It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Debate: Do Christians, Muslims, and Jews worship the same God?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Last night my father and I got into a debate with my cousin about whether Muslims and Christians worship the same God.

Christianity is a decedent of Judaism, almost everyone agrees with that.

So are Christianity and Islam Related?

Similarity Facts:

-All three worship a Single God.

-All three Are against idol worship.

-All three believe in Prophets

-All three believe in the great flood

-All three are decedents of Abraham.

The split between the Jews and Muslims came from Abraham.

Abraham had 2 sons Ishmael (mother Hagar) and Isaac (mother Sara). The Lord Promised Abraham that he would be the father of great nations, and that his sons, both Ishmael and Isaac, would be the leaders of great Nations.

Hagar and Ishmael, left to seek out Abraham, Sarah, and Isaac and traveled to a near by land in the desert where he married an Egyptian and had many children.

Issac stayed with Abraham and Sarah in the land that was Abraham's, he married Rebekah a Canaanite from a near by land and had many children.

This is where it get's tricky. Both were from the same father, but many argue that since Hagar did not grow up with Abraham he could not have known Abrahams God, therefore he created his own god to worship.

I do not know the Details of the Koran, so I can not and will not make a claim for the Muslims,

however it is my opinion that All three Religions worship the same God.

But if I were to go into my Church and say that, It would be blasphemy.

So what do you think?

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
basically. But its always the same story "my god is better than your god" and you must die die die!!!! infidel.

line 2

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by thewholepicture

Jews and Christians worship the same God. Although Jews don't seem to believe that Jesus was God.

Muslims are way off base. I truly think that's a doctrine of devils.

Here's the problem with Judaism.

You can never be good enough for God. You can never follow the law well enough and get into Heaven.
Everyone falls short of the glory of God. It's so simple- that's why we NEED a saviour, Jesus!

I'm not too sure about Islam- but unless it teaches that we can't get to Heaven by our own deeds, an that Jesus is the son of God, it is wrong. Sorry if that seems closed minded.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by freedish

Jews and Christians worship the same God. Although Jews don't seem to believe that Jesus was God.

You can never be good enough for God. You can never follow the law well enough and get into Heaven.
Everyone falls short of the glory of God. It's so simple- that's why we NEED a saviour, Jesus!

I'm not too sure about Islam- but unless it teaches that we can't get to Heaven by our own deeds, an that Jesus is the son of God, it is wrong. Sorry if that seems closed minded.

There is no God but Allah, and Mahamad(sp) is his prophet, Thats all the muslims believe. They know jesus existed and they are aware that he was a great teacher, but they consider Mohumed(sp) to be the prophet. So In a sense, yes they all do worship the same God, because there is truly only ONE supreme God.
edit on 18-12-2010 by SirKnightE because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by thewholepicture
So what do you think?

I think all people who worship a god worship their own god. Each one has an image or idea of what god is to them. There are similarities, of course, but the god that Fred Phelps worships in not the same god as my mother worshiped, for example. Yet, they both claim Christianity as their religion.

So, it doesn't matter if a group of people all say they worship the same god, I think if we could get into their heads, we'd find that each person's god is just a little different.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Well all three of those religions keep saying there is only one God so how could it be otherwise?

I mean, if one group worshiped a false god the other two groups would have to admit the existence of two gods, one true and one false. So the answer must be yes. If only one of those religions worshiped the true god and the other two false ones then there would have to be three gods, one true and two false. So the answer must be yes.

False or true whatever gods exist all have to be counted and tallied up.

By the way both Judaism and Islam claim all three religions worship the same God. It is Christianity which stands alone with their obnoxious statements to the contrary. Why is it always the Christians who seem so damned determined to make life miserable for other religions? They should leave others alone and mind their own sins for a change.

One of the reasons Christianity gets such a bad rap in the world is because so many other peoples in foreign lands are happy and content with their own religions and resent outsiders coming in and suggesting to them that the things they believe are false.

Religion is personal and private for each of us. God has no religious preference. So long as people behave themselves God doesn't give a fig what religion they belong to.

Now watch the Christians howl and complain about that.... They always complain about something.
edit on 18-12-2010 by trailertrash because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by trailertrash

Well all three of those religions keep saying there is only one God so how could it be otherwise?

I mean, if one group worshiped a false god the other two groups would have to admit the existence of two gods, one true and one false. So the answer must be yes. If only one of those religions worshiped the true god and the other two false ones then there would have to be three gods, one true and two false. So the answer must be yes.

False or true whatever gods exist all have to be counted and tallied up.

