It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heavy rain brings destruction and dead to the State of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I have mentioned that the non-stop rain and mudslides have killed 13 people in my state (São Paulo) yesterday on this topic.

Now was the state of Rio de Janeiro turn. But it was much worst. In the city of Teresópolis, 131 people have died because of mudslides around the city. And the authorities fear that the number of dead people will rise in next days. The cities of Petrópolis and Nova Friburgo were also hit with mudslides, and there were 97 deads on the first one and 18 on the other one. Most of the news channels here in Brazil are reporting this tragedy almost non-stop.

Another terrible day for Rio.

Link in Portuguese: noticias.uol.com.br...

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
It's terrible, because of the mountains and hills in Rio de Janeiro, coupled with the favelas.

I don't know Brazil that well personally, but does this city have shanty-towns on the hills, like in the city of Rio ?

Sadly, large rainfall that brings about mudslides in hilly areas with shanty-towns will mean a terrible amount of human tragedy.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
So many human deaths but little you can do about it all from nonstop rain. It is a real tragedy for these cities and i hope they can recover from this terrible disaster. unfortunely there will be more deaths then this number shows.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

There are shanty towns, but not as many as in Rio. That region is actually one of the richest areas of the state.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Canslli
There are shanty towns, but not as many as in Rio. That region is actually one of the richest areas of the state.

I was wondering, because the death-toll seems huge.

Normally, if somewhere is under threat from severe weather conditions, then an evacuation process takes place.

Sadly, as with some of the flash floods in Australia, that is not always possible.

edit on 12-1-2011 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

i lived in Rio de Janeiro a few years ago and also just was there in September and one favela alone Rocina has over 200,000 people and the favelas were not recognized as a city or community until a few years ago because of the inhabitants being so numerous.
The favelas are the most sought after places in Rio and the government has tried to get them to leave and offered to build them a new town and move them but they refuse because they know they are in the most desired area and have the most beautiful panorama you ever seen akin to California's Malibu
I don't want to go on but the favelas are Brazil's New Orleans
Sort of makes you go hummm

for in truth all is myth, myth is all

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   
The floods/landslides in Brazil have finally been recognised in the news in the UK:

Link

It seems things have got significantly worse over the past 24 hours- 335 dead now because of this and no doubt there's many more deaths that have yet to be announced. There are now three devastating floods sweeping across different areas of the globe- Sri Lanka, Australia and Brazil- a very bad start to the new year, indeed.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by ScepticalBeliever
The floods/landslides in Brazil have finally been recognised in the news in the UK:

Link

It seems things have got significantly worse over the past 24 hours- 335 dead now because of this and no doubt there's many more deaths that have yet to be announced. There are now three devastating floods sweeping across different areas of the globe- Sri Lanka, Australia and Brazil- a very bad start to the new year, indeed.

Don't worry

Its all normal

Who are "they"" trying to kid?

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   
But still........there will be no connections to global events

Wonder what must happen for people to wake up and see exactly whats going on.
Was also going to create a thread regarding Strange Green Blob Spotted in Space, but thought better of it.

I sincerely hope that people will wake up and see what really is going on.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
It was, until this morning, the worst natural disaster in Brazil in 44 years. 381 people dead by now.

I think that one of the biggest problems is that the area is a touristic place. The people that lives in Rio and want to take a break from the beach, go to these cities to stay in cousy chales and houses.

And not only the poor were hit by this tragedy. There is a CEO of a big company here that lost 7 people from his family. Farms of traditional families of Rio were washed away by rivers of mud, and fancy hotels and inns were completely destroyed.

edit on 13/1/11 by Canslli because: Put a video showing the rescue of a lady

top topics

join