It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

recoil forces of handheld Big Guns

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
So how much the recoil forces is generated when following Handheld Big Guns is fired in following methods:

1. handheld Minigun(at 1.000 Rounds Per Minute) fired in short burst
  2. Sustained fire of handheld Minigun(at 1.000 Rounds Per Minute)
  3. Full powered Minigun fired while without being mounted
  4. Handheld Minigun fired by only one hand
  5. Handheld Minigun fired by only one hand(being Dual Wield, everyone should know this produces recoil forces as twice as one Minigun being fired as handheld weapons)
  6. and Tank Cannons(Fired as Handheld Weapons)

Note: these guns is mostly for Superhumanly Strong beings like people with powered exoskeleton, Cyborgs, or those with similar ability, except this is gained by simply Training Very Hard
edit on 13/1/2011 by masonicon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
A minigun is so heavy that it would absorb a lot of the recoil. I guess as long as a person could hold the weight in the first place.

Deebo

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I'm sorry, can you elaborate on exactly what you are talking about?

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
If you could hold one by hand there shouldn't be much recoil since the weight of the thing will absorb most of it. Mounted, would be none. And what do you mean by a full powered minigun? Most of the ones on helo's are 7.62x51 (.308 basically).

Deebo

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by masonicon

a no not in real life not with out tri pod, or mount just too much recoil now in the future, a 155mm full auto or smi 5 round bust, 20 round drop mag in one arm and twin 50 cal 30,000min spin guns, now your talking, mech warrior 2026, 1st of the 3rd, balst'em till they smolder ho ra!!

edit on 13-1-2011 by bekod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   

The third problem was that even at "only" a 1000 rpm rate of fire the gun produces about 11 kg of recoil *continuesly*! And this amount of force increases geometrically in proportion to the rate of fire. Firing a large burst would result in the gunner being spun around by his own weapon, and spraying everything around him indiscriminately with bullets. Including his own comrades.....

as quoted from GE XM214

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
On the set of Terminator 2 when they were filming it the Minigun was so damn heavy that arnold schwarzenegger was the only person who could comfortably carry it single handedly. I doubt that it's something anyone would be able to wield in the real world effectively.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
i heard they wanted to use a 20mm Vulcan, but A.S could not pick it up, now that would be a bush gun, room broom?... oh were is your humor???

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by sbctinfantry
I'm sorry, can you elaborate on exactly what you are talking about?

How much the recoil they generates when used as handheld weapons

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anhur

The third problem was that even at "only" a 1000 rpm rate of fire the gun produces about 11 kg of recoil *continuesly*! And this amount of force increases geometrically in proportion to the rate of fire. Firing a large burst would result in the gunner being spun around by his own weapon, and spraying everything around him indiscriminately with bullets. Including his own comrades.....

as quoted from GE XM214

How about firing it in only small burst instead large burst

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by masonicon

Originally posted by Anhur

as quoted from GE XM214

How about firing it in only small burst instead large burst

Since the cyclic rate is the same you will have the same recoil force whether you do an 80 round (just a number pulled out of my hat) burst or a 1000 round burst. Now if you lowered the cyclic rate to say 500 rounds a minute you would experience significantly less recoil also keep in mind that the XM214 they were referring to is the lighter weight and power 5.56 Gatling gun. A 7.62x51 Gatling gun would have considerable more recoil than the 5.56 version and ammo would have much more of a weight toll, as it is the XM214 and 1000 rounds of 5.56 weighed a very hefty 85 pounds (38.5 kg) I wouldn't be surprised if the 7.62 Gatling gun and 1000 rounds of ammo about doubled that weight. Also the Gatling gun is not recoil operated so unlike any automatic that is recoil operated you will get the full recoil much like shooting a bolt action rifle versus a semi auto of the same caliber, the semi auto will always have less recoil. Now I'm sure this would be impossible but in fantasy land you could put a muzzle break on each barrel but your still going to get more recoil than you bargained for.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by snoochieboochies
On the set of Terminator 2 when they were filming it the Minigun was so damn heavy that arnold schwarzenegger was the only person who could comfortably carry it single handedly. I doubt that it's something anyone would be able to wield in the real world effectively.

In terminator 2 and Predator they were firing blanks.
Planks have almost no recoil.

The recoil is proportional the weight and velocity of the projectile. with blanks the weight of the cardboard if its a rolled blank and nothing if its a crimped blank are nothing so little recoil.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED

Originally posted by snoochieboochies

In terminator 2 and Predator they were firing blanks.
Planks have almost no recoil.

The recoil is proportional the weight and velocity of the projectile. with blanks the weight of the cardboard if its a rolled blank and nothing if its a crimped blank are nothing so little recoil.

How about guys with powered Exoskeleton like Master Chief performs Minigun Akimbo?

