It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

They need to do a remake of "I am Legend"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
One of my favorite short novels of all time reduced to a mediocre nonsensical Hollywood action/horror with little in common with it's source material, Those were my thoughts after seeing 2007's "I am Legend"...the only thing they had in common was a tenuous relation to the virus in the novel and the main characters name.

I really do think somewhere down the line this needs a faithful translation into film, the atmosphere in the novel was palpable and gripping, I for one could not put it down! what are your thoughts? did you enjoy the film? or did you find it lacking compared to the novel?

I appreciate your views on one of the greatest sci/horror pieces of all time!

Thanks!

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I didn't read the novel, but LOVED the film. Sometimes reading the book first makes the movie a great disappointment. But maybe I'll get the book for my husband. He's looking for some good Sci-Fi to read.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

You really should! It differs greatly from the film in terms of scale but is much more personal and you can form a greater relationship with Neville, The film also focuses more on the science of the supernatural, it's a great little read!

I remember LOTR behind similar, I had my own interpretation of Middle Earth that the film failed to capture, I really should save myself and watch the silver screens interpretation first, I do think that "Children of Men" lived up to my expectations though.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
The Will Smith version of "I am Legend" wasn't the first - see "The Omega Man" with Charlton Heston from 1971 and "The Last Man on Earth" 1964. Personally, I viewed "The Omega Man" in the theatre and loved it, but alas, even I am too young to have seen "The Last Man on Earth" in theatres. Obviously, the cinematography and special effects in the Will Smith version are most spectacular, and the Heston version was a bit "timely" for 1971 (it looks a little goofy by today's standards).

ganjoa

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ganjoa

Dont' forget about "Planet Of The Apes'

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ganjoa

I don't think anything comes close to the 1954 novel, you would have to pace the film in a similar way to "The Road" which was a beautiful interpretation and handled in such a way to pay homage to it's source material.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I actually was required to watch I Am Legend for an English class a couple of semesters ago, and then write a cause and effect paper on it, so I really had to break the film down. I really loved the movie and thought it was one of Will Smith's best roles. Since I didn't read the book, I can't compare the two, but as anyone who has read a book and then watched the film adaptation, they can be quite different.

Also I have to mention Alan Weisman, a writer and journalist who wrote Earth without People and The World without Us, both of which explore the idea of the end of the human race and what happens to the animals, plants and infrastructure left behind, very similar to the premise of I am Legend. If you loved I am Legend, those two works may interest you as well.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I was going to point out The Last Man on Earth, as has another member already. Of course being a big Vincent Price fan, I love this movie. It also seems to have some influence on Night of the Living Dead, I am sure Romero must have seen this movie. I have seen the Omega Man, I think, a long time ago. I have the DVD now, but haven't watched it. Personally, I was disappointed with I am Legend.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Crutchley29

All in all, regardless of the departure from the book, it was a good flick and enjoyable to watch. No where near the collosal # up of battlefield earth. That was the worst book to movie adaptation EVER. It should've been split up into three separate movies and Terl and the other aliens should've been doen entirely with CG, in fact, they should redo it as an entirely CG movie following the book much more closely.

I think hollywood would be much better off if they would just follow the books more closely in general. The only exception being First Blood, the movie was much better than the book IMO and I like that author for his other works.

Jaden

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Crutchley29
"Children of Men" lived up to my expectations though.

Oooh! Thanks. We're looking for good Sci-Fi movies to watch. I hope our video store has this one. Any other recommendations would be appreciated. We've seen most of the popular ones.

Looks like it's rated R for violence. Not crazy about that, but I think we'll give it a try anyway.
edit on 12/29/2010 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   

That would probably be for the end scene...which is one of the most incredible accomplishments in modern cinema ever, it's a pretty hard hitting film.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
We're looking for good Sci-Fi movies to watch. I hope our video store has this one. Any other recommendations would be appreciated. We've seen most of the popular ones.

Here are a few off the top of my head.

Moon

Triangle

Sunshine

The Fountain

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Thank YOU! It's a Sci-Fi frenzy in the BH household tonight!

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   

No worries my friend.

Let me know what you think of them

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Crutchley29

I haven't read the book but I too was disappointed in the movie mainly because they added the woman and the kid and entirely messed up what could have been two hours of Will Smith pwning zombie-vampires in the face with his dog as a side-kick. I didn't like that Smith sacrificed himself at the end.

The original book, as far as I know, was about vampirism and the vampires all had the ability to think and reason (like the ones in Omega Man) and had their own society. So the movie was very different and I agree they should remake it. Maybe a remake will give vampires back the dignity they lost with the Twilight series.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Sorry if this is a bit off topic but man i wish someone would remake doom and resident evil into proper sh#t you up horrors!

also i think dune would be a good film to remake although i love david lynch that film was a bit pants!
edit on 29/12/10 by lektrofellon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by lektrofellon

When they remake the Doom movie they need to base it on the original game and not on DOOM 3 and they need to do practical effects. Imagine how cerebral and scary one of those giant meatball monsters would look if they actually did it right.

new topics

top topics

join