It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terrence Malick's The Tree of Life. Haunting Visions of "What's to Come"???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Terrence Malick is known for taking his time when making a movie. This one was long overdue and I'm sure will worth the wait...

But this is not the point.

Watch the trailer. Pay particular attention to the first few shots, and the voice over.
Completely Dreamy, Creepy....and maybe a theory of what is to come???

It seems that behind that boy's coming of age story there's a planetary coming of age story!

Just thought I'd share!
edit on 17-12-2010 by IAMSEEKER because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
That looks pretty interesting.

Thanks for sharing.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
" Someday we'll fall down and wait, and we'll understand it all. All things."

"Guide us to the end of time"

"Unless you love, your life will flash by"

powerful for a trailer...

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Looks great! I always enjoy a movie with Mr. Penn in it. I hope its very psychological.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Looks like ALOT of room for interpretation is left to understand what the movie is about.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

...totally...and the reason I brought it here is that nowhere in the publicity surrounding the movie does it speak of a New/age - End of the World premise.

Because I think it is not ABOUT that, but about the people and how they would go thru it.

The images of meteorite hitting the earth, and the sun exploding are so different from the rest of what the movie looks to be about...

Can't wait!

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
1:19 - OMG - Its Nibiru!!

Just what you all wanted to hear I'm sure.

Well, my 2 cents is that this will be a very good film, looking forward to it.

May generate the same feelings and skepticism as the film The Fountain.

The message will be heard only by those who are ready. To the rest, it will seem like dribble.

Hopefully though, many will hear.

-G

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMSEEKER

Looks like my kind of movie...

Can't tell much from the trailer, except maybe the man looses his sweet, enlightened parents early on, but carry their wisdoms that wrestle with what may have become a sad reality.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Gradius Maximus

A TREE ODYSSEY: During his talk on 2001: A Space Odyssey, Douglas Trumbull let slip a tantalizing tidbit about Terrence Malick’s mysterious The Tree of Life, long in the works. The film is a family drama starring Sean Penn and Brad Pitt. Trumbull has been involved with the film. He said it’s as much of an “ultimate trip” as 2001 is: “It will probably be one of the films with the closest feeling to 2001, since 2001.”

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Love, love, love Terrence Malick. I just re-watched the Thin Red Line and Days of Heaven last week. So looking forward to this movie. Thanks for posting!

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by IAMSEEKER
" Someday we'll fall down and wait, and we'll understand it all. All things."

"Guide us to the end of time"

"Unless you love, your life will flash by"

powerful for a trailer...

That's what I thought...fitting

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Movie description from yahoo:

"In a mystical world of folklore, several individuals embrace in a race to find the Tree of Life, said to give immortality, fertility, and other supernatural powers."

Huge Malick fan. Can't wait.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Sorry to bump an old thread but I cant believe no one mentioned a scene from that clip: Guys on a truck spraying kids with some sort of gas!!

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Versalife

Probably DDT for mosquitos. It was a different time and people were more trusting of chemicals. You can find actual footage of this sort of thing if you search for it.

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Actually let's bump this thread a little, movie coming out on May 27, 2011 - We'll have more to talk about !

posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Looks very interesting. I also liked "Mr Nobody" released a couple years ago.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by DJM8507

Thanks so much for sharing. I didn't know about this movie and it really was a strong influence. Beautiful and meaningful. Great.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I just saw this trailer today, Looks rather interesting.

The impressionistic story of a Texas family in the 1950s. The film follows the life journey of the eldest son, Jack, through the innocence of childhood to his disillusioned adult years as he tries to reconcile a complicated relationship with his father (Brad Pitt). Jack (played as an adult by Sean Penn) finds himself a lost soul in the modern world, seeking answers to the origins and meaning of life while questioning the existence of faith
www.imdb.com...

Considering that Malick taught philosophy at MIT and was an honor graduate of philosophy at Harvard, it seems it will be deep seeded in metaphores and faith. I just like films with great visualizations of space.

It also won the Palme d'Or, the highest award at the Cannes Film Festival this year.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I just now tried to watch the OP video and it says it's no longer available, due to copywrite infringement.
edit on 11-9-2011 by simone50m because: this feature effs my spelling up its not me.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by simone50m

its still on Youtube

top topics

<<   2 >>

join