponent [of a pole shift]. In his books The Earth's Shifting Crust (1958) (which includes a foreword by Albert Einstein who was writing before the theory of plate tectonics was developed) and Path of the Pole (1970). Hapgood, building on Adhemar's much earlier model, speculated that the ice mass at one or both poles over-accumulates and destabilizes the Earth's rotational balance, causing slippage of all or much of Earth's outer crust around the Earth's core, which retains its axial orientation. Based on his own research, Hapgood argued that each shift took approximately 5,000 years, followed by 20,000- to 30,000-year periods with no polar movements. Also, in his calculations, the area of movement never covered more than 40 degrees. Hapgood's examples of recent locations for the North Pole include Hudson Bay (60šN, 73šW) , the Atlantic Ocean between Iceland and Norway (72šN, 10šE) and Yukon (63šN, 135šW). However, in his subsequent work The Path of the Pole, Hapgood conceded Einstein's point that the weight of the polar ice would be insufficient to bring about a polar shift. Instead, Hapgood argued that the forces that caused the shifts in the crust must be located below the surface. He had no satisfactory explanation for how this could occur.

From the same link:

Science:
Causes and Effects

The potential forces that could cause a reorientation of the Earth's axis of rotation include:

A postglacial crustal rebound.

A high-velocity asteroid or comet which hits Earth at such an angle that the lithosphere moves independent of the mantle.

A high-velocity asteroid or comet which hits Earth at such an angle that the entire planet shifts axis.

An unusually magnetic celestial object which passes close enough to Earth to temporarily reorient the magnetic field, which then "drags" the lithosphere about a new axis of rotation.

Eventually, the sun's magnetic field again determines the Earth's, after the intruding celestial object "returns" to a location from which it cannot influence Earth.

Perturbations of the topography of the core-mantle boundary, perhaps induced by differential core rotation and shift of its axial rotation vector, leading to CMB mass redistributions. See, e.g., Bowin.

Mass redistributions in the mantle from mantle avalanches or other deformations. See, e.g., Ladbury, and Steinberger and O'Connell.

So, it is possible for their to be a shift caused by outside sources. But, what is neglected to be told to people is that this shift would take THOUSANDS of years. You see, this is called pseudoscience.

Skeptic's Dictionary

Pseudoscience is set of ideas based on theories put forth as scientific when they are not scientific. Scientific theories are characterized by such things as (a) being based on empirical observation rather than the authority of some sacred text; (b) explaining a range of empirical phenomena; (c) being empirically tested in some meaningful way, usually involving testing specific predictions deduced from the theory; (d) being confirmed rather than falsified by empirical tests or with the discovery of new facts; (e) being impersonal and therefore testable by anyone regardless of personal religious or metaphysical beliefs; (f) being dynamic and fecund, leading investigators to new knowledge and understanding of the interrelatedness of the natural world rather than being static and stagnant leading to no research or development of a better understanding of anything in the natural world; (g) being approached with skepticism rather than gullibility, especially regarding paranormal forces or supernatural powers, and (h) being fallible and put forth tentatively rather than being put forth as infallible or inerrant.

Merriam-Webster

Definition of PSEUDOSCIENCE :

a system of theories, assumptions, and methods erroneously regarded as scientific

What does science have to say?

Changing the Earth's axis or orbit

Some people think of the Earth's axis "flipping over," like a top falling on its side or perhaps like one of the novelty tops that spontaneously flips over. But tops change their motion because they are balanced on a firm surface and because gravity is pulling them downward. Under zero gravity conditions, like in a spacecraft, both types of tops would spin until they slowed due to air resistance. In space, with no air, they would spin forever, and not flip or fall over. The Earth is spinning like a top, but like one spinning in space.

