It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British Geological Survey Warns of Pole Reversal and Expansion of South Atlantic Anomaly

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
British Geological Survey

The Earth’s magnetic field, generated deep within the planet, is a shield against particle radiation from space. In the South Atlantic this shield is much weaker than elsewhere across the globe and radiation from space therefore penetrates deeper into the atmosphere. This region is known as the South Atlantic Anomaly (SAA) and the radiation in the SAA is a known hazard to satellites, spacecraft and high-altitude aircraft

The South Atlantic Anomaly (SAA) is known to be growing in extent and spreading westwards from South Africa, as the Earth’s internal magnetic field rapidly weakens in this region. This may be early evidence of a forthcoming reversal in the direction of the Earth’s internal magnetic field. We do not know in detail precisely what occurs during such reversals, including the changes observed in the magnetic field and the time a reversal takes to complete. However these factors are important in knowing where the radiation risk may be increased and how the atmosphere might respond

As we continue to witness the deaths of animals around the globe, and our media continues to tell us to watch out for those fireworks, I saw this material elsewhere and was interested if this community had a chance to comment on it.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Well done.. it is about time that one of these Institutions that everyone pays for finally spits up some information...

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Great post, thank you!

Finally somewhat of an explanation of what all the weird happening around the globe could be attributed to.
S&F

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by adept2u

It's been talked about for years in scientific circles and seems to be building up a bit now doesn't it. Found a table describing the best and worse case scenarios when the poles flip :

Best Case Scenario.

Will not occur for a thousand years.

Relatively benign event.

Compasses become confused

Migrating birds become disorientated.

Whales and dolphins cannot navigate

Light damage to electrical equipment.

Little upset to world in general.

Worst case scenario

Could occur at any moment.

Complete catastrophe

Massive volcanic eruptions

Huge earthquakes

Millions die from radiation sickness

Failure of all electrical devices

Civilisation substantially threatened.

Very worst scenario

Complete obliteration of all living matter.

scroll down this page
edit on 11/1/11 by cosmicpixie because: forgot to include table

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
How bad can pole reversal be if the Dinosaurs survived through dozens of them? I'm sure it might disrupt a few things like satellites, communications, etc., but it most certainly will not be cataclysmic.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I saw this as well. A lot of self-proclaimed experts are currently trying to debunk this. But as the article states: no one knows for sure what will happen. As for that chart, "Complete obliteration of all living matter"...I hope for our sakes it happens quick! Whew!

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by harrytuttle

Actually, they might have been killed off a few times.
Not completely to nothing, but enough to start the new wave of creatures every couple million years or so.

Think about it.
There are dozens of different periods that dinosaurs came from, all of them with different species of dinosaur.
So how did all those creatures just disappear and then appear after a timespan?

Maybe the dozens of pole shifts caused more than we think.
Either that or our Earth has been struck by meteorites more than I think.

Just my opinion.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by cosmicpixie
reply to post by adept2u

It's been talked about for years in scientific circles and seems to be building up a bit now doesn't it. Found a table describing the best and worse case scenarios when the poles flip :

scroll down this page

The table about worst and best case scenarios made me a little nervous.
In the best case scenario column it states "Migrating birds become disorientated.", "Whales and dolphins cannot navigate". So with all the mass die off's and animals behaving odd such as Dolphins and Whales showing up in the Puget Sound which is very odd.

Could this be a sign that we are experiencing a more benign reversal or is the earth gearing up for the more catastrophic variety?

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Original source link (missing from OP)
www.bgs.ac.uk...

Note, the information is undated. Is there some news alert that went out or is this not timely information? It's made to seem in the OP as though it is breaking news.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by quakewatcher

That did trouble me. It is worth noting, but if that's the case as people have been beginning to discuss this phenomenon more widely I'm curious why this wasn't mentioned as a source.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Brilliant post I hope you get as much success getting people to pay attention to the worlds strange behaviour of late as still in my opinion the earth is cracking up.
Your thread has empirical evidence at the onset and cannot be disputed ,lets see if you get opposition on this,i think its a amazing find OP,proving the magnetosphere is going wonky.Is there a video of it though I don`t want anyone stating its not official enough,because it is.
edit on 12-1-2011 by gringoboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   
The best/worst case scenario depends on two things.

- Activity of the sun when the reversal happens... meaning if a solar flare hits the earth at the time it's happening... then yeah...
- How much time does it takes to reverse. Days... weeks... months?

The elite have not built massive underground bases for nothing.

EDIT : the whole is in Southern Atlantic... and going westward uh? Towards Argentina uh? Just look at what was filmed yesterday in Argentina..

Probably no connections... but that is some WEIRD CLOUD.
edit on 12-1-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by quakewatcher

The expedition was held Jan-Feb 2010.

edit on 12/1/11 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Thanks for this post.

Had a good read and this opens up a few things. A bit of food for thought!

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   
First of all i must mention that molten iron is non magnetic.....as far as i have been able to find out.
So where /what generates this magnetic field?
Is it a product of electricity by some fashion?
The fact is that electricity flow comes complete with its own magnetic field, in fact electricity and magnetism are inseparable forces.......
Magnetism however can be imbued into certain metals independantly of electricity.
However when one melts the metals, the magnetic properties dissapear till they are cooled and remagnetized.
So how is a huge core of molten iron magnetic i ask?
his leaves the magnetic field generated by electric flow....which we understand is present in space joing the sun, and planets by huge currents which are called bjirkland currents after the discoverer.cira 1920 or so////
The magnetic field around earth must then be the variety that is created by the flow of electricity....and this connects earth to the sun and other planets.
The loss of this magnetic field meaqns also the loss of these huge currents of electricity, and the reversal of them, means the currents must also be reversed.
this requires a period where the currents actually stop.
no manetic field at this time, till the current flows the other way.
What the momentary loss of current(nobody knows how long it takes to reverse) will do to affect the earth is anybodys guess at this point.
I would surely like to hear some opinions as to what the mag field of earth is caused by.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

This cloud looks simalar to this post I think. Triple Punch Hole Clouds
Very interesting thanks

edit on 12-1-2011 by Tzavros because: Added full topic title

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

If you look at it the earth is a small cog, the sun is a bigger cog ,the milky way a even bigger cog ,and galaxies all sharing gravity between which creates thier own electromagnetic fields right upto gamma fields and so on.It is`nt so much the flowing magma as forces being shared ,although our world is quite special in that we have a movng magma core that generates our powerful magnetosphere without which we`d all be in deep trouble.So as I say fractals all the way man right upto the multiverse M. BRane and beyond.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Earth's core is solid.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

yes that is correct but we have alot more magma creating our field and it fluctuates as its doing now.
en.wikipedia.org...
Specific quote extracted from article:Growth of the inner core is thought to play an important role in the generation of Earth's magnetic field by dynamo action in the liquid outer core.
edit on 12-1-2011 by gringoboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by adept2u

I was just thinking that if the poles reverse ...as the scientists are warning about

has the worlds nuclear arsenals secured it's bombs in the event of this happening ?

has the worlds nuclear power stations got some kind of ... just in case...safety plan.?

not to mention chemical plants and oil drilling platforms ... etc ..etc ...

The mess that would be made, does not even bare thinking about....

Do you think the dead birds and the fishes are our "final alarm clock" that is telling us all to

"WAKE UP" and pay some serious attention....

adept2u ...thanks for starting this thread
if I come across more information on this subject I will be posting it here.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join