It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US 'non-emergency' embassy staff must leave Ivory Coast, State Department orders

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   

US 'non-emergency' embassy staff must leave Ivory Coast, State Department orders

www.rawstory.com

The United States on Sunday ordered non-emergency staff to leave Ivory Coast and warned Americans not to travel to the West African country, which is in the grip of growing post-election violence.

The US State Department also ordered relatives of its staffers to leave Ivory Coast, where at least 50 people have been killed in recent days.

The US government cited a "deteriorating political and security situation" and "growing anti-western sentiment" in the West African country.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   
This would not happen if the State Dept. did not think there is a real problem. Over every thing else I do hope the violence will come to an end and no one else gets hurt. The article goes on to say that both candidates have claimed to have one the election, but the incumbent is refusing to leave office. So it sounds like you have a situation of one person refusing to give up power.

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Well at least they have not completely left the embassy. My take on the election is that the people wanted an new PM. With a tribal cultural to their history, I can see how it is hard to relinquish power once you become their leader / Chief. In the past changes of leadership usually meant death, again this is just my take on the situation. What if the old leader gets some over site position within the government, similar to what happened in Russia after Putin got voted out. Helps in the transition, he does not have to worry about the nitty gritty detail, but is still around to troubleshoot and help on the big problems?

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Just one thing to point out.
If this incident has lead the US embassy to remove its staff from the building to this degree, it probably ceased to be mere post election violence or unrest some time ago. This is nothing less than a precursor to a civil war. Embassy staff, no matter whos embassy you mean, tend to stay until the S is so far past Hitting The Fan that its turned to a nasty spattered mush on the wall behind it.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

True Brit
thanks for posting.
and I fear you may be right. It does seem as though a civil war is brewing.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Well what about some African Nation over site committee for the older PM. He has a lot of knowledge, contacts and understanding of his nation. A Continent Council of Elders?
edit on 21-12-2010 by kwakakev because: changed tribal to continent

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by kwakakev

Kwakekev
thanks for the post

And as to your idea, it may or may not be a good thing or what is needed, and I do think your heart is in the right place. I just mostly think that the incumbent who lost the election should just bow out graciously by accepting the vote.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

With the problems with Mugabi and other national leaders there is some cultural differences going on. Africa has heaps of problems and it is good to see some regional collaboration taking place. By providing a position of older PM's to elevate to it provides incentives to move on and continue their growth and contribution.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Kwakekev
that is a good point to make. I just also do feel it is wrong to refuse to leave office because you don't like the out come of the vote. If fraud has happened that is something different.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
It is a valid point. As you move around the world the laws and culture changes. Some of the main points are the same, but a lot of different technicalities do exist. The first world countries have produced a lot of positives in spreading throughout the world. The common English language has produced great benefits for global organisation. Problems have developed from the one size fits all cities that have grown. It is great that we have been there to help guide them and try and implement the proper checks and balances, with mixed success. Ultimately it is up to the people of Africa to decide what is tradition and the social norms.

With the problems the USA is facing in their government at the moment, new technology to aid in the democratic political debate is fairly likely. Africa does not have this luxury or social incentive to follow a similar path. They come from a long history of once you where leader, you stayed there until you died. Politicians who are incompetent should be removed. It just seams to be an ongoing problem with African leaders, things move a bit slower. I am just putting it out there. Better if we can communicate with words instead of weapons.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Kwakakev
you are spreading some good wisdom, thanks, star.
Yes every society will have its problems, and its different culture. What ever they are I just do like to think something better will come in the end. All to often it seems to be a pipe dream.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Dreams change, but as long as you keep striving you will get a few of them. Good luck.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
you do realize how many countries
elections are manipulated by the CIA
Covert Ops ???

Just ask:
Iraq's Malawki (spelling)
Afgahn's Karzai
Iran's Ahdmadenijad (spelling)
Cuba's Castro

protesting elections that are manipulated
by CIA Covert Ops is a valid reason
for contesting an election. And it happens
in just about every nation on this planet.
As long as there are clandestine agencies
operating, there will never be another true
free election.
edit on 12/21/2010 by boondock-saint because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
It might not be so much the cia rigging the elections, it is probally the coupe, their own politicians, TPTB over their that set it all up, rigged the election.

The CIA didn't corrupt that horrid government anymore then they were already.

I would issue them out of the embassy also, no need for those innocent people to die in cross fire that has nothing to do with them.

GOOD GETTING THEM THE HELL OUT!!!

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I knew some one was going to blame this on covert ops, namely the cia sooner or later. Actually I am a little surprised it took as long as it did. but all the same thanks for posting to all.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   
There are many CIA stories like this. Hard to be certain of just exactly who done what, but if they did it the evidence will be there.

top topics

join