It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Auction Kings: Knights Templar Masonic Uniform and Sword (Video)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Hey Everyone...

So the other day I was watching a show called "Auction Kings" on discovery channel. It is a reality show about a group of people who go around looking for random items and rare stuff to put up for sale in the auction house.

The episode I watched had a very interesting item involved...

The auction kings met with a man who said he had a "knight's templar" (en.wikipedia.org...) uniform and sword that belonged to his grandfather, who was a part of secret societies. When asked what any of the symbolism or bizarre medals on the uniform meant, he said that his grandfather never told him as it was a secret. The man did feel bad about selling the uniform and sword, as he felt his grandfather "entrusted" it to him in the hopes he would keep it secret as he had, but in the end, the need to pay bills outweighs the need to protect family secrets.

Now if you know anything about the knights templar... you know that it is a group shrouded with mystery, as it was supposedly disbanded hundreds of years ago, yet some still claim them to be an active group- some people even speculate that the The Powers That Be, or at least parts of TPTB, are a form of the knights templar.

The suit was examined by an expert, who claimed it to be an authentic mason-designed suit from the mid 20th century- around the same time the man's grandfather was attending his secret meetings. The suit ended up selling for a few hundred dollars.

Here is the involved clips from the episode: (NOTE- after watching the first part, wait a few seconds and the next part will begin streaming).

dsc.discovery.com...

I myself think that regular masonic groups break off into other splinter groups that are completely secret... even to some regular or even high-level masons. Maybe this suit represents one of these secret groups- this groups goals and focuses, however, are completely up for debate.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I think he could have gotten more money.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
So this guy's grandfather's memory is so special to him that he would sell a beautiful sword with his grandfather's name on it and the uniform for "not less than $100"??
Jeezzzz....

The uniform and sword were supposed to be returned to the lodge on his grandfather's death? This grandson doesn't sound very reputable to me!

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
There are so many things wrong with the preview I just can't name them because all of it is wrong wrong wrong!

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
It's a officers uniform from something in the York Rite. I am also pretty certain that Knight Templar is an official title used in the Rite. Why that kid would want to sell such pristine pieces of history for 100 bucks to pay some bills is beyond me. His time would have been better spent taking those items to a local lodge and having some of the Brothers take a look at them. But to each their own.

I know theres a couple York Rite members around who will know exactly what this uniform is from. Maybe they'll come through this thread eventually.

I love old Masonic regalia. I could spend hours looking at old pieces like this.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
It's a pretty well known fact that the York Rite Commandery in Freemasonry are Knight's Templar. Looks to me like a pretty standard issue outfit.

If you got the bucks, you too can own some York Rite Regelia:

www.kalamazooregalia.com...

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Choronzon

I thought so too. IMO, their expert didn't really know that much, considering a quick search would have given him all the information he would have needed to identify that outfit. Google Images has plenty of them

In any case, I would pay 100 bucks for that sword.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by W3RLIED2
Why that kid would want to sell such pristine pieces of history for 100 bucks to pay some bills is beyond me.

Because he couldn't care less. AND thats fine! Not everyone is into these sorts of things. Some people dont care about history.
edit on 11-1-2011 by fordrew because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Yes the items should have been returned to the Commandery where his grandfather was a member. Or at least to the nearest masonic lodge, where the members would have seen the return of such.

The sword and chapeau individually are worth more than $100 each.
It is for the better, some one who would sell historic items for a paupers price is undeserving of them, and the fraternity they belong.

To be a Knight of the Temple, is to show that one has represented the ethics and values of humanity.

Originally posted by fordrew

Originally posted by W3RLIED2
Why that kid would want to sell such pristine pieces of history for 100 bucks to pay some bills is beyond me.

Because he couldn't care less. AND thats fine! Not everyone is into these sorts of things. Some people dont care about history.
edit on 11-1-2011 by fordrew because: (no reason given)

Your right, it usually skips a generation.
Shame, seems that guy just doesn't care about tradition, even if it is his own.

Trust me, there are plenty others who do.

edit on 11-1-2011 by ADVISOR because: of urge to consolidate the below post with the above.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   

edit on 11-1-2011 by ADVISOR because: see above post

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Monts

The Masonic Knights Templar is a body within the York Rite. They are not descendants of the Templars from the Crusades nor do they claim to be. The York Rite is an appendant body of the Freemasons, if you want you can go to www.yorkrite.org and they have links to every recognized York Rite body there is.

There are a variety of Templar uniforms each differing depending on your position and title. If the chapeau has silver on it and the uniform sleeves have a cross on it with silver trim then he just a member. Gold means he is an officer. If he has green insignias on the shoulders then he is one of the top 3 officers. If its red, then its a Grand Commandery officer. If there is a red rope attached to it then he is a past grand commander. If there is purple then he is either a department (or regional) commander or a member of the Grand Encampment, Knights Templar, USA. The chapeau often gets larger as you get a higher office (snicker, snicker) you know boys, someone always has a bigger plumage. lol.

The uniform is basically a Naval petty officers jacket (double breasted) with crosses on the bottom of the sleeve, and all the buttons have "crown and crosses" on them. Depending on your rank, you may have something on your shoulders. On your left breast you may have jewels such as Order of the Red Cross jewel, Order of Malta, Past Commander's jewel, and so on; some Grand Commanderies even have their own medals with permission from the Grand Encampment. It also has an opening for your sword harness to go through. In older times they did have a sash on them, but not too many still wear them. The uniform can cost around $300. The chapeau looks like an old naval hat with real ostrich feathers coming out of it. Let me tell you, it doesn't breathe. They can cost around $250/$260.

Silver swords for everyone below the office of Commander, and gold swords for Commander and above. Usually the swords are inlaid with ornate designs and usually has the person name on it. These can cost around $800 depending on who you go through.

But hopefully my description above can help out. It's also a shame that he didn't try to donate it back to the Commandery his grandfather belonged to. It is not actually as hard as it seems to find us.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman
The uniform and sword were supposed to be returned to the lodge on his grandfather's death? This grandson doesn't sound very reputable to me!

It's up to the family if they want to return something to the Masons.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Wow, I wished I had known about this. I would have paid him double that amount and returned to the Lodge from whence it came.

What a crying shame.

new topics

top topics

join