It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Jersey moves to curb steroid use by police

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   

New Jersey moves to curb steroid use by police

news.yahoo.com

NEW YORK (Reuters) – Lawmakers in New Jersey are considering measures that would crack down on steroid use by police and firefighters, some of whom abuse the drugs in their efforts to keep physically fit, experts say.

The state Assembly bills introduced on Monday, believed to be the first of their kind in the nation, would require health evaluations before law enforcement could be prescribed anabolic steroids and growth hormones, and would add such drugs to a list of substances for which law
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
N.J. doctor supplied steroids to hundreds of law enforcement officers, firefighters
Cops' Use of Illegal Steroids a 'Big Problem'

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Finally somebody is taking steps to do something about this. Hasnt steroid use been something of a bad image in our soceity, mainly sports? Now officers of the law are taking them. Plus, steroids have a tendancy to increase aggression. I wonder how many police brutality incidents can be associated with steroid use?

Hopefully the bills the state is introducing will have an impact on this.

There have been a few articles and threads about this in the past couple weeks.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Wow. I had no idea! Firstly, great...all we need is a bunch of cops going on roid rages. Secondly, the premise of the article is a little confusing to me. Aren't steroids illegal throughout the nation. Wouldn't an officer's use of steroids be intrinsically against the law and thereby disallowed by his profession. Why are they having to further clarify that police are not allowed to take this substance. Just a touch confused about that because I honestly thought they were universally prohibited.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by robinmorningstar

Ive always thought they were illegal, unless perscribed, but im not sure. According to the DEA, steroids are a schedule 3 controlled substance.

DEA Link

Federal law placed anabolic steroids in Schedule III of the Controlled Substances Act (CSA) as of February 27, 1991.

Heres what wikipedia says about schedule 3 drugs. Wiki article

Possesion

Schedule III: (Requires a prescription or license to legally possess.) Maximum 3 years imprisonment

Trafficking

Schedule III: Maximum 10 years imprisonment

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
While I believe an individual should have the rights to use steroids, I think this is a good move.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
i was unaware steroids were used by police, what ever the in's and outs are of all this it could go some way in explaining some of the video's we see of cops losing it, although it may have nothing to do with it at all.

either way it sounds like a good move, for americans.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I got arrested for a minor misdemeanor one time.

By the time the case came to court a couple week later the cop had been fired for steroid use.

The case was dismissed.

Cops that break the law are of no use to there departments as they are no longer able to testify in cases.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Finally!

Lost amongst my post history are probably seven or eight posts where I discuss this issue, in passing, while addressing the ways that police have changed, image-wise, since the period before the gulf war. Where once the stereotypical cop was a somewhat overweight guy in either a blue uniform, or a bad suit, NOW the stereotype, at least in my neck of the woods, is more like that of a a professional wrestler in military garb. And this is no exaggeration.

It is high time that somebody addressed this issue because, in my opinion, the last person you want to be having "roid rage" is the heavily armed, aggressive, ego driven guy who just stopped you for not using your blinker in a lane change. Many cops are already prone to assuming that we are all criminals to begin with. Add chemicals that cause aggressiveness and rage into the mix... and well... Not a good thing.

~Heff

new topics

top topics

join