It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists: We're people, just like you.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Considering some of the unfortunate bigotry going around towards atheists around ATS and the world, I'd like to clear something up about the group of people I happen to belong to.

I'm an atheist.

That means one thing about me: I do not believe in any deity. It's not that I hate the deities, I just don't see evidence for their existence. I don't even have too much of a problem with people believing in those deities, so long as they don't impose that belief upon me or hurt others due to their belief. Sure, I'll engage in a discussion of belief vs nonbelief on the internet, but I don't tend to discuss it too much elsewhere.

Now, as an atheist I have a lot of things in common with theists.
I have hopes, dreams, aspirations, etc.
I feel pain, heartache, suffering, etc.
I love my family, friends, and other people in general.
I want to see the world as a better place.
I want to raise a family in a safe environment.
I want people to treat each other nicely.

I could go on with a list of things that we have in common that would fill up pages and break my fingers from repetitive stress injuries. I'll just tell you a little bit about the human, more personal aspect of the person you know only as madnessinmysoul.

I have a girlfriend. We'll be celebrating our three year anniversary in February and I'm planning on proposing to her in a year and five days.
I'm studying and working towards a career making feature films. I have a great passion for filmmaking, can't get enough of it. I want to use the filmic medium to help people understand each other better.
I live in a small Mediterranean nation which is 98% Catholic, but I get along well with the majority of people here. The reasons I don't get along with people are decidedly not related to their religious preference or mine.

Those are just some human details about my life.
Would other atheists like to share something about how they are, in fact, just humans like everyone else?

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I disagree...

It is obvious to see the countless off difference in humanity.Atheist don't share those differences atheist are simply part of it.

That's why I would not say that atheist are people like you....

Atheist are you. You could be a religious guy or an atheist although not at the same time.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

madnessinmysoul,

I too do not press you or anyone in my belief system, but I am like you, I want to school about why I see and understand what I do. I never could settle with the idea this life is all there is to it. I have to have an answer for that is why I can not be Atheist.

Too many in this world of crooks have not had any advantage to gain enough to have a so called "good life" here. Governments always have gotten very corrupt in less than 200 yrs. and that has happened to America. It has become a "heaven" for the elite but slavery for the peons. We are slaves to a system that has grown out of the best set up government that has ever been but we as sheep have let it get away from us.

What principles have led to this? Not True Christian principles. What principles would you say has led to this sad state of affairs we are in.

Oh, by the way, you better get that Gal married and make her your own. Another year and 5 days is a long time for a Gal that's madly in love with her man. There is an old saying "Get em while they're h_ _." Just for a little humor.

We all need the right answers and they are there but I find we try to find them a lot in all the wrong places. But never the less keep up the good search.

Truthiron.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I am also an atheist.

I have a great interest in spirituality.
I believe in an afterlife (even though there's no proof)
I have faith in people and things.
I have a wonderful and happy life.
I have high morals.
I have a great deal of compassion for other people and animals.
I support freedom of religion and do not demean people for their beliefs. I respect people.
I am kind.

I've been married for 18 years and I believe strongly in marriage and love. My passion in life is my dogs. I love music and singing. I started singing in church and I studied religion for the first 35 years of my life. I worked as an electronics technician at Intel, GTE, Siemens among other places. I live in a small, high-desert town up in the mountains of New Mexico on a farm. I love my life.

I'm a regular person.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

I have a question for any atheist who wants to be respected for the person who he/she is, without being judged on the basis of their atheism.

Can you honestly say you have the same respect for one who believes in god as you would have for that person if he/she was an atheist?

If your respect is lowered because that person is a theist, how can you ask to be respected by theists?

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

My respect for someone isn't based whatsoever on what they believe about a god.
edit on 12/18/2010 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Theism or atheism doesn't change my perception of any individual. I tend to care more about their actions as an individual than their beliefs or lack thereof. Three of the people I most respect in this world are actually Catholic priests. Three of my closest friends? Theists. My grandparents? All of them are theists and I respect them equally.

My father? Up until three years ago he was a theist. I was an atheist for three years prior to his deconversion. I thought of it as...nothing really. It was just a different thing.

It's just one fact about their life, I can't hold it too much against them. It's not like it's whether or not they eat babies.

The acceptance or denial of a deity is irrelevant. Theism, deism, atheism? People are people. They should be respected for their actions.
edit on 18/12/10 by madnessinmysoul because: typo

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
(Atheists: We're people, just like you)

no they are anglophone speaking people who we used to be like when we were young adults growing up in a free society, Unfortunately even in a free society there still must be some morals and rules.

these morals had to come from somewhere, least now we not forget...

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kailassa
Can you honestly say you have the same respect for one who believes in god as you would have for that person if he/she was an atheist?

I wonder if people who believe in God respect atheists in the same way they respect other believers... It's a good question.

My mother had religion as the center of her life. She was a wonderful Christian and I had (and still have) a great amount of respect for her. She was also wise, honorable and very intelligent.

My brother and his wife (theists) were here in October in his motorhome. Every trip they take, they spend a long time at our place because we get along so well. I have a great deal of respect for them. Has nothing to do with their belief in God.

One of my favorite mods here is Kinglizard, an open theist. I respect him greatly.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   

I don't know how you would even know someones position on god unless they went around wearing an I heart Jesus / Richard Dawkins badge
I don't know about you but I don't tend to ask people about what religion they belong to when I first meet them, I tend to talk to them and base my friendship or otherwise to them based on other things, like if they are a nice person or not and whether or not we get along.

If the subject does happen to come up during a discussion then its a discussion just like any other, I wouldn't disrespect someone just for holding that belief any more then I would disrespect them for believing in aliens or voodoo or crop circles.