By the way both Judaism and Islam claim all three religions worship the same God. It is Christianity which stands alone with their obnoxious statements to the contrary. Why is it always the Christians who seem so damned determined to make life miserable for other religions? They should leave others alone and mind their own sins for a change.

One of the reasons Christianity gets such a bad rap in the world is because so many other peoples in foreign lands are happy and content with their own religions and resent outsiders coming in and suggesting to them that the things they believe are false.

Religion is personal and private for each of us. God has no religious preference. So long as people behave themselves God doesn't give a fig what religion they belong to.

Now watch the Christians howl and complain about that.... They always complain about something.

Please dont generalize Christians. I fashion myself a christian because I follow the ways of Jesus the Christ, Christ meaning the anoited one, christians are like little Christ. I can easily say i'm a spirtualist also. But Jesus the Christ has been my personal example. If I knew buddah(the Christ), or krishna(the christ) as well as I know Jesus the Christ, I would probaly considered myself buddist or hindu which also serve the same God, just through there own personal examples of God-form. Jesus was my God form. Mohummad is muslims God form, budduh god form for buddist. Jews..... well I couldnt tell you who they fashin their god after.... Maybe money ... I dont know. But not all Christians are bible thumping holy rollers who think their sh!t dont stank. Cause trust me, I just drop a heavy one and it ran me out the bathroom

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I think Judaism and Islam are closer in theology than Christianity is to either of them. In Judaism and Islam they believe in One God who is able to forgive sins alone. In Christianity God is Three (the Trinity) and God had to come down in the form of a man to die so he could forgive sins. In that sense no Christianity and Islam don't worship the same god.

Judaism and Islam reject all forms of polytheism including that of God in there persons. They are purely monotheistic.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
yes, it is monotheism.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Subhuti
I think Judaism and Islam are closer in theology than Christianity is to either of them. In Judaism and Islam they believe in One God who is able to forgive sins alone. In Christianity God is Three (the Trinity) and God had to come down in the form of a man to die so he could forgive sins. In that sense no Christianity and Islam don't worship the same god.

Judaism and Islam reject all forms of polytheism including that of God in there persons. They are purely monotheistic.

According to (my)God, there ARE multiple gods, just none greater than him. If we were made in his image, then call us by our name, A quote from Erykah Badu. Even Jesus said we are Gods, but none greater than the father. The KJV of the bible in opion does not fully explain what it was Jesus came here to do. He came to do more than just die for our sins, but to instruct us in how to become like God which is all loving.

Matther 22: 37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself. 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Since God is love, If we strive to be greater love than God, I dont think we can go wrong, But since he is the greatest love there will ever be we all fall short of his godliness. I dare anyone to try to out love God, But if theres no pics it never happened right.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
One God, three different perspectives on how we relate to him, and how we are reconciled to him. For Jews, through the Law. For Muslims, through the Quran and the prophets. For Christians, through Christ. Fundamentally different, of course, and all three think that the other two "just don't get it", but the founder of the faith is Abraham, in all cases, so the God of the faiths must be the God of Abraham, same for all three.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   

thewholepicture,

I find the answer to that is easy, there is only one God who gave of Himself a Redeemer. One who in Truth also in Truth proclaiming "I am the first and the last" who also was the eternal pre-exitent one.

Well the Jews questioned Him "Who art Thou?" Well many didn't ever realize that He was God with them in the body of a man. Truly He was Emmanuel as that name means. One equal to God only could shed His Blood that would suffice for all that ever sinned that would come to Him.

He is Reigning now and He did all the creation, including Satan and all the angels and man. That is the reason His name is "LORD of Hosts" . Read Isa. 44:6, before He came in the body of man, made then a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death and that He might have blood to shed. Because as God He could not die.

All others are proven false as they have no sure Redeemer. Our Redeemer proved it, He arose from the grave and many others at the same time, that we too that are His know our salvation is for sure.

Ac 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.

He will be God over all until He has returned everything back to The Father when it is accomplished the total plan of redemption that was laid before anything, from all eternity this plan was laid. Unbelievable to you? Well it is all in the Word but few discern it. Read 1 Cor. 15:24-28, a real eye opening explaination given in those few verses.

That my friends is your answer. It is the Truth.

Truthiron.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Jews and Muslims worship the same god.
Muslims and Jews worship One God.

Christians worship a different god than Jews and Muslims...
Christians worship Jesus as God or son of god and a 3-part Trinity god.
Jews and Muslims do not worship a god in flesh, or a multi-part god.
If Christians worship only the "Father" then they would worship the same god as Jews and Muslims.
Jesus/Son and Holy Ghost are only worshipped by Christians.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Yes and No. You have to study very closely the differences between these three faiths. Jews and Muslims believe in the same nature of G-d aka Allah in Islam.
G-d in Judaism
Allah in Islam

Christians differ how they view God. Many view Jesus is God. Where Jesus is a human and in the sense God cannot become human because that would be consider idol worship.
God in Christianity
You also have the Trinity where Jesus is related to the Father (God) and the holy spirit.
Where in Judaism and Islam G-d cannot be divided or it would make G-d or Allah in Islam weak.

