It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drivers Set To Face Organ Donor Question

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
CX

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Drivers Set To Face Organ Donor Question

news.sky.com

Drivers applying for new licences will soon have to answer a question about organ donation.

Applicants can skip over a question when applying for a licence under the current system.

But from July the new procedure will make would-be drivers state if they want to sign up to the NHS Organ Donor Register or defer a decision until a later date.

(visit the link for the full news article)

CX

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Reading the article, then reading the comments from Sky News readers below it, brought up a good question.

Where is the opt out option on the form?

The article states that you will be given the option to sign up for organ donation, or defer your decision to a later date.

What happens if you are very much against someone taking your organs after your death?

I am in no way argueing for or against organ donation, i personaly think it's a good thing that helps many. I just think you should be given the option to make it very clear to everyone that you don't want to donate as well.

Maybe it's just an error, or people making an issue out of nothing, in this day and age though you never know what you could be leaving yourself open for....pardon the pun.

CX.

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

My attitude to this is that if they want drivers to donate organs, then I believe that persons arrested for and convicted of knife related crimes should be asked the question as well. And while we are at it , those employed by the tobacco industry ought to be asked if they would mind donating thier lungs if they die, those who produce heavy alcoholic beverages should be asked to donate thier liver upon death. Also I believe that every member of the current government should offer up the vast percentage of thier wealth upon death to the people whos livelihoods they are in the process of destroying.
And while we are at it, lets have all the surgeons convicted of malpractice forced to donate thier entire organ system to victims of surgical failiure, and so on and so forth etc etc. Or, an even better idea, the government could always just full on QUIT making choices on the behalf of the people, and do as they are blasted well told. No cuts, no lost jobs, more freedom, or we burn you all. Thats the game, its time they played it.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

Like most people, I see organ donation as an admirable act.
I must agree with you and posters from the comments section of the article.
If the only possible responses are "yes" and "maybe", it really isn't a question, is it?
edit on 1-1-2011 by 23refugee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure I had to answer the organ donation question on my provisional license, and I got mine about a year and a half ago. Not that it bothers me anyway, coz I have a donor card. But yeah, I'm pretty sure that there'll be an opt out, you can't not have one.

I think what it is, is the fact that we don't have enough organs, and there probably are a lot of people who would donate, but never get around to it, and their family say no, because they don't know if that would be what they wanted... You see the problem. A lot of people have driving licenses so it's the best place to pose the question. The only reason I have is I got a leaflet from work, but if I hadn't, I'd've probably indicated on my license, which means it's bringing it to public attention in a better way, really.

But there will be a 'no' box. It's probably like it already is where it has a little box which says 'yes' and then you tick which, and a box which says 'no'. You can always change your mind either way though.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Bang on buddy,

Won't be long now, revolution! burn the *SNIP*,,,,

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.
edit on 1/1/2011 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

And while we are at it , those employed by the tobacco industry ought to be asked if they would mind donating thier lungs if they die, those who produce heavy alcoholic beverages should be asked to donate thier liver upon death.

Unfortunately smokers lungs and alcoholic livers are generally rejected for transplantation due to the damage they have sustained from substance abuse. I do agree that everybody's opinion on the matter should be noted as it can be a very traumatic experience for all involved when these decisions need to be made. With the individuals opinion in the matter recorded before sustaining life terminating injuries it does aid in the process. It is difficult for the government to record everyone's opinion on a topic. This is a very good start.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Where I live, KS USA, you are asked if you want to be a donor. If you do it is listed on your dl and you are listed on the donor registry, which becomes a binding contract, which is not "changeable" by your next of kin. With exception to minors.
Organ donation is not just about organs. It's also about tissues, skin, eyes, tendons and everything else. The only 2 things that will absolutely keep you from donation are AIDS, HIV and active Hep B at the time of your death.

That being said. I refer you to what I call the " Michael J Fox Syndrome", not feeling ill will towards Mr. Fox or anything but he just stands out as an example for it. That being, he didn't give a darn about Parkinsons disease until he got it. A lot of people are like that. They will instantly say "NO" to being a donor, however if the time comes that they need the kidney, heart or whatever, they will transform into poster children for the issue.

