It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British Geologic Survey - A Magnetic Reversal in Progress?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
It seems this topic is becoming more mainstream all the time.

What is the South Atlantic Anomaly?

The Earth’s magnetic field, generated deep within the planet, is a shield against particle radiation from space. In the South Atlantic this shield is much weaker than elsewhere across the globe and radiation from space therefore penetrates deeper into the atmosphere. This region is known as the South Atlantic Anomaly (SAA) and the radiation in the SAA is a known hazard to satellites, spacecraft and high-altitude aircraft.

This anomaly deserves a great deal of attention as it is growing.

A magnetic reversal in progress?

The South Atlantic Anomaly (SAA) is known to be growing in extent and spreading westwards from South Africa, as the Earth’s internal magnetic field rapidly weakens in this region. This may be early evidence of a forthcoming reversal in the direction of the Earth’s internal magnetic field. We do not know in detail precisely what occurs during such reversals, including the changes observed in the magnetic field and the time a reversal takes to complete. However these factors are important in knowing where the radiation risk may be increased and how the atmosphere might respond.

Earth’s magnetic field has had many highs, lows and reversals in its past. The last reversal was around 800,000 years ago. So the Earth is known to be able to re-generate its field and has done so during human pre-history. Understanding the development of the SAA may therefore be significant in understanding the reversal process and its impact on life and the natural environment.

Notice the last reversal was around 800,000 years ago. Seems we are likely due for one soon.

More info at the link:

South Atlantic Anomaly and South Georgia Magnetic Observatory

CU
edit on 1/10/2011 by CUin2013? because: Spelling, duh...

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by CUin2013?

I don't believe mainstream science understands when the last polar reversal happened, but it's true until you hear different.

edit:
But it is probably reversing or shifting based on all the hype.
edit on 10-1-2011 by drkylefletcher because: I should read what I write before I click post for concisiveness.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
So how did the earth respond to the shift those 800 thousand years ago? Are there any clues as to the state of the Earth during the last reversal that might suggest what we will experience? That's the important question.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by asperetty
So how did the earth respond to the shift those 800 thousand years ago? Are there any clues as to the state of the Earth during the last reversal that might suggest what we will experience? That's the important question.

While I am not so sure if there was any kind of extinction event at that time their is evidence that there was a split in the early human population coming out of Africa . . . you could ask if they migrated at this time because of simple overcrowding or dramatic climate or other changes because of a major event. One thing is fairly clear, however, that their was a definite impact on the gene pool of early hominids resulting in the emergence of Neanderthal Man shortly thereafter . . . historically speaking.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
If the poles are shifting, I wonder if it is a contributing factor to the Queensland floods we're experiencing here in Australia. They're saying it's the worse flood Queensland has ever experienced since 1859 which is crazy considering they built a flood mitigation dam in 1984 (Wivenhoe) to prevent a repeat of the 1974 floods, now they're saying that the floods are worse even with the flood mitigation dam.

Do the poles have anything to do with the weather?

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by DigitalSea
If the poles are shifting, I wonder if it is a contributing factor to the Queensland floods we're experiencing here in Australia. They're saying it's the worse flood Queensland has ever experienced since 1859 which is crazy considering they built a flood mitigation dam in 1984 (Wivenhoe) to prevent a repeat of the 1974 floods, now they're saying that the floods are worse even with the flood mitigation dam.

Do the poles have anything to do with the weather?

I think we need to remember that the Earth is composed of many complex systems. While the magnetosphere does contribute to our weather patterns, we also need to consider the effects of the sun and certain air/ocean currents. It is my belief that the North Atlantic current is affecting a lot of our weather patterns. This current has been slowing the last 10 years and has all but stopped.

Think the movie "The Day After Tomorrow" only in slow-'er' motion.

CU

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   
The biggest worries to me is what effect will a magnetic shift have on our civilizations, with the technology and how much we rely on those technologies.
edit on 12-1-2011 by brokenbullet56 because: grammer

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Im not really concerned about the tech as much as the effects it will have on natural weather systems and specifically the ocean. Would there be a colossal tidal wave? I ask because I dont have any clue what Im talking about haha. im kind of just throwing out what I can imagine. See i figure there would lots of potentially magnetic substances in the ocean, like little particles of metals or whatever it may be that is influenced by magnetism that is just floating around and having a good time as things are. If the poles were to shift somewhat suddenly, would all those particles shift along with it in whatever direction, and would that pull the water with it? Like you when you drag your hand under water and the ripples appear at the surface, but just on a much grander scale?

new topics

top topics

join