It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Passengers thwart Turkish jet hijack attempt today

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
BBC source

Passengers on a Turkish Airlines jet have overpowered a man who tried to hijack their flight from Norway to Istanbul, security sources say.

Turkish media reported that the man put on a mask and tried to force his way into the cockpit, saying he had a bomb.

He is said to have demanded that the plane return to Oslo before being subdued by passengers.

The man was arrested when the plane landed at Istanbul's Ataturk airport. No-one was hurt.

Turkish media said the suspect was a Turkish citizen from a Kurdish village in the south-eastern region of Anatolia.

The man's motives were unclear.

The Turkish Dogan news agency said the would-be hijacker had tried to force his way into the cockpit saying: "I have a bomb."

Lelya Kilic, one of the 59 passengers on board flight TK1754, said she heard voices from the back of the plane about 30 minutes before it was due to land at Istanbul.

"I saw a fight between passengers and a man with a mask, carrying a device that looked like a radio handset," she said.

The pilot raised the alarm and police said that when they entered the plane a passenger was sitting on top of the suspect.

Passengers were quickly taken off the flight and the man was arrested. The bomb was found to be a fake, Dogan reported.

Havnt seen anything about this on here today and wanted to share the news as usual.
Doesnt sound like scanners were too successful at the Oslo airport, if they even have any, for this guy to smuggle a fake bomb onboard. But kudos to the passengers who stopped this would be hijacker, for having the courage to do something, even if the threat he posed was small.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this, it's nice to hear some good news. S&F

To the group of people who stood up and owned that sucker, I applaud them for their bravery.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by youdidntseeme
Doesnt sound like scanners were too successful at the Oslo airport, if they even have any,

No full body scanners, but security is very good at Gardermoen.

This guy didn't have any explosives or weapons, and even if he had he was probaly too drunk to use them.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Its good to see that the passengers stopped a hijack attempt from happening even through there was a fake bomb on board.You just have to wonder what his motive was by attempting to hijack a plane. Why was he so desprite for the controls? I am glad he failed in that task thanks to the passengers and at least he did'nt take the controls .Its really terrible how these attempted hijackings happen. Its sad really.
edit on 5-1-2011 by keelan55 because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-1-2011 by keelan55 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hoangkongfuey
Thanks for posting this, it's nice to hear some good news. S&F

To the group of people who stood up and owned that sucker, I applaud them for their bravery.

I, too, like to hear good news in the world. So much is centered around all the 'bad' news.
Whenever possible I like to bring good news to those around me, and I will start here on ATS as well, because, once again, all we tend to see is the 'bad' news.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Proof in my eyes that passengers are no longer willing to sit back and just cooperate. I hope this gets some airplay since it is a great example for all passengers to follow.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
If he wanted off the plane so badly, I say the passengers should have helped him off the second the plane dropped below 12,000 feet.

Wasn't there an incedent a while ago where passengers injured the bad guy? But when the investigators started asking questions, no one knew who or how. Or was this just a tv skit?

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by samkent

TV skit or not, we should hear about this in every single skyjacking case.
Passengers are just not willing to sit back and take it anymore.
I think its great.

top topics

join