It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing pic i took of my friend firing his blackpowder rifle.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Hi all.

This is a pic i took about two weeks ago of my friend firing his blackpowder rifle.
It is a replica of the blackpowder rifles used in the 1750-1800 eras.

I took the pic one evening when we where doing some target shooting.

It took a 10 second exposure, with a very small aperature to capture the picture correct. Unfortunately i forgot my tripod so there is some blur, but the overall pic, i think, is rather amazing!!

Look at how close the explosion is to the shooters face, amazing, and all the little pieces flying everywhere is from the blackpowder igniting and burning in all directions.

VvV

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Thats a great picture, well done! The smell of blackpowder ahhhhh!

Cheers!

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by gardCanada

Thank you, nothing beats the smell of blackpowder!!!

This pic is basically just to demonstrate the amazing process that happens once you pulled the trigger.

VVv

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   
That is a really awesome picture.

Congrats! Was it a lucky shot or was it one of those cameras that take 30 pics in a second or whatever? Either way, its really nice to look at

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
wonderful pic! ive never seen one of those shot before thanks for posting it ..

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by MakeSoap

Thanks mate.

No, you need a camera that you can set the exposure time. I set my exposure to 10 sec, with a small aperature. A second after i pushed the shutter release, i told my friend to fire, the 10 sec shutter speed, because of the darkness, captures the light created by the "explosion", and because it is such a long exposure time, it gives you that cool effect.

You use the same technique if you want to capture water flowing, or fireworks at night. It really is not that difficult, you just need a decent camera.

VvV

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   
After seeing that amazing picture I will be demanding safety goggles the next time some one asks me to shoot a antique rifle.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

This is probably my first post ever in the Weaponry forum, but that is one awesome pic! Might try to get a similar pic with my Civil War reenactor son, firing one of his muskets. Thanks for the inspiration!

I'm a girl and I even like the smell of black powder, hehe.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by gemineye

Nice, glad you found it inspirational!!

If you need any tips or advice on taking the pic, feel free to pm me ok.

What would be awesome is to capture one of those old gattling guns firing at night, should look fantastic.

VvV

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Damn, for no tripod, that is a pretty clear long exposure shot. It is fun to mess around with photography and see what kind of cool shots you can get.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Ty man, i just held my breath, and steadied my elbows on my knees, so yeah it is possible, oh, and i used the VR setting on the lens, to reduce shake.

VvV

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Whats the info on your camera? I'd like to know what you shot that fantastic photo with.

Thanks in advance, and wonderful photo!

"I love the smell of black powder in the morning!"

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Cygnis

I used a Nikon d3100 camera with an 18-55mm lens. Flash was surpressed, and shot at ISO 100.

I also used a neutral density filter, which i actually forgot on the lens from earlier the day. The lens is a nikkor VR lens, and i used the VR to reduce blur. I used manual focus, cause the auto focus had a hard time focusing in the dark.

Hoped it helped a bit.

VvV

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   
woah cool shot!

Thank you for sharing!

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Very cool pic! I think some of the straight streaks are pieces of the flint shooting off. Particularly the ones at 6 o clock.

There is a piezoelectric effect that the flint creates as it strikes the strike plate. Your photo brings back memories of when I was a Kid.

I used to go into the backyard at night with a hammer and beat on this huge piece of rose quartz my mom had in the flower garden.

I was amazed at all the colors it would produce as it lite up half the backyard. I would then take some of the pieces that broke off and shoot them with my sling shot.

Fun stuff, and come to think of it, I never wore any safety glasses.

Ask your friend to dry fire the musket at night and you might be amazed at how much light is produced by just the flint.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   

What would be awesome is to capture one of those old gattling guns firing at night, should look fantastic.

Yes it would!!! There are a couple reenactments we do where somebody brings a gatlin gun. I didn't go to those particular reenactments last year, so I don't know if it was just there to be seen or if they actually fired it. This year, I'll be at every reenactment, so hopefully I can get someone to fire one of those bad boys at night, lol!

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Are you using real blackpowder? Reason I ask is because everyone is saying blackpowder smells good, and I have NEVER heard anyone say they liked the smell of blackpowder.Smells like rotten eggs! I like the smell of modern smokeless powders but hold my breath when shooting blackpowder. Pyrodex is bad too, but I found some of the new ones like 777 don't smell too bad. Maybe it's something you can get used to, I suppose different things smell good to different people, but this is a first!

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by xxclaro

Yes, we use real blackpowder, that we mix ourselfs. The smell is rather sharp, but only last a second or so, it is actually the smoke afterwards, wich smells real good.

Maybe i am just weird, lol

VvV

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Great pic!!!, it made me think back to my time on the firing line and night fire with tracers. Gunfire at night is such a wild experience. The pic also reminded me of WHY I don't shhot black powder. Thanks again for the pic.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
that is a really cool picture. i bought a BP rifle years ago and have still yet to go shoot it. i need to get on that one of these years!!!!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join