The amount of energy contained in the earth's rotation is pretty large: 2.1 x 1029 joules. You'd have to supply an appreciable fraction of that to change the earth's rotation in any major way. To put this number in perspective, a megaton is 4 x 1015 joules. You'd have to supply about 5 x 1014 megatons, or about 100 million times the total nuclear arsenal of the Earth. So we can see that the science fiction theme of a nuclear blast affecting the earth's rotation is just plain impossible. The kinetic energy of the earth in its orbit is about 2.7 x 1033 joules or about 10,000 times its rotational energy, so the entire earth's nuclear arsenal could hardly affect the earth in its orbit even if we could somehow deliver the energy effectively.

Another way to look at this is that it takes 400,000 joules to melt a kilogram of rock, so to change the earth's rotation, you'd liberate enough energy to melt 5 x 1023 kilograms of rock or almost 10 per cent of the earth.

There is some interesting reading on the Changing the Earth's axis or orbit link. It seems that science and fact are vastly more interesting than pseudoscience and fiction.

Now, about that pesky consciousness shift we've all been told about...
Can humans sense the Earth's magnetic field?

"Based on a recent in-depth review of the scientific literature, the WHO concluded that current evidence does not confirm the existence of any health consequences from exposure to low-level electromagnetic fields," it says. "However, some gaps in knowledge about biological effects exist and need further research."

I've actually found it hard to find out what the effects on the human brain the Earth's magnetic field/poles have. It seems that science hasn't found out what if any effect they at all have on the human brain.

Hopefully, I've given some of you readers the initiative to investigate for yourself. It's actually okay to be skeptical of these things, even of what I've told you.

But, I may have too much faith in humanity for that...

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by PhantomLimb

You might find that your own questioning of this topic is what the conscious shift is. I have about as much proof of this as I do Jesus walked on the earth. Will we ever know if our conscious has shifted if nobody tells us it has shifted? Possibly a shift in consciousness is simply an awareness to possibilities we had been closed off to before. On the world scene right now and in neighborhoods everywhere there is a shift of consciousness occurring that I see with my own eyes. It is like a slumbering mass of people waking up to realize the world is not what they thought. Have we been asleep? Or did something trigger us to start questioning?

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I think your correlation to pole-shift and a conscious shift are somewhat mixed incorrectly. Not necessarily my belief but were coming to a time where many belief a conscious awareness has now began and with that the earth events are a part of this time as well.

I don't believe that scientist know enough about the magnetic field and the effects on humans to say it doesn't influence us as you stated above but there's lots of stuff that scientist do later learn after having little to no evidence prior. We may be spiritual beings but we are in a primitive body not much different than animals (who are effected by earth's activities. Just my thoughts

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
My conciousness is as shiftless as ever. "sighs"

edit on 13-1-2011 by Iamschist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by 11PB11

How are we spiritual beings?

Also, on the topic of the pole shift. I've seen a lot of videos depicting a polar shift that will cause a consciousness shift.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto

You might find that your own questioning of this topic is what the conscious shift is. I have about as much proof of this as I do Jesus walked on the earth. Will we ever know if our conscious has shifted if nobody tells us it has shifted? Possibly a shift in consciousness is simply an awareness to possibilities we had been closed off to before. On the world scene right now and in neighborhoods everywhere there is a shift of consciousness occurring that I see with my own eyes. It is like a slumbering mass of people waking up to realize the world is not what they thought. Have we been asleep? Or did something trigger us to start questioning?

Are you sure about that? When there is a full moon people are thought to act a bit weird. It's thought that the moon has that effect on them. More likely, because of superstition, we look for things to be weird around the time of a full moon. We pay more attention to how people act. Perhaps because of the talk of a shift in our consciousness (whatever that even means) coming soon you are looking at your surroundings more carefully. Not that there is anything wrong with that. I'd just hate for people to be extremely disappointed on Dec. 22, 2012.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   

I think you are thinking about this as cause and effect. That somehow a pole shift would trigger a change in conscious. I guess we will not know until there is a pole shift. But, what I see now with my own eyes is that there is truth to the possibility that peoples awareness is increasing. I am not here to argue with you over this, because there is absolutely no proof of it. That said, there is absolutely no proof a pole shift would not effect our conscious state.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhantomLimb
reply to post by 11PB11

How are we spiritual beings?

