It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

News: Queensland, Australia with Massive Floods – Thousand Evacuated

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   

News: Queensland, Australia with Massive Floods – Thousand Evacuated

www.piluz.com

We right away have twenty-two towns or cities which have been possibly roughly flooded or removed since a roads have been cut off to them. That represents a little 200,000 people travelling an area that’s bigger than a distance of France as well as Germany combined.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I'm surprised this has not been posted yet.

200.000 thousand people and 22 cities flooded is IMO a major disaster.

My heart goes out to all those people that are currently victim of these floods. What a terrible way to start a new year. I can only imagine what they are going through.

Good luck to all and be save.

www.piluz.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   
I've been watching news reports about that here in the US. Many prayers to all who are in the area. Are you near there?

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   
yeha pretty much and area of france and germany combined is flooded. Not good man. The waters coming up to thier roofs and only going higher isn't it? I saw a picture in the newspaper today with someone having their tinny attached to the roof of their house. ridiculous...

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
wow, this is just horrible news ... condolences and prayers to all involved. thanks to the OP for posting this ... no tv tube on yet, so this is the first i've been made aware it's happening. S&F for you.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Yeah it's pretty bad, but we're no strangers to these disasters. We're just lucky not to have been hit by major earthquakes yet.

*knocks on wood*
edit on 31-12-2010 by aRogue because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by maybee

No I'm not even close.

It just bothers me that so many people have to go through this . As if there are not enough people in a bad situation already.

I know what it's like to lose everything you own and it really isn't fun.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

The floods have been covered in the media, but not to the same extent as Australia losing THE ASHES to England in the cricket, among other less significant stories as is the norm.

Wishing all of those affected by this disaster the best of luck - our thoughts and best wishes are with you.
edit on 31/12/2010 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Found this in relation to the flooding, interesting and scary

poleshift.ning.com...

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Posted here : abovetopsecret.com...

It is very shocking and like i said its terrible how we have gone from one extreme (bush fires) to another (floods).

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I'm up in QLD now on holidays and i was lucky to have escaped the worst flooded areas, New years was bloody fantastic though reall sunny!

but now it's pissing down raining again and the roads are all shut.

I have no way to leave the area, i have access to shops that's it for now, hopefully they open the road back up to the city again soon

Btw what they fail to tell you all is they are forced evacuations ppl don't have a choice they are been dragged onto the choppers and told to leave everything!

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Destroyer2012

I'm sorry to hear that man all the best for you and your fellow aussies.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Terrible floods! I hope for the best to all the familes who may be affected by the floods and I really hope that the floods do not continue. It is a huge flood crisis at the moment with some rivers also being affected. I wish the rain would stop and just go away.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Destroyer2012

Btw what they fail to tell you all is they are forced evacuations ppl don't have a choice they are been dragged onto the choppers and told to leave everything!

They can do that?

If you don't oblidge, what will they do?

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
gulf of mexico anyone
2nd

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Latest news from the BBC

Australia's Queensland faces 'biblical' flood
www.bbc.co.uk...
This is really HUGE effecting an area the size of France and Germany combined

A senior official has described the flooding in Queensland, Australia, as a disaster of "biblical proportions".

State Treasurer Andrew Fraser said the economic impact would be severe, with huge costs compounded by lost income from mining, farming and tourism.

Rockhampton, where 77,000 people live, is the latest city bracing for impact, amid warnings of 30ft (9m) floodwaters.

More than 20 other towns have already been left cut off or flooded across an area larger than France and Germany.

The crisis has been triggered by Australia's wettest spring on record. At least six river systems across Queensland have broken their banks. The floods have affected about 200,000 people, and many have been evacuated.

"We're still directly battling floodwaters, we haven't seen the peak of the flood yet at centres like Rockhampton," said Prime Minister Julia Gillard, who toured the stricken areas.
My best wishes to the poor people being effected by this.

edit on 1-1-2011 by tarifa37 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
crazy stuff its like something out of that film heavy rain

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 05:41 AM
link   
The hard times keep coming, we keen helping eachother through them.

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   
well if they stopped hogging the water, this would not be happening. Sure they may have the rainfall/downpours but the river would flow onto SA.

Why is the Coorong dying? Because Qld, NSW & Vic decided to dam/block the rivers so they could own it.

I am in SA and we have had drought after drought..water restrictions and it is so sad to see the state of the Murray River. The Murrumbidgee River is a main waterway through VIC and NSW. The Darling River flows into the Murrambidgee and then on down through the Murray...

Murrumbidgee

Darling

Government in action

Who’s in charge on the Murray-Darling Basin, and how anything ever gets done is quite a confusing issue. After a lot of arguing and promises, a new collaboration between the state governments (NSW, ACT, VIC, QLD and SA) and the federal government was initiated in 2007. Then Prime Minister John Howard promised $10 billion to help implement a unified management plan. Some have welcomed the Commonwealth’s involvement, while other states (especially Victoria) have been very reluctant to give up their state responsibilities in favour of a federal ‘take-over’. These bodies work with the Murray-Darling Basin Commission (MDBC) to deliver environmental programs. Proposals and initiatives must be collectively agreed upon through the Murray-Darling Basin Ministerial Council.
(from 2008) is archived now on google but situation remains the same...

actnow.com

edit on 27/1/2012 by Thurisaz because: edit to add

new topics

top topics

join