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   

How about guys with powered Exoskeleton like Master Chief performs Minigun Akimbo?

Honestly I feel that by the time that we have true front line combat mech. suits weaponry will be advanced far past the Gatling guns or smooth bore MBT cannons. I would assume by then rail guns and directed energy weapons would be the go to big firepower platforms. This is just speculation on my part but I would hope that weaponry would be scaled along with the mech. suits.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by BigDave-AR

Honestly I feel that by the time that we have true front line combat mech. suits weaponry will be advanced far past the Gatling guns or smooth bore MBT cannons. I would assume by then rail guns and directed energy weapons would be the go to big firepower platforms. This is just speculation on my part but I would hope that weaponry would be scaled along with the mech. suits.

Also, the only conventional weapon that isn't replaced by rail guns and directed energy weapons are Rockets, Missiles, Flame Weapons, and just any indirect fire weapons by the time that we have true front line combat mech.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Also, the only conventional weapon that isn't replaced by rail guns and directed energy weapons are Rockets, Missiles, Flame Weapons, and just any indirect fire weapons by the time that we have true front line combat mech.

Rockets are amazing stuff for sure.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by kimkim3074

Rockets are amazing stuff for sure.

Unless when Chemical-Powered weapons are Indirect-fire weapons, Flame Weapons, and/or it's projectile are self-propelled, they will inevitably replaced by Railguns, Coilguns, and Directed Energy Weapons regardless their calibers.
edit on 14/1/2011 by masonicon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   
The very lightest minigun, the xm214 weighs about as much as a browning M2 heavy machine gun with tripod and ammunition, when you factor in the xm214's tripod and batteries and 1000 rounds.

And the browning M2 has the benefit of actually being useful. There's no reason to use a minigun if you aren't shooting at or from something moving very fast.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by mdiinican
The very lightest minigun, the xm214 weighs about as much as a browning M2 heavy machine gun with tripod and ammunition, when you factor in the xm214's tripod and batteries and 1000 rounds.

And the browning M2 has the benefit of actually being useful. There's no reason to use a minigun if you aren't shooting at or from something moving very fast.

Actually the XM214 5.56 Gatling gun "Six Pack" system (2 500 round cassettes (1000 rounds total),The power module (containing 24 volt NiCad battery pack (unless plugged into a vehicle power supply it was good for 3000 rounds of firing), .8 HP electric motor, plus solid state electronic controls for the system (also controlled the cyclic rate 400-4,000 RPM)) weighed 85 pounds all together.

The M2 browning weighs 83.78 lb for just the gun with no mount or ammunition (127.87 lb with tripod and T&E) now if you factor in the weight of the ammunition (260 pounds for 1,000 rounds of the rounds ONLY I.E. excluding links and ammo cans that is just what a 1,000 loose rounds thrown on a scale should weigh. So factor in more weight for ammo cans and links. On the same coin you would have to carry a lot less .50 BMG than you would for the same effect of the 5.56 especially factoring in the accuracy of the .50 BMG and it not just being a spray and pray weapon like the XM214, and when the .50 BMG hits it HITS. I personally think that the M2HB would be a much better choice for a mech. suite but the M2HB has never and will never be man portable as far as how you guy's were talking about an unassisted human firing very big weapons. Even the weapon alone without ammo or other supporting gear is too heavy not to mention extremely unwieldy (65.2 in overall length) and the recoil would be enough to possibly injure a unassisted human.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Miniguns look great and dramatic in movies and games but they are highly impractical as an individual weapon in real life.

The main uses are for aircraft, the M61A1 and A2 'Vulcan' 20mm guns are primarilly used for air to air while more practical they are still only used as last resort or for strafe missions on ground targets.

The 30mm GAU-8 'Avenger' gun on the A-10 is quite famous for it being used in strafe missions with great effect and is one of the best applications of such.

Other practical uses are in weapon systems like the CIWS (Close-in Weapon System) on ships, essentially a M61 Vulcan designed to shoot down incoming missiles.

In the future rifles will likely be a variation of a railgun or gauss gun shooting at very high velocity to negate the advances in body armor (ala Masterchief).

Another reason for high-cyclic weapons being impartical for infantry use is the incredible rate they use up ammunition, supplies are always a challange and you can only carry so much, most rifles not uses as a supression weapon (like machineguns like the M240 or M249) fire primarilly in semi-automatic unless they are supressing the enemy, otherwise firing weapons in full-auto is a waste of ammo.

Even if a minigun firing at a 1000 RPM would be light enough to be used or even on a powered exo-skeleton it would be yet another waste of ammo with very little use and probably would increase collateral damage.

It would be more practical to shoot a grenade or a 25mm round in a building rather than ventilating it with a minigun.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join