It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harvard Library's Gay Books Hit By The Pee Pee Bandit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
LINK TO PP BANDIT STORY

Approximately 40 books dealing with LGBT issues were vandalized with what appeared to be urine in Lamont Library on November 24, according to a report filed Friday by the library security staff to the Harvard University Police Department.

HUPD spokesman Steven G. Catalano wrote in an e-mail that the vandalized books' subject matters included lesbian and gay issues and same-sex marriage. Due to the nature of books, HUPD is currently investigating the incident as a bias crime.

"The HUPD has zero tolerance for any bias-related incidents or crimes," Catalano said.

"Harvard College will not tolerate acts of vandalism, especially those that appear to be motivated by hate or bias," Harvard College Dean Evelynn M. Hammonds wrote in an e-mail to The Crimson. "[As] a community, we will continue to affirm our shared values of dignity and respect for everyone in our community."

The article goes on to state an empty bottle was found near the books. And the books are ruined, and must be replaced.

When I read this, my first thought was, WHAT NO CAMERAS??

It also reminded me of this other recent story I heard about, the Fashionistas Tampon Bandit.

TAMPON BANDIT GAWKER

In both cases, someone is leaving behind disgusting parts of themselves, and these companies/college do not have security cameras already. Multimillion dollar comapnies, no security cameras.

What is wrong with people any more?

And could this all be a impetus to install surveillance cameras in our schools and workplaces?

In 2010 I assumed most places especially million dollar business and schools would already have them, esp Harvard, for the safety fo their students. Rape is still a huge problem on college campuses.

Thoughts?

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Regardless of the content of the books, I'm always a bit saddened to see someone do that to books.

People easily forget how centuries ago, hell even today in some places, that it was damn near impossible for the average person to obtain reading material of any kind. I feel humanity taking a step backwards every time someone mars/destroys a book.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

could this all be a impetus to install surveillance cameras in our schools and workplaces?

More likely a call to return to censorship.

See my vids for my opinion on censorship (links in sig).

...But if no cameras, how 'bout DNA analysis of the urine? Seems a bit shortsighted of the perp...

edit on 13/12/10 by soficrow because: to add

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
LOL! the pee pee bandit!

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I bet those books are pissed!

Edit: my above statement wasn't really as funny as all the icons after it made it seem to be.
edit on 13-12-2010 by mayabong because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
...But if no cameras, how 'bout DNA analysis of the urine? Seems a bit shortsighted of the perp...

Most people do not have their DNA on record...so thats fairly useless overall.

I think tater may not be far off the mark in regards to imposing more security in public areas, and I am not opposed to the idea. Sort of shocked that there isn't cams in there to begin with..you can get a decent security system for like less than 500$ covering multiple areas and on a time lapse cam with motion detection recording...

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

Actually i found the humor in it! LOL

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Oh great!

More censorship AND more supervision/monitoring/public cameras. ...How 'bout scanners too, just in case someone tries to sneak in any more pee pee bottles?

Good point about the DNA tho.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Most people do not have their DNA on record...so thats fairly useless overall.

I think tater may not be far off the mark in regards to imposing more security in public areas, and I am not opposed to the idea. Sort of shocked that there isn't cams in there to begin with..you can get a decent security system for like less than 500$ covering multiple areas and on a time lapse cam with motion detection recording...

Exactly my thoughts! When my taxes get here I am going to spend a nice little chunk on surveillance equipment myself, for the condo. We have too many renters and they bring with them the rental mentality.

I am wondering if the daggum cameras at WalMart, The Mall and Kroger are all functional or just for show.

I am under the assumption that most big businesses have cameras. I thought schools had them too, for the protection of the students. But even if the care is not the students, what about catching vandals?

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by mistafaz
Regardless of the content of the books, I'm always a bit saddened to see someone do that to books.

People easily forget how centuries ago, hell even today in some places, that it was damn near impossible for the average person to obtain reading material of any kind. I feel humanity taking a step backwards every time someone mars/destroys a book.
I am a bibliophile myself, as well as a budding author/writer, so this makes me sad too. I have a small collection of very old books I have accumulated from goodwill over the years. I would be crushed if someone peed on my books!

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
I am wondering if the daggum cameras at WalMart, The Mall and Kroger are all functional or just for show.

I am under the assumption that most big businesses have cameras. I thought schools had them too, for the protection of the students. But even if the care is not the students, what about catching vandals?

Most of those mom and pop shops run on a time lapse camera..usually a 48 hour rotation. its ultimately ignored unless there is a crime that happened, in which case, of course...its reviewed if its within the timeframe.

Time lapse recording devices are becoming cheaper and more powerful, some some places are now using up to a week of video footage (much much longer if its on time lapse mode..aka a pic every second or two)...basically if nothing happens, it auto records over the old footage.

I think such cameras need to be everywhere, and open to all for review during crimes (this works great in capturing both criminals, and corrupt cops)

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Oh great!

More censorship AND more supervision/monitoring/public cameras. ...How 'bout scanners too, just in case someone tries to sneak in any more pee pee bottles?

censorship? how?
supervision? no

monitoring? not really unless you committed a crime, in which case, the footage will be pulled and ya, you will be found out.
I am a big fan of cameras in public, so long as its accessable to the greater public in cases of reported crimes. not streaming on the net or anything, and no, your wife shouldn't be able to access it to see if your meeting that other woman behind the library...unless there was a crime at the same time, in which case, that footage should become public domain.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

My thoughts are this is one minor incident in a world of billions of people.

Priorities.

Was it a slow news day, or what?

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
The bigger problems always start with the burning and or defacing of literature.

Although I'm sure this is just a stupid prank of some sorts, misdemeanor vandalism, it's still sad to see such things go on at Harvard of all places.

I would agree that perhaps some increased surveillance would be necessary considering the circumstances. Although I think it's silly to need cameras in a library.
~Keeper
edit on 12/13/2010 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Oh great!

censorship? how?

Vigilante censorship - people who deface or otherwise 'harm' books are practicing censorship.

NOTE: to tothetenthpower - vigilante censorship happens all the time, and has been going on for decades. ..."Good" Christians go into public libraries with x-acto blades and cut out "offensive" pages, or perform other acts of censorship / destruction.

What's new here is that the vigilante censorship occurred in Harvard - and institute of higher learning where such small-minded activities presumably would not happen.

supervision? no

monitoring? not really unless you committed a crime, in which case, the footage will be pulled and ya, you will be found out.
I am a big fan of cameras in public, so long as its accessable to the greater public in cases of reported crimes. ...

Spying, supervising, monitoring - all the same - in the same class as scanners.

We accept Big Brother for "our own good" and for "our own safety" - it may be corporate, mostly to "protect property" but it's still Big Brother.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
UPDATE

(Dec. 14) -- Those gay-themed books that were soaked with urine at a Harvard College library were not a hate crime after all, the school says, but a simple accident caused by a staffer who spilled a bottle of liquid waste on 36 tomes.

Why a bottle of urine was sitting on a library shelf in the first place has yet to be explained.

"This incident was initially reported as vandalism and characterized as a hate crime," Evelynn Hammonds, dean of Harvard College, wrote Monday on the university's website. "We have learned this morning that the books, while indeed damaged, were damaged by our own library personnel accidentally spilling a bottle of what was reported to be urine that had been left on the shelf...

"Why was there a bottle of urine on the shelf?" he asked. "Why did it take two weeks for the library or HUPD to figure out that this was just an accident? Did someone suddenly come forward?"

Just ran across a little update to the PEEPEE Bandit story. Unfortunately, this raises more questions. An Accident? Someone left a bottle of urine on the shelf?

top topics

join