It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fifa boss jokes about Gay visitors at 2022 World Cup in Qatar?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Our media reported that Fifa tycoon Sepp Blatter jokingly replied to queries on the safety of gay visitors in the staunchly Islamic Qatar in 2022.

In what could be described as "gallow's humor", Blatter intimated that gay visitors would have to refrain from sex during the football festival.
One would assume that adulterers and single heterosexuals should be equally chaste, or stay away.

After the rather unfunny gaffe, Blatter contradicted himself and said that he was sure that there would be "no discrimination".

Really? Who is he to assure that?

www.timeslive.co.za...
edit on 14-12-2010 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

I'm always up in arms about gay rights and LGBT issues, and yet all I can say is, "so what?"

He was acknowledging that Qatar has a strong homophobic presence. It wasn't a very funny joke, but it wasn't very offensive either. He immediately explained that intolerance wouldn't be tolerated. He did not contradict himself in the least.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
FIFA is a bunch of corrupt cronies, who are only concerned about lining their own pockets. All decent nations should leave FIFA and set up a new Global body for national football. These people dont deserve to be looking after the Worlds most popular sporting event. They have been proven to be corrupt and when the British media pulled them up on it, they decided that they would group together and punish England in the recent votes.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Which has anything to do with what precisely?

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Solasis

How can he assure there will be no discrimination?

Will he change their religion or government?

Perhaps gays may be on the forefront of such issues, but what about Christians or Hindus who want to share their faith?

Must they refrain from speaking about religion?

PS: The issue is not whether Qatar has a strong anti-gay presence (the US has a strong anti-gay presence). It's a matter of the law of the land, or not?

Why have such a festival in such a state?

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I'm sure this will be a huge problem. Aren't most soccer fans gay? I mean look at the sport they follow?

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman
reply to post by Solasis

How can he assure there will be no discrimination?

That's part of the thing. He didn't assure that there would be no discrimination. He said that fifa would not tolerate any discrimination. Your interpretive capabilities seem to be lacking

reply to post by Carseller4

I really have no idea how this perception of soccer as a sissy game developed. it's a game where people have to run around for 45 minutes at a time without a break; where they collide with each other violently in ways that aren't penalties (and others that are); and where covering your testicles with your hands for defense is a matter of course.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   

I'm sure this will be a huge problem. Aren't most soccer fans gay? I mean look at the sport they follow?

Since 2004..? Really..?

On topic:

As long as the Vuvuzela isn't allowed in the stadium, I don't care what goes on...and as Solasis stated it wasn't offensive, and he even threw in the intolerance will not be tolerated disclaimer.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Solasis

Well your interpretative capabilities seem to be very presumptive.

Blatter never gave any assurance whatsoever.

Any assurances on the matter should surely be given by Qatar.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Well now I'm really confused. You're the one saying that Blatter gave an assurance. Did you even read it?

Here's the line from the actual article.

Blatter swiftly went on to say that FIFA would not tolerate any form of discrimination

That's the part I'm talking about

and that he was sure that everyone would be able to attend and enjoy the World Cup in Qatar.

And I suppose that's the part you originally meant had an assurance. but he actually was saying that he was confident in the fact.

So, halfoldman, you are correct that he never gave an assurance. You are incorrect that he did give an assurance. You are completely incorrect about what I said to you.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solasis
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Which has anything to do with what precisely?

The Bunch of corrupt morons that is FIFA

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Solasis

Well that wishy-washy "assurance" is my exact bone of contention.
Yes Fifa (under the stewardship of Blatter) said that.
But that is my issue - does he have a right to say that?

OK, before we turn on each other needlessly, it remains unclear, who runs the show?
The press hardly clarify the issue.

If Blatter really means that he can assure non-discrimination (which I doubt, and I doubt he'll be around) then that means Fifa can usurp the legal system of an entire nation.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   

a right to say which? He was not promising anyone that there would be no discrimination! He was promising that fifa would not tolerate any discrimination, and then he said that he felt confident that because of that, no one would be at risk! Blatter made no assurance whatsoever.

Seriously take a moment to think before your next reply.
edit on 14-12-2010 by Solasis because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-12-2010 by Solasis because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Well he's not wrong.

It's not like they are just going to change the everyday homophobia that exists there for the sake of the World Cup.

Kind of a tasteless comment, but I don't really expect it to be a big issue. People who aren't welcome in certain places for silly reasons are usually aware of which places.

~Keeper
edit on 12/14/2010 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Solasis

OK, good and I'm glad you point this out.
He did however say that he was SURE:

Blatter swiftly went on to say that FIFA would not tolerate any form of discrimination and that he was sure that everyone would be able to attend and enjoy the World Cup in Qatar.

But technically you are right.
Perhaps it's strange to have a festival like that in a not-so-free country.
Let me say then: I think he should give assurances of safety to all fans!

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Currently it appears that anti-gay laws in Qatar fall under the "sodomy laws".
www.glapn.org...

Not sure whether that refers to a specific sex act or all gay contact, and whether it applies to lesbians.

CX

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I don't see what the fuss is about.

He recommended that fans don't engage in an activity that is illegal in Qatar, an offence punishable by fines or 5 years in prison.

What is so bad about that?

Was it because he laughed? Most of the room laughed before he cracked a smile.

Don't get me wrong, i think this guy is as corrupt as they come, but i can't see what he has siad wrong here.

Go to another country, respect their laws and customs. I thought that was common sense and common courtesy to learn?

CX.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   

I think you are mistaking soccer with American football. In soccer, players don't wear jockstraps. Now wearing jockstraps, that's so gay!

I agree with CX, that people should respect the beliefs of foreign countries when they go there.

edit on 14-12-2010 by imnessie because: no reason

edit on 14-12-2010 by imnessie because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

True and a valid opinion.
He didn't exactly phrase it like that however.

It seems more like Fifa wants its bread buttered on both sides.

CX

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman
reply to post by CX

True and a valid opinion.
He didn't exactly phrase it like that however.

"Then i would say then that they should refrain from any sexual activities".

Again, what is wrong with that? If you are gay, then should you not respct the countries wishes?

I just can't see it.

I'm sure there are many other customs that fans are going to have to become aware of, it just happens that the gay question was the one to come up first.

CX.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join