So it's open for debate. Personally I believe we have the same influence but I don't worship the same G-d as Muslims and Christians do. My view on G-d and the laws of G-d is very strict compared to Muslims and Christians.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sahabi

Except that, by Christian theology, the Father, Son and Holy Ghost are all God. Three aspects, one essence. Three perspectives, one will. Sort of how the happy me, the quiet me and the sad me are all still me, or how my intellect is me, my wisdom is me and my body is me. Not the same thing, but that's a way of looking at it.

So when a Muslim worships God, they are, indeed, worshiping Jesus, just not knowingly (or willfully, depending on how you look at it.) Not that it really matters -- Christian salvation comes through the acceptance and following of Christ, not through the act of worshiping him.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by freedish

You're quick to say humans can't do this and can't do that. While you bring up the savior concept very quickly. You do know Jews are not looking for a savior? Jews don't even believe in the Original Sin doctrine.
We believe in Free Will and the forgiveness through prayer.
Three Articles on Original Sin debate
I do respect your views. But everything you bring up to me is totally different how I view G-d, his laws and what he has promised for everyone.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen

Originally posted by Sahabi

Except that, by Christian theology, the Father, Son and Holy Ghost are all God. Three aspects, one essence. Three perspectives, one will. Sort of how the happy me, the quiet me and the sad me are all still me, or how my intellect is me, my wisdom is me and my body is me. Not the same thing, but that's a way of looking at it.

So when a Muslim worships God, they are, indeed, worshiping Jesus, just not knowingly (or willfully, depending on how you look at it.) Not that it really matters -- Christian salvation comes through the acceptance and following of Christ, not through the act of worshiping him.

You couldn't be more incorrect with your statement. Why are you using a Trinity concept for people like Muslims who believe Allah cannot become a human and be divided? It defeats the purpose of the "Oneness of G-d or Allah". The Christian doctrine of Jesus is so different that it's like a new religion.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

Sahabi,

The Jews knew of the coming Saviour as the lamb slain morning and evening is what pointed to that fact. They missed out when He didn't come as a Great King as they expected. That first time He came was not as King but as the lamb slain from the foundation of the world. This plan was laid before Christ did the Creation. All things were made by Him.

Joh 1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

There is but one God and He was present in Christ. He was fully God covered with humanity. He had humbled Himself as man to save us. Christ was not another God, He was The God of all Creation. The Holy Spirit is God and not another God. Read John 4:24.

The True God gave Himself in the Redeemer. The Father, Son and Holy Spirit ARE one and the same. God is not limited that He cannot be what He needs to be. He is Omnipotent. There is nothing that when He plans to do it, it is done..

Messianic Jews are actually Christians are they not? If not who is their Messiah? Many I'm sure recieved Him and worshiped Him and still do.

I wanted you to realize some of us Christians only have one God, as truly there is only one.

Truthiron.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snickersman

Originally posted by adjensen

You couldn't be more incorrect with your statement. Why are you using a Trinity concept for people like Muslims who believe Allah cannot become a human and be divided? It defeats the purpose of the "Oneness of G-d or Allah". The Christian doctrine of Jesus is so different that it's like a new religion.

As always, I am taking the perspective that reality is what it is, it is not dependent on what one would like it to be. If the Christian perspective is correct (and I obviously believe that it is, or I would not be a Christian,) then the reality is that God is Father, Son and Holy Spirit, a trinitarian essence.

This does not make Muslims or Jews Christians, as I said, nor does it mean that I think they believe in the trinity or that they should, it merely points out that, by Christianity's reckoning, Jesus IS being worshipped by any Abrahamic follower who worships God.

If the Christian perspective is not accurate, then this is not the reality, and my comments make no difference at all. So the correctness or incorrectness of my statement is tied to the correctness or incorrectness of Christianity, and that alone, but if it is correct, it is correct for ALL people, whether Christian or not.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

Worshiping Jesus or any form of Idol worship is unfamiliar in the Islam and Judaism sense of G-d. You can claim Rastafarians do worship Jesus is some forum. But the concept of G-d in human forum or a part of a divided trinity is totally different how Jews and Muslims worship G-d.
G-d in Judaism
Allah in Islam
God in Christianity
Compare and debate the three.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join