Also, on the topic of the pole shift. I've seen a lot of videos depicting a polar shift that will cause a consciousness shift.

How are we? Guess it depends on what you believe, but most people in the world have some religion or philosophy and I think 99% of those believe we are spiritual. Your conscious will never stop existing, so however peoples belief want to interpret that, most believe its spiritual or energy or etc.....

On the the vids your referring to, I think many ppl who believe in all this assume it may be cause and effect. From all the stuff i've read, I think people just infer that they are connected or at gonna happen around the same time.
edit on 13-1-2011 by 11PB11 because: forgot something.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Yes readers, go out and investigate that there have been pole shifts (both magnetic and physical) in the past. Can science say how long it takes to crumble or build a mountain? Hardly!

Yes readers, go out and investigate that the force to change the speed or direction of a planet can be something as instant as an earthquake (referring to the Indonesia quake and subsequent tsunami) Which was published by Nasa in 2005. I dare say it did not take thousands of years either.

NASA Details Earthquake Effects on the Earth.

NASA scientists using data from the Indonesian earthquake calculated it affected Earth's rotation, decreased the length of day, slightly changed the planet's shape, and shifted the North Pole by centimeters. The earthquake that created the huge tsunami also changed the Earth's rotation.

Perhaps your (the OP) Consciousness shifted away from reason. It can happen on any given day, as your thread proves that!

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Greensage
Yes readers, go out and investigate that there have been pole shifts (both magnetic and physical) in the past. Can science say how long it takes to crumble or build a mountain? Hardly!

Yes readers, go out and investigate that the force to change the speed or direction of a planet can be something as instant as an earthquake (referring to the Indonesia quake and subsequent tsunami) Which was published by Nasa in 2005. I dare say it did not take thousands of years either.

NASA Details Earthquake Effects on the Earth.

NASA scientists using data from the Indonesian earthquake calculated it affected Earth's rotation, decreased the length of day, slightly changed the planet's shape, and shifted the North Pole by centimeters. The earthquake that created the huge tsunami also changed the Earth's rotation.

Perhaps your (the OP) Consciousness shifted away from reason. It can happen on any given day, as your thread proves that!

It shortened the day by a microsecond. Perhaps you should read your sources more carefully.

Also, in the links I provided Steven Dutch, Natural and Applied Sciences, of the University of Wisconsin - Green Bay had this to say:

