It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Julian Assange's book deals worth $1.5 million

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Julian Assange

www.news.com.au

WIKILEAKS chief Julian Assange has said in an interview he signed deals for his autobiography worth more than one million pounds ($1.57 million).

Assange told Britain's Sunday Times newspaper that the money would help him defend himself against allegations of sexual assault made by two women in Sweden.

"I don't want to write this book, but I have to," he said.

"I have already spent 200,000 pounds for legal costs and I need to defend myself and to keep WikiLeaks afloat."

The Australian said he would receive the equivalent of $800,000 from Alfred A. Knopf, his American publishe
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 26-12-2010 by q_ball because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Looks like he may be making some money off his biography, im not too learned on this character but it comes as no surprise that he was offered this type of deal or a film deal even (they did one on the facebook guy) so none of this comes as no surprise!

Ideas or comments?

Keep it civil please!

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   
He already has money, he is certianly no pauper. He is showing that he is money hungry, and for me that speaks volumes. I didn't trust his intentions via wikileaks, he has an agenda, money, and that has been clear. I think he also has an agenda to gain power. That would be great if he were a humble and geniune player at what he appears to be doing, however, he isn't.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Worth 1.5 million? What kind of joke is this?

He is STILL top news on almost every news outlet every day or two, and it's been going on for weeks.

Today I saw a header on CNN that said Cuba was reporting on leaked cables from Washington about Cuban policy. So Wikileaks/Assange/Wikigate is still a top story.

That means his book deal should be worth more like 15 million.

It will be an international best-seller.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 03:41 AM
link   
He was offered the vast sums by a capitalist, to publish his works so that it may be access by a wider audience.

He did not seek nor beg for it. He too, just like you and I, have needs to meet for daily living, more so for him as he faces court charges and extra protection for revealing truths.

That money may seem alot to ordinary you and me, but by the end of the day, there will be nothing left as TPTB do their darnest to strip him of everything for having the guts to challenge them.

The capitalist publisher is the only one making the most, profitting off Julian's status. Do be aware, ublishers only pay a small percentage of royalties to authors.

Still, it is one's freedom of choice to buy or not to buy his book or books. No one will be forced with a gun or given threats to purchase it, the way our education system had forced billions of school children to buy from 'selected' authors for their courses....
edit on 26-12-2010 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by space cadet
He already has money, he is certianly no pauper. He is showing that he is money hungry, and for me that speaks volumes. I didn't trust his intentions via wikileaks, he has an agenda, money, and that has been clear. I think he also has an agenda to gain power. That would be great if he were a humble and geniune player at what he appears to be doing, however, he isn't.

LMAO, Tiger Woods gets more than that to scratch his ass..

Assange needs the money for lawyers to fight bogus charges..

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

His expenses must be through the roof. However, I have heard that the lawyer/barrister he has retained is the family lawyer for the Rothschild family. That kind of lawyer would be expensive. At this time I have no evidence to back this statement up with however it was passed on to me by someone who usually knows such things. I will research it and try to post up evidence for/against his lawyer.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 03:59 AM
link   

He is not that rich considering he needed to borrow up to £250,000, to pay for his parole. Now he needs to pay that money back. A book deal will help that no doubt.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by GTORick
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

His expenses must be through the roof. However, I have heard that the lawyer/barrister he has retained is the family lawyer for the Rothschild family. That kind of lawyer would be expensive. At this time I have no evidence to back this statement up with however it was passed on to me by someone who usually knows such things. I will research it and try to post up evidence for/against his lawyer.

Maybe proof before posting is a better idea..

BTW, the dubious link with no proof was to a laywer Soros used occasionally..

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

He had money, a very little at that. Then the swiss banks stabbed him in the back and closed his accounts. I believe it was 30k in his defense fund and whatnot on the personal account. Not much. You need to realize that wikileaks is a huge operation and that doesn't come cheap. Getting this bookdeal might be the difference between a normal lawyer and a public defendant not to mention 250£ for his bail. If you want to make money having a leaks website is not the way to go

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Anyone who goes mainstream like he has, they are bound to make money in the weirdest ways. People get famous off of youtube too

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

I am not sure what dubious link you are talking about. I really haven't been paying that much attention to his legal situation but you are correct proof should be posted one way or another.

Ok, I found a couple of sources, this is one of the first ones:

Assange Lawyer

It is from a site called current.com and I am not familiar with their reputation or work.

The basics are Assange hired Mark Stephens from the firm of Finer, Stephens and Innocent to represent him in court. This firm represents the Rothschild Waddesdon Manor Trust according to the article.
edit on 26-12-2010 by GTORick because: Add link.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Good idea.

People should remember that the corrupt interests being exposed have strangled the donated funding for wikileaks by leaning on Paypal and the US based Credit Cards firms and Swiss Banks. Not legal proceedings mind you, just threats like a traditional mob would employ.

This is a way to get funding through another route. A bit harder to shut this down although I expect they'll be leaning on the publisher as we speak.

I'll be buying a copy. Its an investment in freedom of speech.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   

What a load of rubbish! Because he is offered loads of money for a book or film deal, that means he is money hungry! lol.

If i was him, doing all the stuff he is doing and someone offered me a 1.5 million book deal then of course i would say yes, why would i not? And it makes me laugh because all the people moaning about it would too at the end of the day.

With all the crap he is going through, are you saying he is wrong to get a bit of money out of it?

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
apparently tony blair got twice that amount for his book in advance with 'profits' going to good causes.
i just wondered to myself who has blood on their hands?
it's not julian who should be in court, it should be the names we are all familiar with.
the hague awaits answers.
f

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
It's a sad day for human justice when the real criminals, with human soaked blood stains get millions in book deals and goes scott free, while innocents get hauled before courts, to pay for legal costs and their time, effort and stress to prove their innocence over what billions in the world would readily acknowlege it is no crime to reveal only the truth or being smeared with other charges for telling the truth, for truth had always been upheld since we were kids and all the way till we passed on..

This is what our world had came to, and that responsibilty for what had happened can only be laid on you and mine generation for allowing it to happen. Our forefathers would have wept had they bee alive today, for all their struggles, sweat, toil and precious blood spilt for us all....no need to mention what the next suffering generations will think of us over what we had irresponsibly and apathetically done.....

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr

He is not that rich considering he needed to borrow up to £250,000, to pay for his parole. Now he needs to pay that money back. A book deal will help that no doubt.

AFAIK bail money is refunded as long as you don't abscond or skip bail.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Do you have any evidence that he "has blood on his hands," or that he has gotten off "scott free?"

Thanks.

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101
It's a sad day for human justice when the real criminals, with human soaked blood stains get millions in book deals and goes scott free,

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
1.5 million...that is chump change in the book world.

Guess they are not expecting major sales....but you always have to account for the whackos.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Julian has earned his money and it appears his handlers agree.

He has fulfilled his role and will proceed, in time, to go the way of Steven Greer. Alternatively, he may go the way of Dr David Kelly.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join