It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive fish kill blankets Arkansas River

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Massive fish kill blankets Arkansas River

www.cnn.com

Arkansas officials are investigating the death of an estimated 100,000 fish in the state's northwest, but suspect disease was to blame, a state spokesman said Sunday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Note: You must use the original headline from your source in Breaking Alternative News Please Review This Link
edit on 3/1/11 by argentus because: change headline to reflect that of source

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
This is a topic I have been discussing in my history course. It's fairly interesting in my opinion and I wanted to see what others would think.

Basically

What do you think is causing the animals to suddenly disappear.

First it was the frogs, then the birds and now fish. Is their a trend?

Is this a sign of a future world wide epidemic for the human race?

Discuss.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 3-1-2011 by zariyan because: (no reason given)

P.S. Sorry for my ignorance if I did post in the wrong section. Im bit new around the board.Would someone be able to tell me where this topic may be more appropriate?

edit on 3-1-2011 by zariyan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Im pretty convinced its the cell phone towers that have decimated bees and butterflies,garden chemicals the frogs but birds falling out of the sky and fish I don't know.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   
People in general, are responsible. Pollution, both chemical and electronic. I think we will see more animal and plant life dropping out. We have become more of a parasite than ever before.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
My theory on this is that it is due the the huge Hydro fracking campaign going on all over the U.S.

That process involves over 500 chemicals to allow the natural gas to come pouring out where companies can then capture it. I guess the question is, Are they hydro fracking anywhere near Arkansas?

Apparently they are doing this in Arkansas as well. This process is a nasty one for our streams and rivers. I became more aware of this method after watching the documentary Gasland on HBO. Its a must see concerning this.
edit on 3-1-2011 by Moose318 because: Afterthought

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I don't have enough information to make an educated hypothesis but there is no doubt that this sure is curious.

Given the size of this fish kill compared to last seasons, and to mention the ~5000 birds that also dropped dead in the same state makes this a though provoking topic indeed.

I hope we get some proper analysis done on both swimmers and fliers.

P&L

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
um......... has any one noticed this?

1000+ dead birds

BEEBE, Ark. (AP) — Wildlife officials are trying to determine what caused more than 1,000 black birds to die and fall from the sky over an Arkansas town. The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said Saturday that it began receiving reports about the dead birds about 11:30 p.m. the previous night. The birds fell over a 1-mile area of Beebe, and an aerial survey indicated that no other dead birds were found outside of that area. Commission ornithologist Karen Rowe said the he birds showed physical trauma, and she speculated that "the flock could have been hit by lightning or high-altitude hail." The commission said that New Year's Eve revelers shooting off fireworks in the area could have startled the birds from their roost and caused them to die from stress. Robby King, a wildlife officer for the agency, collected about 65 dead birds, which will be sent for testing to the state Livestock and Poultry Commission lab and the National Wildlife Health Center lab in Madison, Wis. Rowe said that similar events have occurred elsewhere and that test results "usually were inconclusive." She said she doubted the birds were poisoned.

this seems kind of strange to me.........

is there something up with arkansas?

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Wonder if there were any electromagnetic anomolies over that area when it happened.
It seems related that they happened so close together. Or coincidence, if you believe in coincidence. I don't.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by fallow the light

Ozark is about 125 miles west of the town of Beebe, where game wardens are trying to find out why up to 5,000 blackbirds fell from the sky just before midnight New Year's Eve. Dead birds a mystery in Arkansas Biologists believe the bird deaths were stress-related from either fireworks or weather and are unrelated to the fish kill near Ozark, Stephens said.

cnn.com

see only 125 miles from the occurrence with the birds. and from what others are saying in the dead bird thread that this is happening in other parts of the world as well..... .....creepy

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

no i dont. specially when comes to 100,000s+ of animals dieing.
this is probably related......im pretty damn sure of it.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Chatanooga had a fish kill months ago. The cause, they were dumping raw sewage into the river after their sewage plant lost power. They couldn't afford someone to man the plant and kick on a generator.

There are too many humans right now creating pollution and we can't afford people to prevent disasters like this.

In 2009 a Journalist poured a little dandruff shampoo in a aquarium and all the fish died. She was arrested for cruelty to animals.

She made her point...what we dump down the drain is killing life either directly...or by eliminating oxygen in the water indirectly. The Judge refused to put her in jail.

We're killing this planet.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
This, and the bird deaths, makes me think about that movie "The Happening".

I think this might be nature getting very pissed and warning us that we are not above natural law. Nature can reballance itself, and if it wants to slim down the human species it surely can. I won't say I think everyone is going to start killing themselves, but I do KNOW the world has a great many ways of killing creatures. One big methane "fart" from the core could completely destroy the ecosystems to the point that humans would eventually die from either starvation or straight suffacation.

Just a thought.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by fallow the light
um......... has any one noticed this?

1000+ dead birds

BEEBE, Ark. (AP) — Wildlife officials are trying to determine what caused more than 1,000 black birds to die and fall from the sky over an Arkansas town. The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said Saturday that it began receiving reports about the dead birds about 11:30 p.m. the previous night. The birds fell over a 1-mile area of Beebe, and an aerial survey indicated that no other dead birds were found outside of that area. Commission ornithologist Karen Rowe said the he birds showed physical trauma, and she speculated that "the flock could have been hit by lightning or high-altitude hail." The commission said that New Year's Eve revelers shooting off fireworks in the area could have startled the birds from their roost and caused them to die from stress. Robby King, a wildlife officer for the agency, collected about 65 dead birds, which will be sent for testing to the state Livestock and Poultry Commission lab and the National Wildlife Health Center lab in Madison, Wis. Rowe said that similar events have occurred elsewhere and that test results "usually were inconclusive." She said she doubted the birds were poisoned.

this seems kind of strange to me.........

is there something up with arkansas?

In the same STATE, in the same month??? Talk about a sign!

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
according to what I have read regarding this fish kill, it is a normal occurance each year. The difference in this incident is it was only drum that were involved. We have drum here in the chain of lakes in Illinios. They are a pretty healthy species. ( Great fun to catch). In fact some people here in our area feel the drum have gotten too populated. I've heard of talk that they are considering ways of lowering the population of these fish.

Is it possible that there is an overpopulation in the Arkansaw river, and they have found some kind of chemical to rid just this species?
I didn't read anything in the articles I saw regarding this theoy. Just my own thought.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Existing thread here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion.
Thank you

-thread closed-

for future reference:
Search ATS

top topics

join