It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Foot+Mouth: SK buries alive 1 million pigs, many may not even be infected

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I realise many here probably aren't too concerned about this, as there's no real conspiracy. However, I just read this article and found it to be extremely disgusting:

LINK

One million pigs buried alive, how inhumane is that? Even worse is the fact that vaccinations would have only cost an estimated £63m, compared to the £250m cost of killing these pigs. I really can't understand the thinking behind this, if North Korea did something similar, the whole of the western world would condemn them and use it as evidence that they are ran by a backwards and evil group of people.

I appreciate that sometimes it's necessary to kill animals in dire situations such as these, in order to stop the threat from escalating out of control, but surely they could have come up with a far better way of doing it than this- the fact that these actions have cost 4x more than any vaccination attempts totally throw the money/efficiency argument out of the window. Additionally, they don't even know if a lot of these pigs they are killing are even infected. I find this whole thing to be a sad statement on humanity.

edit on 7-1-2011 by ScepticalBeliever because: fix broken link

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
They should have sent them to North Korea, just in case they were infected.

I am sure those starving NK's would appreciate it either way.
edit on 7-1-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Eh, worse has happened...

I believe pigs are disgusting creatures. They haven't even evolved naturally.

Appear to be a cross of wild boar and human DNA from some ancient Atlantean laboratory.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ScepticalBeliever

I would have thought they could have found a more humane way than burying them alive, yes.

That's.. grim.

Anyway here's a working LINK to the article on sky news, as you requested.

EDIT: Op, to see how to code links like these (and take a copy to paste into your post if you wish), just click on the QUOTE tag on this post. After you've taken your copy of the coding -- that starts with [url and ends with /url] -- just use the "pageback" key on your browser, then go into "EDIT" for your own post, remove the bad link coding and paste the good one in. All fixed!

Also, here's ATS staff member zeddicuszulzorander's Handbook of ATS links, that shows you how to set up various codes, including linking to sites. I hope it'll be of some help to you.

Mike
edit on 7/1/11 by JustMike because: I added an edit!

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
If you just copy the link from the site and paste it directly in the message it works great. I don't use the link thing on top. I never figured out how to work it lol. Great find OP S&F

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

Thanks for the information and helping me save face- my first thread incase you couldn't guess
I just assumed copy and pasting the link would work, silly me.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   

There is a lot more to this than meets the eye.

Why would a country NOT use vaccination?

Because if you kill all the possibly infected animals you can export in three months. If you kill all the possibly infected animals AND vaccinate you can not export for a year. If you only vacinate you can not export for TWO YEARS! see OIE chart at the end of the post.

Remember the UK Foot and mouth disease fiasco? why were the worlds's top foot-and-mouth experts ignored, and what really lay behind an anti-vaccination campaign which was so blatantly based on misrepresenting the facts?

...When in April Holland used vaccination to tackle its 25 outbreaks of FMD, vaccinating 145,000 animals, there was no longer any suggestion that this would imperil the EU's trading status as a whole. In order to recover its full disease-free exporting status as soon as possible (since meat exports play such a key role in the Dutch economy), Holland agreed to slaughter all the vaccinated animals, since under OIE rules this would bring a return of full export status within three months, rather than the 12 months necessary if the vaccinated animals had been allowed to live...

DISEASE-FREE STATUS

OIE Animal Health Code

Table 1 Minimum requirements for a country/region to be declared
free from disease (OIE Animal Health Code)

DISEASE....No Vaccination..........No Vaccination.......Vaccination...............Vaccination
...................1st Recognition.........After Outbreak.....1st Recognition..........After Outbreak
(FMD).........12 month...............3 months - after.......24 month................12months - After
..................................................stamping out (a).....no stamping out.....after stamping out

As illustrated by the above table, it may take a considerable length of time after the last recorded incident of disease for a country to potentially qualify for ' freedom from disease X '. A minor episode towards the end of the qualifying period could constitute a serious setback with enormous financial losses for the affected industry. The fear of such severe consequences may affect the willingness of individuals or official bodies to report what they consider a minor incident.....” [or to test at all]
Source: www.fao.org...

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
They should have sent them to North Korea, just in case they were infected.

I am sure those starving NK's would appreciate it either way.
edit on 7-1-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

Its not the starving NK peoples fault they have the tailed 1 as their king. RIGHT

It does seem strange they didnt just kill them and burn them, burried alive man thats deep.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Those m#therf#ckers,how the f#ck can anybody do this to another living thing,this is shocking!

