It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Common Arguments for "GOD" to Be Aware Of

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Came across a really interesting article that summerized some of the arguments Theists have for "GOD" or for their belief in God:-

(1) Holy Books – Just because something is written down does not make it true. This goes for the Bible, the Qu’ran, and any other holy book. People who believe the holy book of their religion usually disbelieve the holy books of other religions.

(2) “Revelations” – All religions claim to be revealed, usually to people called “prophets.” But a revelation is a personal experience. Even if the revelations really did come from a god, there is no way we could prove it. As Thomas Paine said, it is a revelation only to the first person, after that it is hearsay. People of one religion usually disbelieve the revelations of other religions.

(3) Personal Testimony / Feelings – This is when you are personally having the revelation or feeling that a god exists. Though you may be sincere, and even if a god really does exist, a feeling is not proof, either for you or for someone else.

As a matter of fact, scientists have begun to study why some people believe and other don’t, from a biological perspective. They have identified certain naturally occurring chemicals in our bodies that can give us religious experiences. Studies of identical twins separated at birth seem to indicate that god-belief is about 50% nurture and 50% nature. Some claim to have found a “god gene” that makes people more likely to believe.

In studies of religion and the brain, a new field called neurotheology, they have identified the temporal lobe as a place in the brain that can generate religious experiences. Another part of the brain that regulates a person’s sense of “self” can be consciously shut down during meditation, giving the meditator (who loses his sense of personal boundaries) a feeling of “oneness” with the universe.

(4) “Open Heart” – It will do no good to ask atheists to “open our hearts and accept Jesus” (or any other deity). If we were to set aside our skepticism, we might indeed have an inspirational experience. But this would be an emotional experience and, like a revelation, we’d have no way to verify if a god was really speaking to us or if we were just hallucinating.

(5) Unverifiable “Miracles” / Resurrection Stories – Many religions have miracle stories. And just as religious people are usually skeptical towards miracle stories of other religions, atheists are skeptical toward all miracle stories.

Good magicians can perform acts that seem like miracles. Things can be mismeasured and misinterpreted. A “medical miracle” can simply be attributed to our lack of knowledge of how the human body works. Why are there never any indisputable miracles, such as an amputated arm regenerating?

Regarding resurrections, atheists will not find a story of someone resurrecting from the dead to be convincing. There are many such legends in ancient literature and, again, most religious people reject the resurrection stories of other religions.

Modern resurrection stories always seem to occur in the Third World under unscientific conditions. There have been thousands of people in hospitals hooked up to machines that verified their deaths when they died. Why didn’t any of them ever resurrect?

Source: friendlyatheist.com...

edit on 28/12/10 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.

Mod Note: Starting A New Thread – Please Review Link

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count. Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread. If you feel inclined to make the board aware
of news, current events, or important information from other sites, please post one or two paragraphs, a link to the entire story, and your opinion on the information as
a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

edit on 28-12-2010 by GAOTU789 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   
well written

thank you

i have often thought that the smart ones in our society invented a soul and a heaven and a hell and are charging us lots of money to save the soul they invented, from a hell they invented, and send us to a heaven they invented

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Believing in "not" believing... is still believing in something

which is.. also a prison that most atheists end up creating for themselves ...
keeping them stuck in the same box as the rest of the religious believers (sheep)

The so called gap in our understanding of life's great mysteries... is created by our own belief
(restricted thinking )

that which cannot see beyond it's own self

most of our scientists are also stuck in their own belief system ...(glass castles) ...so they too are restricted

it is very difficult to break out of the safety of our self made belief prisons,
so that we may step back and experience the bigger picture of life and all it's wonders.

man has created his own world through his beliefs

and it is man's belief that he uses to cover up his true heaven on earth.
ironically that which all religions promise... is actually hidden by the belief of what heaven is ....!!!

you have to go through the mirrors of religion in order to see beyond the reflection

"There are none so blind ..that cannot see "

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Before I go further, please let me state that I am a Christian, of the Eastern Orthodox variety.
Having read that list, may I say that it pretty much sums up Western Protestantism in a nutshell? I have always been of the belief that the best way to lead others to the Christ I serve is by example, not arguments. I can give the greatest speech about God in the world, but that in and of itself will not lead anyone anywhere.