IMHO opinion the whole issue that keeps people from donating revolves around fear. Fear of death and dying, fear that "they" will let you die just to get your organs.
I look at it like this. If I die tomorrow and I don't donate, someone else might not be saved. And if you save one life, you've saved the world.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
There is good reason to opt out, I was one but not any more.
They don't use any anesthetic, when they take it out and they often don't wake long to take out the organs. In Europe they wait a whole week to bury you for very good reason, for some of what we call dead truly is fully dead. Stats on being buried alive aren't all that great. Imagine those same stats applied to organ donation.
If they're not going to not take a chance and put some under, just in case, the donation's off for me and my family.

And on top of that there are vans being deployed at the east coast to nab organs quickly, from what? I can't remember the details of this it was a thread somewhere.

I don't think its safe to be a part of this system for organ donation.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I am one of those who believe that they would just let "a useless eater" die in order to provide organs for one of the "elite". I opt no.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

MY decision and I would tell my children, as well, to SAY HELL NO!!!! When we can't receive we are sure as hell not Going To GIVE! Is there a blank space to write all that into it?

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

I don't think its safe to be a part of this system for organ donation.

I have heard of stories of people waking up in ice cold bath with a phone number and phone to call an ambulance after they have been drugged and had organs removed with out consent. There are also stories where you can go to china and buy some organs from a death row prisoner that does not have much choice in the matter. These processes have safety and moral concerns. In a hospital system with a lot of peer review and procedures to handle these delicate and difficult issues it is relatively safe as every procedure has it's risks. The hospital system does work hard to save lives and has performed many miracles. Sometimes things are beyond their capabilities and sometimes things go wrong. There is a supply and demand for these organs and I support their efforts to find a solution to a problem.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
How about this. Not to upset anyone or anything like that, but, if you're an organ donor previous to the need for an organ, you go to the top of the list. If you are not, you wait for the scraps.

Cold hearted? Not as much as letting a good heart, which, btw, has 4 hrs to be transplanted, rot in the ground.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I don't know about in the UK, but over here in the 'States they asked all kinds of inane questions when my grandpa died and was going to donate his eyes. Maybe they wouldn't have to resort to such measures if they stopped rejecting people for stupid reasons.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
i will opt for a 'open on death' letter to relay my wishes on my bits. with what happened regarding the nhs selling our freely donated blood to other countries i find the whole push for this distasteful. it should be voluntary i agree but thinking what one poster stated regarding organs going to the elite or as i would put it to someone wealthy enough to pay, i for one will not be compelled into signing into a legally binding contract. i watched a close friend slowly die over three years because the system kept changing it's mind for a transplant that would have saved him. he wasn't rich just another joe like me who worked all his life only to spend the last three in horrible agony.
with the nhs slowly infiltrated by private companies (all parties to blame here), i feel it will become the preserve of the wealthy. that being said if my conciousness follows my organs, i'm sure i'll balance things out by pressing the wealthy recipient to become a person of good causes and hopefully giving a good portion of their wealth to the needy.
f

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
It's been that way in my state for years. You CAN sign up, but you don't have to. Seems simple enough.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I'm uncomfortable with the idea of organ donation - particularly eyes and kidneys - but I don't have a particular problem with choosing between "Yes" and "No opinion". If there is an opt in, you're not automatically in, so there doesn't really need to be an opt out, does there?

edit on 1/1/2011 by TheWill because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

There needs to be a way to say no. One cannot be burried according to their religious beliefs in certain sects if their entire body is not present (with only extraordinary circumstances as exceptions).

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit
reply to post by CX

My attitude to this is that if they want drivers to donate organs, then I believe that persons arrested for and convicted of knife related crimes should be asked the question as well. And while we are at it , those employed by the tobacco industry ought to be asked if they would mind donating thier lungs if they die, those who produce heavy alcoholic beverages should be asked to donate thier liver upon death. Also I believe that every member of the current government should offer up the vast percentage of thier wealth upon death to the people whos livelihoods they are in the process of destroying.
And while we are at it, lets have all the surgeons convicted of malpractice forced to donate thier entire organ system to victims of surgical failiure, and so on and so forth etc etc. Or, an even better idea, the government could always just full on QUIT making choices on the behalf of the people, and do as they are blasted well told. No cuts, no lost jobs, more freedom, or we burn you all. Thats the game, its time they played it.

Right on...

I couldnt agree with you more my friend...

Lizzy

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Does the movie *REPO MEN* come to mind to anyone?

Some religions as Rastafarian does not allow you to donate.

I believe you should be able to get payed for giving organs.

If someone with the right kind of money needs a kidney and I have a good kidney (which matches) for them I would sell mine for 1.5 million.

Why should that be illegal?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join