It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evolution is boring, What does it mean to you ?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

its called adapt and overcome. everything adapts. but its not an entire evolution into something else

now if chickens and dogs bread and changed into a chog, then you could see some real evolution

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic.Artifact

What evolution means to me is irrelevant, I'm not an evolutionary biologist and so my understanding can only go so far as evolution is concerned.

My understanding of Evolution is that Evolution is gradual genetic change, often in a specific population, over the course of generations.

Also, Evolution isn't a religion or a religious viewpoint. Evolution is based on evidence and anyone of any religion is free to believe in it providing they've decided to not take a silly creation story in an old dusty book as the absolute truth.

The implications of Evolution are many, it means that all life is connected, all life can be traced back to common ancestors as well as many traits and behaviors.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Everything that makes us "special" is easily traced to a larger frontal lobe. This allowed us to create more efficient groups to overcome our competition and eventually develop language. It is mainly because of language that we were able to create society and if you go with Julian Jayne's theory it is language that actually allowed us to become conscious.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by aliengenes

Originally posted by aliengenes
reply to post by Xcalibur254

well its because of the scientific fields that these bacteria and viruses have evolved. not by their own, we helped them, so that lil hypothesis is a fail

No, they evolve naturally. We can observe the evolution happening. Did you not read the links I posted in reply to your previous post? Speciation happens.

reply to post by traditionaldrummer

wolves didnt generate every species of dog on the planet...thats bullcrap and cannot be proven.

...they're the same species. We can actually prove that dogs and wolves are the exact same species.

where did man evolve from?

Humans evolved from hominid primates.

and wheres the missing link?

I already asked this: Which missing link?

dont say ape because it cannot be proved

Again, you're wrong. We can prove that humans are apes. Genetically we are most closely related to the chimpanzee and bonnobo.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull
Also, Evolution isn't a religion or a religious viewpoint. Evolution is based on evidence and anyone of any religion is free to believe in it providing they've decided to not take a silly creation story in an old dusty book as the absolute truth.

then answer me this... why are they 10X worse than some christian knocking on your door ?

they have chose to bring religious undertones into their debate yet it is so small compared to other fields of modern science, I mean a kid could come up with evolution and you could say sciences' train of thought has evolved since then.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   

A chicken and a dog cannot breed. They are different species. If they were able to produce offspring they would be infertile. We have bred different breeds that are incapable of producing fertile offspring with their initial species, but are capable of producing fertile offspring with this new breed. This constitutes a divergence of species.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Many animals use tools.

Now, I know how much you hate external sources, but I'm providing it anyway to verify my claim.

Here's a wikipedia article on animal tool use in nature.

This includes octopuses that use coconut shells for protection and jellyfish tentacles as weapons, elephants using bark to cover water holes so that they don't evaporate, vultures using a rock to crack the shells of ostrich eggs, and other birds using tools to catch insects.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic.Artifact
do animals invent and experiment ? cept maybe the monkey that we train to do so...

Sure they do. Ants invent and build anthills, birds invent nests, etc. etc. Though humans propel in this area, agreed. This is no more important or special than say, a cheetah being able to run at 60+mph. We, like other animals, have certain qualities that are superlative to others. It is inevitable in nature.

I believe animals are special also, I have been a dog owner all my life... in fact I have never been without a dog.

Certainly so. Especially dogs: they're a human creation!

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   

No, all this would do is actually disprove evolution and modern genetics.

This is actually quite typical, creationists say X would prove evolution to them when X would actually disprove evolution to the scientific community.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

thats all hypothetical, because no one was there to actually witness this so called evolution.

viruses and bacteria dont count, they're most likely alien species

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   

i dont believe either. but thats another story

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   

thats all hypothetical, because no one was there to actually witness this so called evolution.

No, I provided you with instances of observed speciation

Observed, as in by humans.

Go back to the first page and look at the links I provided you.

viruses and bacteria dont count, they're most likely alien species

Yet you have no evidence to support this claim...
edit on 14/12/10 by madnessinmysoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Evolution is boring, What does it mean to you ?,

is the topic of discussion.

Any further off-topic posts or posts directed towards a fellow member's character or person will result in a Warn and possible Post Ban.

enough is enough.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   

I mean a kid could come up with evolution and you could say sciences' train of thought has evolved since then.

Evolution has an awful lot of supporting evidence. Just the genetic evidence alone could singlehandedly prove Evolution however genetics is only one branch. There's also fossils, morphology, behavior, etc.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   

So, Dobzhansky and Pavlovsky didn't witness the speciation of Drosophila paulistorum in 1971? Or Mosquin witnessing the speciation of Epilobium angustifolium in 1967? I can keep going. Speciation has been observed. This is "macro-evolution." It amazes me that people can't accept the science of evolution, but have no problem making claims that only aliens evolve.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join