Also, please remember that just as all atheists are not Christian-baiters, neither are all Christians sanctimonious types who want you to say a magic prayer and remove all fun and free thought from your life. Would I rejoice to see you join our ranks? Certainly! Am I going to hound and pester and generally make a nuisance of myself? Perish forbid!

This was a good post. Simply because we have a mystical experience with the Divine does not mean it must be discounted, just as the Christian faith should not be afraid of free thought and reason. And, in my opinion, both sides need to stop attacking the other, and try to act like we're all in this together. Which we are.

Forgive me if I have offended.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
My simple explanation for this is quite clear.

It seems that more and more people don't want to be held accountable for their actions.
Therefore they don't believe in judgement or consequences.

So...just simply saying there is no God, is a cop out.
It's just like saying that this Earth is here by chance.
It's perfectly placed here for the exact conditions to harbor and flourish life.

Yeah....I'm going to believe an atheist and say its all chance.
Right.

This thread will turn into a battle.

Just to keep my fires low, everything I post is merely my opinion.
I am not saying I am right or wrong.

Everyone is entitled to one thing.
Their opinion.
(or belief)

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Only when religion is fully eradicated, its texts destroyed, and its practitioners deemed the lunatics they truly are can people truly be free.

Lets hope that day comes soon.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by xsheep

keeping them stuck in the same box as the rest of the religious believers (sheep)

The so called gap in our understanding of life's great mysteries... is created by our own belief
(restricted thinking )

Aren't you judging?

"Believing in "not" believing... is still believing in something" - - this makes no sense to me.

Not believing in a mystical omnipotent being - - has nothing to do with anything else. An Atheist just asks for concrete proof.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by havok

It seems that more and more people don't want to be held accountable for their actions.

So...just simply saying there is no God, is a cop out.
It's just like saying that this Earth is here by chance.
It's perfectly placed here for the exact conditions to harbor and flourish life.

An Atheist lives each day as a contribution and responsibility to the world he lives in.

An Atheist does not live it because of a promised reward at the end.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Cannot a Christian do the same? Live each day to contribute, not merely because of a reward? What of those who see making a contribution, to making the world jusat a little better, as the obligation he has to his fellow man and not because at the end of the day, he gets a "pat on the head", so to speak?

This was merely my opinion, and not an attempt to fan flames. Forgive me, please, if I have.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Thats a crock of bull.
An atheist lives everyday denying things to make sense in his own realm.
As if man is smart enough to know everything? Come on.
We know absolutely nothing of this world and only theorize or guess what we think is right.
I understand that we can't possibly comprehend true power or knowledge.

Atheists just seem to be looking for any excuse to act foolheartedly.
Again, lacking acknowledgment of his or her own actions and any repercussions.

I am not getting into this arguement again.

I dont buy into 'atheism'.
Just another way to do anything they want without feeling guilty.

To me, believing in God has its own rewards.
Im not worried about promises of rewards after I die.
I know that everything I do has reactions.
Good or bad.

At least a believer will have thoughts about consequences.

Either way you have your ideas, I have mine.
Thats what makes ATS so great.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cyprian
reply to post by Annee

Cannot a Christian do the same? Live each day to contribute, not merely because of a reward? What of those who see making a contribution, to making the world jusat a little better, as the obligation he has to his fellow man and not because at the end of the day, he gets a "pat on the head", so to speak?

This was merely my opinion, and not an attempt to fan flames. Forgive me, please, if I have.

My posts are not meant to be personal. I just respond to the post.

Never said Christians can't.

