It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Self-Healing Autonomous Material Comes to Life/Roswell Crash Site Debris/Extraordinary Metal Similar

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Researchers have created a material that may be able to not only sense damage but to even heal it, mimicking the ability of biological systems such as bone to sense the presence of damage, halt its progression, and regenerate itself. The material system is capable of increasing the toughness of a specimen by 11 times. After toughening the specimen, the crack can be closed using the shape-memory effect to recover an unprecedented 96% of the object's original strength. In fact, after the crack is closed, the new material is nearly five times as tough as the original specimen".

Newswise — You've seen it in movies: the human-like, robot assassin quickly regenerates its structure after being damaged beyond recognition. This "Terminator" scenario is becoming less far-fetched as recent advances in structural health monitoring systems have led to a variety of ways to identify damage to a structural system. Now, in the Journal of Applied Physics, researchers at Arizona State University have created a material that may be able to not only sense damage in structural materials, such as cracking in a fiber-reinforced composite, but to even heal it. The aim of developing "autonomous adaptive structures" is to mimic the ability of biological systems such as bone to sense the presence of damage, halt its progression, and regenerate itself. The novel autonomous material developed by Henry Sodano and colleagues uses "shape-memory" polymers with an embedded fiber-optic network that functions as both the damage detection sensor and thermal stimulus delivery system to produce a response that mimics the advanced sensory and healing traits shown in biological systems. An infrared laser transmits light through the fiber-optic system to locally heat the material, stimulating the toughening and healing mechanisms.

The material system is capable of increasing the toughness of a specimen by 11 times. After toughening the specimen, the crack can be closed using the shape-memory effect to recover an unprecedented 96 percent of the object's original strength. In fact, after the crack is closed, the new material is nearly five times as tough as the original specimen, even though it has been strained past its original failure strain point by a factor of four. The material and healing process can be applied while the structure is in operation, which has not been possible with existing healing techniques.

The article, "Autonomous Materials with Controlled Toughening and Healing" by Michael Garcia, Yirong Lin, and Henry Angelo Sodano appears in the Journal of Applied Physics. See: link.aip.org...

Journalists may request a free PDF of this article by contacting[email protected]

NOTE: An image is available for journalists. Please contact [email protected] CAPTION: Thermal image of a metal test specimen undergoing the photo-thermal heating method.

This is some discovery, they was supposed to be material an extraordinary metal that was found among the debris that came from the supposed UFO that crashed in Roswell, New Mexico in July of 1947--It was so thin, you could bend it and it would spring back into its original shape, but so touch that a bullet couldn't be fired through it. Now these scientists are close to making the same or close too the same supposed Roswell metal themselves!Extraordinary times we are living in i feel.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
"Close"? How is such 'closeness' measured I'd like to know...

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Wow with all this new stuff being discovered, I guess some kind of disclosure aint far.
Awesome find!

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
IMAGINE!!!!!!! WE CAN REGENERATE NEW SET OF TEETH!!!!!!!! BYE BYE FAKE IMPLANTS!!!!!

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
There's a similar thread going on here:

New Self-Healing Materials Detect When They're Damaged and Fix Themselves
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Continuing to post in this thread because it appears to be the first one posted of the two .
In any case fascinating stuff, and I am extremely interested in this technology . This could make the Trojan S armour suit (a suit built by a crazy canadian dude) a one time purchase product if it could be applied to it !
I wait with bated breath to see how this tech gets taken up by the military and so on. If only because I want to know what they could hit me with if it came to revolution.

top topics

join