It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the story of Santa Claus and Rudolph based on a UFO sighting

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Think about it. The story of Santa and his flying sleigh are VERY old. What could have started that? Not a airplane, they were not around then. When you add Rudolph's shiny red nose, it seems to me that it could easily be something that we hear sighted all the time. Something of a odd shape flying in strange paterns with a some kind of light (Red)

Like I said, think about it. It makes a lot of sense.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by amc621
Think about it. The story of Santa and his flying sleigh are VERY old. What could have started that? Not a airplane, they were not around then. When you add Rudolph's shiny red nose, it seems to me that it could easily be something that we hear sighted all the time. Something of a odd shape flying in strange paterns with a some kind of light (Red)

Like I said, think about it. It makes a lot of sense.

It makes sense, if you look at it in a complete mythological/historical vacuum but makes far less sense when exploring the history of the figure. Without going into the entire history of the myth, the particular part about Santa and his flying reindeer was adopted from Germanic paganism. At Yule, it was believed Odin (who resembles the Old World Santa Clause; compared Odin to Father Christmas) lead a hunting party on his flying eight-legged horse (one leg per Santa's original eight reindeer). Children would leave out boots filled with carrots and hay to feed the horse while Odin hunted; in exchange, Santa left gifts of candy.

Rudolph was added much latter to the tradition; first introduced in 1939 by the retailer Montgomery Ward in a coloring book given away to children at Christmas time.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I think the Aliens were here before Santa. But even so... Would they admit seeing him?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3ea7ff3ad9ea.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Think about it. The story of Santa and his flying sleigh are VERY old. What could have started that?

Rudolph is from a song written by cowboy actor/singer Gene Autry.

Santa, on the other hand, is this:

The History of Santa Claus

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blue Shift

Think about it. The story of Santa and his flying sleigh are VERY old. What could have started that?

Rudolph is from a song written by cowboy actor/singer Gene Autry.

Santa, on the other hand, is this:

The History of Santa Claus

Well either one could be generated from a Alien sighting. I just think it's too coincindental.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Wants to say somefink?

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer is actually a marketing gimmick used by Montgomery Wards (store) when it was introduced. It was a story, coloring book, as I recall, that then caught on. I'll dig up a link and edit with more info...

EDIT: Here you go. Wikipedia, but appears to be accurate.

Robert L. May created Rudolph in 1939 as an assignment for Montgomery Ward. The retailer had been buying and giving away coloring books for Christmas every year and it was decided that creating their own book would save money. May considered naming the reindeer "Rollo" and "Reginald" before deciding upon using the name "Rudolph".[3] In its first year of publication, 2.4 million copies of Rudolph's story were distributed by Montgomery Ward. The story is written as a poem in the meter of "'Twas the Night Before Christmas". The Red Nosed Reindeer is loved by millions and still selling copies.

Doh, I see someone already mentioned it... That's what I get for not reading all the posts.

edit on 16-12-2010 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Check this article out, just start at page 4 or read the whole thing.

www.miraclesandinspiration.com...

Or if you want to you could watch this free documentary:

Or read the book:

www.amazon.com...

To sum it up:
Basically it argues that entheogens created our religions.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
On a episode on the simpsons barney says "Is Santa E.T.", Homer replies "Yeahhh".

No one will take it seriously and thats the point, someone could expose secrets through a cartoon and no one will even begin to imagine it being true.

If your gonna do something, do it right. Thats exactly what the 'powers that be' acheived.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by jonnyc55
On a episode on the simpsons barney says "Is Santa E.T.", Homer replies "Yeahhh".

No one will take it seriously and thats the point, someone could expose secrets through a cartoon and no one will even begin to imagine it being true.

So, you're saying that Santa is as real as ET?

Well, then, we are in agreement, though I'm not sure what we're in agreement on.

Harte

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Yeah, it was mentioned already. Still does not disprove what I'm asking. Is it possible that Montgomery saw a UFO with a red light, and WALA he came up with Rudolph???? Seriously, Christmas and Santa Clause stories are in cold weather and snow.....Where in the world do you come up with FOG Christmas eve???? Especially with snow on the ground.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Harte

Was food for thought.

Chill.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by jonnyc55

Good food for though, my thought belly is full. I do see how Santa can be associated with aliens

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by amc621

If anyone sees Santa or his Elves, tell them to stop letting the reindeer sh** on my roof.
Mary X-mas everybody.
Peace on Earth
and throughout the Universe

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by amc621

Why are the elves depicted as little men in green?

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by amc621

Think about it. The story of Santa and his flying sleigh are VERY old. What could have started that? Not a airplane, they were not around then. When you add Rudolph's shiny red nose, it seems to me that it could easily be something that we hear sighted all the time. Something of a odd shape flying in strange paterns with a some kind of light (Red) Like I said, think about it. It makes a lot of sense.

The original eight reindeer The anonymously-published poem "A Visit from St. Nicholas" (also known as "The Night Before Christmas" or "Twas the Night Before Christmas") is largely credited for the contemporary Christmas lore, including the eight flying reindeer and their names. In the poem, Santa's transport is a "miniature sleigh, and eight tiny reindeer" and the reindeer are "more rapid than eagles." The poem does not describe them, nor their positions in the sleigh-team. From a misreading of this poem came the myth that the reindeer fly.[3]

Note that in the first instance the courses "came"; they did not fly. The metaphor of the eagles is urged to suggest speed. In the complex simile that follows, the image is one of leaves blown high by the wind when the are forced against an obstacle (such as the side of house); this is to give the impression that the swift moving reindeer "go vertical" when they approach the residence, moving with such speed that they "blow" to the rooftop. The metaphor of flying urges the reader past the problem of getting the reindeer to the housetop without implying actual flight. (Compare this with the roughly contemporary treatment of Santa's reindeer in L. Frank Baum's "The Life and Advantures of Santa Claus," in which the notion that reindeer fly is nowhere found.) Since the publication of the Livingstone/Moore poem, aided by the difficulty of the language of the simile, readers have found it easier to imagine flying reindeer than reindeer swiftly blown skyward.

wikipedia.com

I think perhaps a bit more research on this subject before you started a thread on it would have been more intelligent. But hey, what the heck right...Santa's reindeer were UFO's

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Thanks for making me a rival. Thought I can't imagine you have the intelligence to keep up with me.

Good luck with that though, who knows, if you read enough of what I write you might just learn something. I'm not holding my breath though.

Talk to you late D-bag

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by amc621

Talk to you late D-bag

Are you serious?

My Rivals These are the ATS members who often disagree with me, but challenge me to think harder and push myself to learn more in my quest to deny ignorance..

Santa says the naughty kids get a lump of coal.

Merry Christmas.

On topic, reindeer can't fly. UFO's can, but that is not where the story of Santa's flying reindeer came from.

edit on 16-12-2010 by Corruption Exposed because: reason being...

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Santa/Saturn/Satan. Saturn is also El/Osirius and the Eye of Horus or the top of the pryamid. If you google the pope in his saturn hat you will find lots of pics. Also, just before xmass you will find pics of saturn on yahoo, ads, and articles by NASA.

Is Ra El/Osiris/Saturn, Israel.

vigilantcitizen.com...
Occult Symbolism : Saturn Worship

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
HAHHAHAHAHHHAAAAAA! You can tell it's December, I'm sure at Easter you'll be wondering if the Easter Bunny came from Mars

top topics

<<   2 >>

join