It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sexist Female Oppression? Cleavage In The Workplace

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
LINK

Last week, a survey commissioned by Dragons’ Den entrepreneur Peter Jones claimed that women who display too much cleavage at work could end up sabotaging their careers.

The survey of 3,000 managers found that almost half of bosses had overlooked a woman for promotion if she had regularly worn low-cut tops to attract attention.

Sexist - or just common sense? Here, four writers argue whether it’s ever acceptable to parade plunging necklines

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

Several authors go on to discuss the topic.

Personally, here is how I feel. Being asked to cover up my cleavage, when the office does not require uniforms, is oppressive, and a conspiracy against women. Women have breasts. Some women, like me, have rather large breasts. I love my breasts, they are a part of me I refuse to hide them. Many of my shirts are V cut, because I enjoy showcasing my best assetts, and I would hope that my work would be what people judge, not my breasts.

So, in your experience, as employees, employers, coworkers, men and women, what do you think? Should women be allowed to show cleavage in the workplace? Is asking a female to not show cleavage oppressive, or sexist?

I find it disgusting that some bosses overlook some females just because they show cleavage. I think that reflects the perversion of thought in the boss's own mind, personally.

People need to get over cleavage already! ALL women have breasts, (well, most do), and it should be MY choice how I want to dress or display my cleavage.

Men must be very frightnened of the power of the breast if they are passing cleavage minded woemn over for promotions, simply due to cleavage baring!!

Thoughts?

+36 more 
posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
Personally, here is how I feel. Being asked to cover up my cleavage, when the office does not require uniforms, is oppressive

Thoughts?

I'm all against that kind of oppression.

edit on 16-12-2010 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I'm real sorry to have to be this blunt, but if you had a very very very nice picture in your office and everyone who came by your office told you how nice the picture was, would you offer it up to somebody else . . .

Breasts rule the office . . . sorry . . . I understand that's very sexist and breaks all the rules, but despite all the laws, political correctness and vanilla-sanitized socially acceptability that's become the norm, a nice pair of ta-tas will always be a focal point.

Not sayin' that's a good thing . . . or a bad thing . . . but in a still-male-dominated world, that's the way it is.

+100 more 
posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
There is no reason for a woman to be showing off her breasts in the workplace, unless she is a stripper. Men don't generally wear shirts to show off their pecs; neither should women show off their breasts.
edit on 16-12-2010 by InvisibleAlbatross because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I'd have to view it myself to give an honest opinion.

"Too much" is a bit subjective.

If an arbiter is required to view the acreage and make a non-biased opinion, I'm right here.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by GoalPoster

And it is the females choice to show cleavage, as it is the males choice to show ill restraint when confronted with said cleavage.

Just becasue the business appears male dominated does not mean us women need to take this kind of oppression.

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
That's weird because I would have thought it was just the opposite.
Wouldn't men want to have some eye candy around? It's still sexist I guess, but I would promote the woman with big breasts instead of a flat chested woman given they have the same qualifications.

EDIT: To make sure that the OP is not spreading false information, I think we need to see a upper body picture to verify the claim of "rather large breasts".
edit on 12/16/2010 by WhatTheory because: (no reason given)

+66 more 
posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Wear what you will, be aware there are consequences be they good/bad/or neutral.

*My opinion is that plunging necklines, mini skirts, and bare bellies do NOT belong at work unless that is typical attire for that work environment (ie. Hooters)

link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross
There is no reason for a woman to showing off her breasts in the workplace, unless she is a stripper. Men don't generally wear shirts to show off their pecs; neither should women show off their breasts.
Who determines what "showing off the breats" means? Two inches of cleavage crack? Half an inch?

Many of my dress blouses show cleavage. I don't care what someone else thinks of my cleavage, if it bothers you (in general) look elsewhere.

link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross
There is no reason for a woman to showing off her breasts in the workplace, unless she is a stripper. Men don't generally wear shirts to show off their pecs; neither should women show off their breasts.
Who determines what "showing off the breats" means? Two inches of cleavage crack? Half an inch?

Many of my dress blouses show cleavage. I don't care what someone else thinks of my cleavage, if it bothers you (in general) look elsewhere.

+16 more 
posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
What if men started to wear tight trousers and started showing off their VPL, i'm pretty sure this will cause alot of offence, just because you have it you shouldn't have to flaunt it.

I just believe that when you are at work, you're there to work, not show off your bits.

+43 more 
posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
One of our clients is a manager at a public utility, she's a mom, but she's smokin' hot. She always wears sexy outfits and has an amazing figure.

