It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Day Niagara Falls Ran Dry (photo)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   

It's taken 41 years, but a previously unseen set of photos of the mighty Niagara Falls reduced to nothing more than a barren cliff-top have finally surfaced. The stark images reveal North America's iconic - and most powerful - waterfall to be almost as dry as a desert. In June 1969, U.S. engineers diverted the flow of the Niagara River away from the American side of the falls for several months. Scroll down for video Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

See the link for more great pictures: FULL STORY

I really just felt the need to share this. When man really wants to do something and puts his mind to it....What can we really do now with some ingenuity and perseverance?
edit on 16-12-2010 by onehuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
God I would LOVE to go rock and treasure hunting when it is dry like that!!! I would get absolutely lost in my own little world for as long as they would let me...

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I read about this recently too. The mind boggles

I live nearby the falls too so I've seen that power up-close-and-personal!

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by onehuman

A lot of people don't know about this, but there was a huge ding-dong about hydro at the falls in the past. I remember watching a program about it, think it was National Geographic, about how this American guy planned to basically divert the majority of the falls into hydro-electricity!

Eventually, both Governments decided it was a good thing
So nowadays, we don't see the true power of the falls, as water is directed before it can reach the falls itself

en.wikipedia.org...

I hope I can find the video link, it was such an eye opener! I Love Niagara!

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Even diverted it's still breathtakingly powerful!

Have you ever gone at the end of winter/beginning of spring when the massive ice chunks are flying off of them?

edit on 16-12-2010 by MzMorbid because: MASSIVE i tell you!

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   

How about the day Niagara Falls froze over! Completely! You don't think I have a photo?....

I would never tease you or anyone on ATS, without providing the photo.... ENJOY

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c18a11733b13.jpg[/atsimg]

BTW - That was taken in 1911

edit on 16-12-2010 by TortoiseKweek because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by TortoiseKweek

Yes, I recall hearing about this as well.

It is amazing that we can manage such a feat, but sad that we go to such extremes for profit. Hydro electricity is cleaner than natural gas, but is very expensive.

The pictures and video from the OP are awesome. I can't believe I never heard of the final outcome until now.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by MzMorbid

Absolutely! Now imagine how much more a spectacle it would be if we didn't suck up the flow, and just let it run as nature provided

BTW - You ever been on the maid of the mist? Whoaa !! It's awesome!

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by MzMorbid
Even diverted it's still breathtakingly powerful!

Have you ever gone at the end of winter/beginning of spring when the massive ice chunks are flying off of them?

edit on 16-12-2010 by MzMorbid because: MASSIVE i tell you!

It is beautiful indeed. I was there in late March? I know they didnt have the ferry open yet. Missed it by a few days. The wife was there about a month ago and got some great shots. I'd post pictures, but they never seem to do it justice anymore then pictures of the Grand Canyon do. You really have to actually See it to understand the pictures if that made sense.

I just like these photos because for one, I have been there and seen it to understand it, and I really just love the historical history Feel of it. A moment captured in time.

One a sadder note which I feel I must mention.... to bad the oil spill that is Still leaking there doesnt get any media play either... sigh: Dont need to ask me for link, its pretty easy to find

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by TortoiseKweek

How about the day Niagara Falls froze over! Completely! You don't think I have a photo?....

I would never tease you or anyone on ATS, without providing the photo.... ENJOY

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c18a11733b13.jpg[/atsimg]

THAT PHOTO ROCKS!!!!
great post along with the rest of what you have had to say!

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   

I have quite a few photos from the Maid of the Mist. Would you like me to post?

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by TortoiseKweek

I have quite a few photos from the Maid of the Mist. Would you like me to post?

That would be great, I have some pretty good shots myself. lol We had a great room. I like it when they light them up at night too. Little history there as well with the prince.... Im sure you know what Im talking about! Rock the photo shoot my friend! It is just a fun thread anyway.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   

You ever seen the scene with Matthew Perry at the end of 9 &1-2 yards, dancing on that balcony in a Canadian hotel, and Niagara falls in the background? Awesome stuff! Might take me some time to find and load the pics on ATS, but I will, so keep tuned

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Just realised I have to resize them to fit here on ATS, ... little more time please

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I have been on the Maid! It's so fun!! Loud too, haha...

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Damn it, can't find the Maid of the Mist photos! Not happy at all.... If I find them, I will DEF post on this thread

Found em
Will post soon

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/18655f6ae010.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/dcf8cec5ba37.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2c7e8cda10c7.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c1e20bce4084.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e702c0569d00.jpg[/atsimg]

Enjoy

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Damn now I feel a bit guilty as its in the backyard here and we never go there because of the condition Niagara Falls city is in. My father was a firefighter for the city for 20 yrs I will have to see if I can dig up some pictures for your thread, they used to have to train for the situation of someone getting caught in the rapids and how to rescue them. He had a lot of cool shots of the ladder truck extended over the falls and such. And to see the true beauty of the falls you must be on the Canadian side thats were all the good views are at!!!

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by jaynkeel
And to see the true beauty of the falls you must be on the Canadian side thats were all the good views are at!!!

Have you ever been this side of the falls? It's amazing! Not only the view, but the atmosphere is just mind blowing in Summer!
I'm not one to punt a destination here on ATS, it might be against the rules, BUT I will encourage ALL those who have never been to Niagara Falls - It's a must in life! In every aspect, it's a must

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Niagara Falls makes me feel like a tiny, feeble and insignificant little transient in the thundering power no-one can ignore when within a mile of the place.

It's magnificent.

Every time I visit (and that's quite a few), the experience leaves me breathless and not a little intimidated by the sheer power of the place.

Thanks for that old vid from 1969, which reminded me of my dad's home movies and the sepia photograph from 1911, which reminded me of my great grandfather's attempts. Great topic and, yes, it's a wonder humans were capable of taming at least a portion of that giant.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Masqua - Niagara is truly a wonder of this planet! I too am humbled by it's shear power. Respect is all I give for this wonderful and natural Earthly phenomenon!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join