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mayura

Appear to be a cross of wild boar and human DNA from some ancient Atlantean laboratory.

No no no, as is apparent with the modern day species of human that is local to the USA (aka the human-diabetiss) that grow much larger then your normal human being, obviously a time machine from the year 2011 from the America`s went back in time to do some cross breeding with the wild boar species. Some kind of military weapon gone wrong?

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

It does seem strange they didnt just kill them and burn them, burried alive man thats deep.

Here is some more information on FMD.

First the animals can recover from it. It is not 100% fatal.

Second the animals can safely be eaten by humans.

Third and the reason they buried these animals alive is because FMD is VERY VERY contagious. Humans can carry the disease in their lungs for 48 hours.

Oh and just to make you real happy. The A$$e$ in our government moved the FMD testing lab off Plum Island and into the state of Kansas, the heart of cow country. The UK fiasco was traced back to a leak from Pirbright Labs, BEFORE this move was made.

And just to give you that warm fuzzy feeling - US Govt. acknowledges accidents at virus lab

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by innervision0730

Copying and pasting the link will work fine providing it's not too long, but the one the OP needed was very long and the system goes ga-gaaa over such stuff and often it won't load up.

Glad to help. We were all newbies once, especially with stuff like coding, never mind really fun things like ¡ʇuoɹɟ oʇ ʞɔɐq puɐ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıdʎʇ (Oh btw, here's type upside down . com's site.)

Ahem... Forgive the diversion. To get back on topic:

reply to post by crimvelvet

Yes, the points you raise are highly relevant to all this. Thank you for those details. Starred your post.

Simply put, then, it's the money factor. The trade factor...

Somehow that just makes this more repulsive. Decisions like this can only come from government level, and in fact, only a government authority could even legally get away with doing something this sickening. I strongly suspect that some bean-counter in some govt office somewhere figured out that burying these animals alive was cheaper than humanely killing them first and wrote up a quick report to his/her OIC. Then that went to someone high up (who also only thinks in terms of numbers) and who therefore simply sent out a memo ordering that this is what would be done.

What I think about such decision makers is utterly unprintable here.

I'll put it this way: I often let my wife know when I find some news on ATS that might not appear in our MSM here in the Czech Republic, but I'm not sure if I should tell her about this. It will probably make her physically ill.

Mike

edit on 7/1/11 by JustMike because: a typo

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   

So your belief that pigs are "disgusting creatures" is reason enough to make them suffer a torturous death of being buried alive, instead of being killed quickly and humanely?

Starred and Flagged OP. And I agree that it is a sorry statement about the state of humans to do such a horrible thing.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by mydarkpassenger

agreed,i felt so angry when i heard this,how can one person never mind an entire country do this to another living creature,imagine the pain and suffering these animals went through,it makes me so f#cking mad!

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Inhumane! Makes me furious, I know there are better ways to put them down if they even needed to be put down.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Mayura

"They havent even evolved naturally" what the f#ck does that mean?

"i believe pigs are disgusting creatures" pigs are the disgusting ones are they?
us humans aren't though are we,what with murderers,rapists,peadophiles...etc
edit on 7/1/11 by lektrofellon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I cannot believe you actually said this - no words can explain. It is people who think like this is the reason why our planet is going the crapper! There is never any excuse for blatant acts of cruelty!

edit on 7/1/11 by Australiana because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Thanks OP for bringing this to our attention,look, i just wanted to say this,im a man,i dont show my emotions in public,like many men thats the way i was brought up,thats the way we are conditioned,but since this is a forum i feel i can speak my mind and ill admit when i clicked that link and read that story and seen those pictures, i cried my eyes out,i love animals and see them as complete equals to humans and i question anybody who doesn't,i just wish there was something we could do to stop things like this happening again!

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by lektrofellon

Yes, I was very annoyed when I read this as well. I am not vegetarion, so perhaps I'm a bit hypocritical, but this just goes way too far.

Originally posted by crimvelvet

There is a lot more to this than meets the eye.

Why would a country NOT use vaccination?

Because if you kill all the possibly infected animals you can export in three months. If you kill all the possibly infected animals AND vaccinate you can not export for a year. If you only vacinate you can not export for TWO YEARS! see OIE chart at the end of the post.

I never knew this, I suppose this explains it perfectly. Thanks for the information- a very cynical move on behalf of whoever made this decision.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join