How Planets' Rotations Can Change Impact Simulations of the evolution of the early solar system don't end up with nine large regularly-spaced planets. Instead, they end up with hundreds of small planets that merge by collision, and collisions between similar-sized planets could certainly radically change their rotations. Some planetary geologists have suggested the slow rotation of Venus and the extreme axial tilt of Uranus may have resulted from early collisions. Rotating objects have momentum, called angular momentum. For the Earth, that amounts to about 5.9 x 1033 kg-m2/sec. Now imagine an asteroid hitting the earth a grazing blow right on the equator. That would be the most effective way an asteroid could change the earth's rotation, either speeding it up or slowing it down. The asteroid has angular momentum relative to the center of the earth, equal to its mass times its velocity times the distance to the center of the earth. Typical impacts in the inner solar system involve velocities of about 30 kilometers per second, and for a grazing impact the distance from the center of the earth will be 6400 kilometers. In meters, those figures are 30,000 and 6,400,000, respectively. So to have angular momentum comparable to earth's we have mass x 30,000 x 6,400,000 = 5.9 x 1033, or mass = 3 x 1022 kilograms. Since the earth itself has a mass of 6 x 1024 kilograms, we're talking about something with 5 per cent of the mass of the earth, or about 4.5 times the mass of the moon. This is way bigger than any known asteroid. How would this affect the earth? The asteroid has kinetic energy = 1/2(mass)(velocity)2. = 1.3 x 1031 joules. Let's assume the asteroid stops the earth's rotation cold. That means that 2.1 x 1029 joules of its energy goes into stopping the earth's rotation, leaving about 98 per cent expressed in other forms, like heat. It takes 400,000 joules to melt a kilogram of rock, so there's enough energy left over to melt 3 x 1025 kilograms of rock. That's about five times the mass of the earth. Even allowing for a lot of energy radiating to space or being blasted off as ejecta, this puppy will melt most if not all of the earth. So don't sweat the long-term environmental effects. If the earth is ever hit hard enough to affect its rotation significantly, nobody will be around to tell about it. Let's assume the earth is hit a glancing blow by something big enough to change it's rotation by one second a day, or 1/86400 of its present value. The earth's angular momentum is about 5.9 x 1033 kg-m2/sec. Our hypothetical asteroid has to have 5.9 x 1033/86400 kg-m2/sec = 6.8 x 1028 kg-m2/sec angular momentum. If it hits at 30 km/sec or 30,000 m/sec, and the radius of the earth is 6,400,000 meters, its mass would be 3.6 x 1017 kg. If its density is 3000 kg per cubic meter, it would have a volume of 1.2 x 1014 cubic meters, or roughly a cube about 49 kilometers on a side. This is way bigger than anything to have hit since the last stages of planetary accretion and would certainly vaporize enough rock and rain down enough hot debris to sterilize the surface. On the other hand, an asteroid 10 kilometers in diameter, comparable to the one that caused the extinction of the dinosaurs, would have a mass of 1.5 x 1015 kilograms. If it hit the earth a grazing blow on the equator, its angular momentum would be 1.5 x 1015 x 30,000 x 6,400,000 = 3 x 1026 kg-m2/sec. That's about 1/20,000,000 of the earth's angular momentum, meaning it could change the earth's rotation by about 1/20,000,000, or change the length of the day by about .004 seconds. This is pretty tiny, but still several thousand times the effect of the great 2004 Indonesian earthquake. Even an impact big enough to cause a global catastrophe would still have only a tiny effect on the earth's rotation.

I don't recall saying a pole shift could not happen. Far from that, I gave proof that it could happen and has happened. This is just a case of you jumping to conclusions and not reading my sources.

Oh, and here is the link to the above quote again:

Changing the Earth's axis or orbit

Yeah, I can't see where I lost my reasoning on that one. In fact, what I was referring to in my OP was that there is no evidence that a flip in the poles will have an effect on our brain chemistry. As far as scientists know only animals are affected by the earth's magnetic field.

edit on 1/13/2011 by PhantomLimb because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Greensage
Can science say how long it takes to crumble or build a mountain? Hardly!

How Mountains are Made

Given enough time, millions of years generally, all mountains crumble. High jagged peaks become low rounded hills. Finally, mountains wear away to become soil on plains, sand on beaches, or sediments in oceans.

What makes mountains crumble? Rain, wind, and ice wear away mountains. Water gets into the cracks in rocks and pushes the cracks wider as it expands with both heat and cold. Water also dissolves some minerals, washing them out of the rocks. Eventually, the rocks crack and split off. Some crash down the mountain as boulders, others move only a tiny bit as clay particles.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Firstly no-one is suggesting a causative correlation between Poleshift and 'Conciousness shift'

secondly this need not take thousands of yrs at all!

thirdly your sneering definition of pseudoscience is exactly how momany of these so-called sciences operate - more as a priesthood jealously guarding thier mealtickets - objective truth is certainly quite a long way down the list of the science establishments proirities - unlike many of the proponents of radical theories!

Geology and Archeology particulary come to mind as filled with Zombie theories!

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohhnyBGood

Firstly no-one is suggesting a causative correlation between Poleshift and 'Conciousness shift'

secondly this need not take thousands of yrs at all!

thirdly your sneering definition of pseudoscience is exactly how momany of these so-called sciences operate - more as a priesthood jealously guarding thier mealtickets - objective truth is certainly quite a long way down the list of the science establishments proirities - unlike many of the proponents of radical theories!

