It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's Called WINTER, Folks, Not An Ice Age

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I think more people tend to imagine that its colder because it was warmer last year at this time.
But, that's my region. (pittsburgh area)

I feel that it is colder here than I can remember in early December.
I've been burning through more firewood than normal.

So where I usually go through 2-3 cords of wood by now, I've been through 5.
Last year and the year before I didn't need this much firewood.

Personally, I know it's colder here than 'normal'.
Would I call it an 'Ice Age'...? No.

Not until I see temperatures hover for years.
Until then...it's just winter.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
reply to post by Sahabi

It IS ATS! Paranoia runs rampant around these parts, and we all have a duty to try and keep it to a minimum. Hopefully this thread will help.

Yes...the lady clearly working for HAARP is telling us nothing to see here

-skeptical-

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
s&f because the thread title made me laugh...

2nd

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
S+F, having lived through the blizzard of '78 in NE Ohio, it'll take a lot more snow than we've had before we declare an "ice age".

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

LOL, OP - it's not Winter ... It's still Fall!

www.helium.com...

There is more than a little evidence that this may well be the trend.

climaterealists.com...

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Aren't we already in an ice age?
I'm being serious.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by GirlGenius

LOL, OP - it's not Winter ... It's still Fall!

www.helium.com...

There is more than a little evidence that this may well be the trend.

climaterealists.com...

Evidence of what trend, the trend of climate change? The climate tends to change four times a year, its called winter, spring summer and fall.

It may not technically be winter by man made calander standards, but whats a couple of calander days? I think everyone gets the drift.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Coldest SUMMER on record in Norway, snow in Southern Brazil (southern hemisphere is going into its summer now), the Brits don't normally get their snow until after Christmas, probably not going into an ice age, but, the weather is screwing around

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by oggleboggle47
Also, I'm only twenty, and I've seen worse winters than this one

Yes, but have you seen worse Falls? Because it is Fall, not Winter. ROFL at all the posters saying this Winter isn't so bad.

Autumn ... it's the new Winter.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Good to see you recite the seasons because you seemed to be confused in the OP.

Quick question - what season is it currently?

*Crickets*

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by GirlGenius

This is winter season. It OFFICIALLY begins, by calandar, in five days. By looking out the window, it has already begun.

What is your point? A battle of semantics?

The point which you seem to miss, is that already we are seeing people crying ICE AGE when it is merely WINTER weather.

But continue with the semantics, by all means.

MOST of the posters on this thread understood what I meant, and I know you do too.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Since when can Fall not involve snow or cold?? ALL throughout my life Ive experienced snow and bitterly cold temps in the fall.. snow on thanksgiving. Anyone over 10 years old who has paid attention to the world around them should by now remember this.

No snow, ice or extreme temps in fall?? Must be a new rule no one told me about.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
The thing is that the cold weather we have been having is a result of the arctic warming up. As the arctic warms the weather patterns have changed ,instead of the winds blowing west to east we now have winds blowing north to south bringing more snow south than usual. This new weather pattern is permanent and we have no idea what the end result of this new shift in weather patterns on a global scale. This pattern of winds blowing north to south has happened only 3 times in the last 160years and the last one(number 3) was last year and scientists now think that the pattern is here to stay. I always believed in the Gaia theory and this change in weather is making me nervous. Humans have given this planet a fever now Gaia wants to cool down and how quickly she cools down is anyones guess could be 100yrs maybe 200 but just as plausible that it could happen within lets say 15 years(we have no data).. humans be damned.
edit on 16/12/2010 by loner007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   

I posted two good links for you in my previous post. Why don't you read them?

In that article, Abdussamatov explained: "The long-term increase in solar irradiance is heating both Earth and Mars." The scientist, accurate in past predictions, has recently pronounced his belief that Earth will enter a "little Ice Age: as early as 2014 and lasting as long as two centuries. The last one occurred between 1650 and 1850 and accounted for many crop failures, outbreaks of famines and mass migrations.

The article from Helium discussed the reasons for Abdussamatov's predictions.

And from Climate Realists:

"I think it is even conceivable that the Arctic ice spreads significantly in the years to come," said Globig. The impact of solar activity on climate has been criminally underestimated for a long time.

This is an interesting phenomenon that deserves serious discussion, not a dismissive and erroneous thread title.
edit on 16-12-2010 by GirlGenius because: Links are in my previous post.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by GirlGenius

I did read them.

The title is not erroneous and dismissive. You are latching onto the title to promote global warming or climate change, and this thread is not about that topic, it is about normal weather patters that have happened for the past forty plus years, that people are claiming is an ice age.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by loner007
The thing is that the cold weather we have been having is a result of the arctic warming up.

Wasn't that around +3 degrees?
Didn't they prove that when all the airplanes stopped traffic on 9/11 that the average temperature rose?
In the big US cities, of course...
I thought it was (+)2-3 degrees?
So, we DO cause enough pollution to affect heat and cold patterns...
Then if it was enough after all these years, plus industry and crack oil spills for decades....
Do you think we actually altered the natural course of climactic change on Earth?
Or at least sped up the process...?

As the arctic warms the weather patterns have changed ,instead of the winds blowing west to east we now have winds blowing north to south bringing more snow south than usual. This new weather pattern is permanent and we have no idea what the end result of this new shift in weather patterns on a global scale. This pattern of winds blowing north to south has happened only 3 times in the last 160years and the last one(number 3) was last year and scientists now think that the pattern is here to stay.

Sounds good enough to start a thread on it.

Anyways, good thinking...

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
**SIGH**

OKay.. in crayon : yeah, no joke.. we have man made climate change. Okay. Got that. Agree with that. However, this insane chicken little fearmongering damned DAY AFTER TOMORROW insane threads repeatedly.. every time the normal patterns do their thing, it gets cold, it gets warm, it rains, it snows, etc.. is getting OLD.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
reply to post by Sahabi

It IS ATS! Paranoia runs rampant around these parts, and we all have a duty to try and keep it to a minimum. Hopefully this thread will help.

My both thumbs for this thread. And I wouldn't be pretty worried even if it would be mini ice age, we see those in within every century or two. Personally I think that this cold period has lot to do with absence of sunspots. It is our sun just taking a breath.

-v

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
My god, snow and ice in winter well ill be damned! If its warm in summer next year then I'm outta here!

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I am older than the OP.
I can remember worse weather, as in more snow.
And I can remember warmer weather.

What I don't remember is the wild swings of temperatures.
What made this storm so god-awful is it started as rain at 45 degrees and ended with snow and wind and 10 degrees twenty-four hours later.

BTW, it is NOT WINTER

Not for another several days!!!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join