Edit to add
My girlfriend is quite religious and was bought up as a strict 7th day adventists, so I guess I'm sleeping with the enemy

edit on 18-12-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I wonder if people who believe in God respect atheists in the same way they respect other believers...

it's not about respect, for religious people they look at it as 'Love' religious peoples love these atheists like children, as God our father love us religious folks.

edit on 12/18/2010 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Madness, usually in this world you are treated in a way consistent with the way you treat others. If you believe somehow you are being treated in a poor way may I suggest it has more to do with the way you interact on the board and less to do with your personal beliefs.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic.Artifact

I wonder if people who believe in God respect atheists in the same way they respect other believers...

it's not about respect, for religious people they look at it as 'Love' religious peoples love these atheists like children, as God our father love us religious folks.

Unless they're Canadians. - Right?

no one likes Canadians

Or is that attitude what you mean by "love"?

When you are so sure God your father only loves you religious folks, doesn't that make it a wee bit hard to love atheists?

Personally, I find assertions of love from people who believe I'm hellbound patronising, and would prefer respect.
Which is why I asked about respect, and not the overused word with a million meanings, and often no meaning at all.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   

it's not about respect,

Actually, the question WAS about respect. Kailassa's question and my question.
Not about love.

for religious people they look at it as 'Love' religious peoples love these atheists like children, as God our father love us religious folks.

So, you think of us as children? Interesting. That almost indicates a lack of respect, but if that's how you feel, I appreciate the honesty.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   

today is not the day for practicing what you preach...

My opinion on Canadians is irrelevant here, I know there are good Canadian people as there are good people of all walks of life, just mot of the anglophones I have met on the internet come from Canada.

it was an observation

I met quite a few and have read quite a few posts from respectable Canadians here on ATS... it may begin to change my and others views towards Canada's youth.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

Theism or atheism doesn't change my perception of any individual. I tend to care more about their actions as an individual than their beliefs or lack thereof. Three of the people I most respect in this world are actually Catholic priests. Three of my closest friends? Theists. My grandparents? All of them are theists and I respect them equally.

My father? Up until three years ago he was a theist. I was an atheist for three years prior to his deconversion. I thought of it as...nothing really. It was just a different thing.

It's just one fact about their life, I can't hold it too much against them. It's not like it's whether or not they eat babies.

The acceptance or denial of a deity is irrelevant. Theism, deism, atheism? People are people. They should be respected for their actions.

That's the answer I'd expect from you, Madness, as I've seen you treat everyone with patience and respect.
You treat people well and should have a right to be treated well in return, but sadly that's not the way forums work.

However I still have a little quibble with those who, like you, "can't hold it too much against them."
There are many people in this world, both now and throughout history, who have claimed direct, unmistakable proof of god has been given to them. I'm one of them.

For someone like me to be friends with an atheist means either we lie by omission in order to not have our beliefs held a little bit against us, or we come clean and put up with the fact we will be believed to be deluded at best, and, at worst, a liar.

You compare a belief in god with a belief in an orbiting teapot, but how many people claim to have experienced an orbiting teapot?

I don't expect your attitude can be changed any more than my past experiences can, but it makes me a little sad.

I love your posts though, and respect the rationalist approach to life.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic.Artifact

Yay! BIGOTRY!

Oh, and atheists live in countries that aren't anglophone. I'm actually bilingual, speaking both English and Maltese (poorly), a semitic language.

Unfortunately even in a free society there still must be some morals and rules.

You know, I agree too. They can come from reason and empathy. So yeah, atheists can be moral as well.

reply to post by kinglizard

I'll disagree with you. There is at least one person on here that doesn't care for atheists as a group, having claimed that we're all ugly, heroin-addicted, idiots with IQs below 85. I'm sure you're aware of who this individual is.

Of course, I get along with theists on this forum. Some who I've disagreed with even. Humans are humans, and at least one person on here is claiming that atheists don't deserve the same level of treatment.

And I respect your courtesy and kindness and level-headedness in discussion.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Actually, the question WAS about respect. Kailassa's question and my question.
Not about love.

we love you Ben, Religious peoples would like for all to respect eachother thru love... so that we may begin to talk about cool esoteric mysteries right here on ATS.

So, you think of us as children?

honestly you may not want to know... this was a generalization coming from my group, actually someone brought it to my attention.

Interesting. That almost indicates a lack of respect,

quite the opposite, Atheists only need or did not have better guidance in my opinion...

edit on 12/18/2010 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   

(Atheists: We're people, just like you)
no they are anglophone speaking people who we used to be like when we were young adults growing up in a free society,

Anglophone:
n. - An English-speaking person, especially one in a country where two or more languages are spoken.
- (Linguistics / Languages) a person who speaks English, esp a native speaker
adj - (Linguistics / Languages) speaking English

"anglophone speaking people" - That's such attrocious grammar I can only guess you mean English speaking.

Is that what you mean?
Do you believe atheists are all English speakers?

Unfortunately even in a free society there still must be some morals and rules.

Laws are not dependant on religion, nor do they come from god.
Laws are made to further the interests of society, or the interests of the law-makers, depending on who has the most power.

Neither are morals dependant on religion or a belief in god. I've known moral atheists, and immoral religious folk.
True morality is based on empathy. You will work to cause happiness rather than pain if you feel a connection to other people. This bond is not religion specific, but can be found amongst all groups.

Of course some people lack this connection and have high morals anyway, because they see that by their behaviour they can make the world a better of worse place, and choose to make it a better one.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   

My respect for someone isn't based whatsoever on what they believe about a god.

My respect for you has just increased. And I had loads before.........

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join