It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Largest Prison Strike In American History Goes Ignored By US Media

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   

inmates in ten Georgia prisons, Baldwin, Hancock, Hays, Macon, Smith and Telfair State Prisons, to name a few, went on strike last Thursday to protest their treatment and demand their human rights.

According to an article by Facing South, Department of Corrections have been nervous about deteriorating conditions in Georgia’s prisons since early 2010.
source Now why do we put so many people in prison? Instead of putting prostitutes in prison put rapist,child molesters,murderers,etc.Why not let us do what we want if we aren't hurting anybody then we should be able to do it.

Conditions at the state prisons have been in decline, the inmates said. But “they took the cigarettes away in August or September, and a bunch of us just got to talking, and that was a big factor,” said Mike, an inmate at the Smith State Prison in Glennville who declined to give his full name.
source

Now why do our taxes go to prisons and there conditions so bad?

State mental health officials have stopped accepting new patients at Georgia's largest psychiatric hospital, following a federal inspection that found problems with patient violence, dangerous conditions and inadequate mental health treatment.
source

So Georgia's Government needs work on there state prisons and hospital.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by zombiesC4

So exactly how did they go on strike? Refusing to do roll call? I honestly want to know how a inmate can begin to rattle the system.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
It's all part of the plan my friend. Some apt lyrics presented in the following video:

edit on 1/1/2011 by rexusdiablos because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Most prisoners (at least in the North Carolina Department of Corrections) are given jobs. Some of these jobs benefit just that prison system, such as laundry duty, or bathroom detail. Other jobs benefit the county or State, such as roadside cleanup, etc. Some larger prisons even prepare meals or laundry for other smaller prisons in the same area. So inmates going on strike could disrupt the whole system. The prison system doesn't have paid janitors, cleaners, or cooks, so inmates not doing the jobs could become disastrous.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by packinupngoin

It's in one of the sources.They didn't come out of there cells.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
It's interesting that the news media didn't cover this.. wait.. no it's not.

It's interesting that those with nothing are willing to tell "the man" that they aren't happy, while those of us with everything will sit quietly and take what we are dished, and say "Thank you sir, may I have another!".

Perhaps a lesson here?

I do, however, think that, if the government is going to incarcerate people. they must take care of them. Failure to properly care of inmates, and human rights violations go unnoticed more then we known, and it's a shame.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   

oh boo-hoo they took away your cigarettes....
Our prisoners get treated better than some citizens...
Have you seen the prisons in other countries?

Speaking of which....I heard that the Guantanamo bay detainees get to watch tv and have art classes...

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by freedish

But you don't see a problem with that? 25% of the worlds prison population is in the USA. So I think we need to kick the drug users and prostitutes out of prison. Then instead of taking our taxes make them grow they're own food.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by zombiesC4

But you don't see a problem with that? 25% of the worlds prison population is in the USA. So I think we need to kick the drug users and prostitutes out of prison. Then instead of taking our taxes make them grow they're own food.

Nailed that one right on the head.

What do we have, something like 3 million US prisoners? How many working class folks are there draining the economy instead of fueling the economy?

It is criminal what we are doing with our judicial system. Absolutely. The tyranny of 600,000 laws is a weapon which no populace can hope to withstand.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Obviously the average American doesn't agree with you.

I do agree that our government is corrupt though..

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Perhaps some of the countries that have lower prison populations have found ways to make non violent, drug free lifestyles more appealing? Glorifying drug use and violence in popular media certainly doesn't help the US cause in that department. The tight media control in countries like China looks almost fascist from the US perspective but look at their productivity and low crime rates.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by freedish

Obviously the average American doesn't agree with you.

I do agree that our government is corrupt though..

and the average american couldn't tell you the first thing about the constitution. Most people think the constitution guarantees rights for us. No...it limits what the government can do. The first amendment doesn't guarantee me free speech. it limits the governments ability to limit free speech.

subtle nuance, i know. But it really matters in some discussions. Such as prison over crowding.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
The US has a large inmate population of illegal aliens that are criminals from other countries.
and state prisons have to fallow federal rules on inmate treatment and care.

likely a federal judge will get into this and find overcrowding, substandard conditions, and other illegal activities on the part of the state.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
The US has a large inmate population of illegal aliens that are criminals from other countries.

likely a federal judge will get into this and find overcrowding, substandard conditions, and other illegal activities on the part of the state.
But thats the problem the government doesn't care about inmates conditions if my taxes are paying for them I want better conditions for them.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

You dont need to know anything about the constitution to know that drug offenders need to be in jail.

It's an OPINION that most americans have...

otherwise the laws would be different....we the people...not we the government

edit on 1-1-2011 by freedish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by freedish

You dont need to know anything about the constitution to know that drug offenders need to be in jail.

It's an OPINION that most americans have...

otherwise the laws would be different....we the people...not we the government

edit on 1-1-2011 by freedish because: (no reason given)

If you believe that We The People has applied in the last 50 years, you may be mistaken.

Drug laws are the way they are because of tyranny. Nothing more. What does it matter to you what a drug user does? Why do you care? The laws obviously don't deter anyone...so what is the goal? To just round people up? That is all that the drug laws do....round up people. Of course, those people are usually either minority or low income earners.

But what business is it of yours if someone wants to sit at home and do drugs? Or if they want to purchase the time of a prostitute?

I will tell you what...lets have a generation of actual, true, honest discussion about drugs, drug use, and drug policy. Then put it to a vote by the people. The half assed brainwashing used by the religious right (which is a large portion of who keeps pot illegal) and the government (who makes a ton of money off of their growing and selling of drugs from third world countries likeCosta Rica, Panama, Nicaragua, Colombia, Laos, Vietnam, Afghanistan, Mexico, etc, etc) have created an "education" around a message that promotes their own means.

I will make note that you prefer to impose your will on others in a tyrannical fashion. Stripping the choice, and responsibility for that choice, from the individual.
edit on 2-1-2011 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED

But thats the problem the government doesn't care about inmates conditions if my taxes are paying for them I want better conditions for them.

I agree with this completely.

But would also like to see them growing/tending their own food. Even if you are in solitary confinement, you can grow an herb box.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   

For reference - there is a thread HERE about this same prison issue in GA.

~Heff

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
What happened did they remove internet access for the prisoners?

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Drugs deteriorate societies- how many people have died over drug violence? There are laws against it for a good reason... ( and even if you provide evidence to the contrary I STILL don't want drugs in my society) and obviously the majority of Americans feel the same way..otherwise we would elect politicians to repeal those laws.....it's a government of the people...even IF the people are asleep...btw i love your user name haha
edit on 2-1-2011 by freedish because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join