Geology and Archeology particulary come to mind as filled with Zombie theories!

I've seen numerous videos of people claiming a pole shift in 2012 followed by a consciousness shift. Plenty.

Secondly, yes, it does. Did you read my sources? Are you saying that the math is wrong?

That wasn't my definition of pseudoscience. That is a site called skepdic.com otherwise known Skeptic's Dictionary. Also, I listed Merriam-Webster's Dictionary. It's hard to argue with their definition of pseudoscience.

How is it that geology and archaeology are filled with Zombie theories? What is a Zombie theory anyway?

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   

There are many expecting an ascension/shift event of some sort - they may both have a common cause - but one does not cause the other!

A slowly spinning sphere is very susceptible to perturbation due to shifting mass distributions on or within it - I believe that the earth goes through periodic bouts of earth expansion, due to the condensing of the lower astral of that time directly into the physical,earth changes, land rising and falling, re-curvature etc - also causing a shift in awareness. As the writing of many ancient cultures speak of.

As for zombie science - you know - its been shot full of so many holes - but it refuses to die!

Like plate tectonics, Globalwarming, most of Archeology
edit on 14-1-2011 by JohhnyBGood because: spelling spacing

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Like all other skeptics demanding proof... They seem to be saying: 'without proof you should not be allowed to even conceive that it might be possible.'

This is just like asking 'You think there is a God? Prove it." This thread lacks teeth. IMHO
edit on (1/14/11) by AllSeeingI because: typo

edit on (1/14/11) by AllSeeingI because: clarity

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   

There are many expecting an ascension/shift event of some sort - they may both have a common cause - but one does not cause the other!

A slowly spinning sphere is very susceptible to perturbation due to shifting mass distributions on or within it - I believe that the earth goes through periodic bouts of earth expansion, due to the condensing of the lower astral of that time directly into the physical,earth changes, land rising and falling, re-curvature etc - also causing a shift in awareness. As the writing of many ancient cultures speak of.

As for zombie science - you know - its been shot full of so many holes - but it refuses to die!

For there to be this consciousness shift there has to be a cause, it wouldn't just happen. Where does the idea for this shift even come from?

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by AllSeeingI
Like all other skeptics demanding proof... They seem to be saying: 'without proof you should not be allowed to even conceive that it might be possible.'

This is just like asking 'You think there is a God? Prove it." This thread lacks teeth. IMHO
edit on (1/14/11) by AllSeeingI because: typo

No. Without proof one should not believe that something is the truth without doubt. Hence, why I'm skeptical. Which is how people should be but they are not.

Take your example of the question of the existence of God. I'd never ask someone to prove God exists/doesn't exist because it is impossible to prove. However, it is possible to prove that a pole shift takes thousands of years. There are circumstances where it has occurred at one degree a day but it only changed about 52 degrees. That's not a full shift.

If you read my original post you would see that I said that I've read that some people believe that in 2012 there will be a pole shift and/or consciousness shift. (Some posters have told me that I may be linking the two as cause-and-effect out of error. I'll double check myself. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I'd rather be right than wrong.)

Hope I cleared that up for you. Thanks for equating me with skeptics. I like being put in the same company as Isaac Asimov.

edit on 1/14/2011 by PhantomLimb because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by JohhnyBGood

Global warming/climate change/whatever you call it is real and happening. The Earth's climate changes. It always has and always will whether we like it or not. At the least we've only added a small part to it with pollution.

How is most of archaeology wrong to you?

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhantomLimb

For there to be this consciousness shift there has to be a cause, it wouldn't just happen. Where does the idea for this shift even come from?

Most of the ancient cultures seem to have the idea of cyclical ages, gold,silver,bronze, Iron - being a 'scientist' you can no doubt decide to ignore this because you can't measure it with a ruler. As a truth seeker I can decide that since this is inependently corroborated from multiple sources - it might very well be true.
As a spiritual being I can have access to direct perceptions of inner knowledge -sorry if that sounds too fancy for you, but then I don't expect you to understand.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join