It is Christians who continue to blast Atheists for not having anything to live for - - on that premise.

There are many Atheist Charities who contribute to making the world just a little bit better. God is not a requirement.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by havok

But that works both ways, doesn't it? Don't some people justify their own misdeeds by invoking the judgement of their deity? Suicide bombers slaughter others in the sublime knowledge that they will be rewarded in the afterlife. Ministers preach fear and loathing of others convinced that their deity shares their own racism or homophobia. It takes genuine courage to take absolute responsibility for one's own actions, and that is only possible if one fully understands that there is no "higher power" to justify or forgive them.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   

reply to post by Annee

That's a crock of bull.

An atheist lives everyday denying things to make sense in his own realm.

When someone is Ignorant and Prejudice - - they are Ignorant and Prejudice.

Enjoy your life.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   

That doesn't make sense at all. You either believe, or you don't. Not believing in something is not a belief in not believing, it is the absence of said belief.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001
reply to post by havok

But that works both ways, doesn't it? Don't some people justify their own misdeeds by invoking the judgement of their deity? Suicide bombers slaughter others in the sublime knowledge that they will be rewarded in the afterlife. Ministers preach fear and loathing of others convinced that their deity shares their own racism or homophobia. It takes genuine courage to take absolute responsibility for one's own actions, and that is only possible if one fully understands that there is no "higher power" to justify or forgive them.

Maybe I should retract my statements and just state this:
It seems NO ONE, wants to be held accountable for their actions.
Christian, atheist, or otherwise.

Its all based on opinion, not prejudice, ANNEE, thanks for that one...
You have a great life too. Thanks.
I think before I act.
I do have moral standards...not prejudices'.
I believe in whats right or wrong, what makes sense to me, as you do.

This type of arguement happens consistantly on ATS and there is no clear winner.
It seems that atheists are always telling believers that they are wrong and they need proof.
Makes for great threads.

I don't need proof.
My question is, why can't you humble yourself enough to accept that there are things that you can't control?
Why do you need proof that things are the way they are?
What are you truly looking for?

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   

I don't need proof.

Just out of curiosity, do you believe in Santa Claus or the tooth fairy ?

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by xsheep

well said. ideas=freedom

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

(restricted thinking )

Aren't you judging?

"Believing in "not" believing... is still believing in something" - - this makes no sense to me.

Not believing in a mystical omnipotent being - - has nothing to do with anything else. An Atheist just asks for concrete proof.

Annee are you defending your atheist belief here ?

what is a belief ?

A belief is something that is not true in your own experience and therefore ends up needing to be defended
what do you think all those holy wars where about.....people killing each other to defend their own religiouse beliefs.

Annee I cannot show you the holy Ghost ....and neither can a scientist or a holy preacher
as the "holy Ghost" which is so wonderfully named .... is with out reflection (oneness)

you have to find the truth of (oneness) in your own experience

something you need to experience for yourself

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by BigTimeCheater

I don't need proof.

Just out of curiosity, do you believe in Santa Claus or the tooth fairy ?

Obviously this thread is turning into meaningless attacks and senseless statements.

I will refrain from any further comments.

Thanks for the good read.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by havok

Everyone is entitled to one thing.
Their opinion.
(or belief)

Even Hitler, Stalin? Anti-Semitism is a "belief" that Jews are inferior, it's an idiotic, cruel and unreasonable belief and one which has very serious consequences.

It's ok to have beliefs, but when a belief is so strong it causes hatred and prejudice - i think it's time to stand up and say something. The exclusivity with mono-theistic doctrine, which inherently makes it's follower think this is the TRUE faith/religion of GOD and causes them to assume non-believers or people of other religions are inferior and, in some cases, they assume these people are going to burn in hell.

Yes - it is just a "belief", but it still has no evidence to back it up and it's an infectious belief that has caused all sorts of human conflicts throughout history and even still to this day.
edit on 28/12/10 by awake_and_aware because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join