To be honest, it's a total distraction, and I feel it's unprofessional. That would be like some Tall-Dark-and-Handsome man walking into an office full of females, and he's wearing some really suave/dapper outfit - productivity in the office drops fast.

Don't get me wrong, my primeval male eyes like it, but my modern inner professional doesn't.

edit on 16-12-2010 by harrytuttle because: (no reason given)

link   
As a woman with fairly large cleavage, Its very hard to cover the girls up, unless you bind your self. I think it is sexist we can't help our breast size, so why should we be condemned because our genetics make us a little top heavy.

I have a friend who is a DDD (was a G) and the only way she can cover them up is wearing baggy clothing and that's just unprofessional.

+17 more 
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Some women, like me, have rather large breasts.

Star for you..!

I love my breasts

Flag as well..!

On topic:

Not only is it wrong to overlook an employee for a physical attribute, if management was smart they would maximize their assets:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/401df80bca70.jpg[/atsimg]

Great topic...

+40 more 
posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
It is a question of appropriateness for the situation.

Men in most offices are required to wear trousers and a shirt. where as women can get away with wearing casual clothes.

Would you be offended if I turned into work with low slung jeans showing off my butt cleavage???

the requirement for men to dress a certain way by business when on business time, is oppressive to men.

I understand you point blah blah blah, oppresive to women, blah why shouldn't they be aloowed to show off what god has given them, blah blah, feeling of comfort with ones sexuality etc etc.

It's a place of business. end of.

Have respect for other people that may feel intimidated by this, other, maybe older women etc. older men. Younger men, whom feel it inappropriate to deal with you on a business level, as their baser desire take hold when they try to talk to you about last months accounts or whatever.

What it comes down to, speaking as a company owner and an employer that first impressions count. If I had a woman come to the office, with a, now let me be straight on this, revealing attire, that one would wear to a nightclub (I have seen this). that would say to me, on first impression, that this is all she has to offer, and is not showing the due respect to her new employer. And now matter how much she would prove it, or be good at her job. First impressions stick.

By the way just to be clear, I would apply the same standard to male employees also. Should any arrive inappropriately dressed. Which I have also seen. They get the same treatment.

Hows that for equal rights. Respectfulness for all.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
Wear what you will, be aware there are consequences be they good/bad/or neutral.

*My opinion is that plunging necklines, mini skirts, and bare bellies do NOT belong at work unless that is typical attire for that work environment (ie. Hooters)

I can agree with cover your belly, skirts to knee area, but one can show cleavage without a plunging neckline.

And there are consequences to everything we do. I think it would best to allow women to dress as they see fit, and face the consequences (prudes and perverts judging on basis of cleavage for job promotions). If some jerk is going to pass me over for a promotion, I doubt my cleavage was the real reason. It imo, boils down to a lack of control from the boss.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

The person doing the hiring determines this. If he or she feels you are inappropriately dressed, that's it. Why would anyone need to show off their body while at work?

+55 more 
posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I do not think I would like to see much of your cleavage OP.

Sorry but there has to be a line.

There are a lot of ugly women in the office these days and they should not be parading round grossing men out. Would you like it if an ugly guy walked around with his penis out.

Plus women cry harassment if a guy was to stare at her breasts all day instead of work.

Women, you sew your own fate. In fact you are rather like the Muslims. You complain about everything and want the rules changed.

Personally, if a women has half her breasts hanging out, its there for ME to look at....ALL DAMN DAY.

Unless the woman is ugly.

+20 more 
posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
If some jerk is going to pass me over for a promotion, I doubt my cleavage was the real reason. It imo, boils down to a lack of control from the boss.

If one's dress attire is not appropriate for the work environment, then (IMO) it shows lack of understanding about the image the company is trying to cultivate and may indeed make one question whether the employee has the judgment needed/necessary for promotion. Again, it's one's choice how one dresses, but if it's outside the bounds of the image of the company, then one should not be surprised that the consequences are as they are... I just don't see the oppression angle...

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Xiamara

As a woman with fairly large cleavage, Its very hard to cover the girls up,

Star for you too!

I think it is sexist we can't help our breast size, so why should we be condemned because our genetics make us a little top heavy.

*salivates*

I have a friend who is a DDD (was a G) and the only way she can cover them up is wearing baggy clothing and that's just unprofessional.

Agreed then. You changed my mind. Ladies, keep those tops tight and professional!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/33d40b1c6afe.jpg[/atsimg]

edit on 16-12-2010 by harrytuttle because: (no reason given)

<<   2  3  4 >>

join