It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Detroit Is Halting Garbage Pickup, Police Patrols In 20% Of City: Expect Bankruptcy In 2011

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Detroit Is Halting Garbage Pickup, Police Patrols In 20% Of City: Expect Bankruptcy In 2011

www.businessinsider.com

Detroit has been bankrupt for years. It simply refuses to admit it. Detroit's schools are bankrupt as well. A mere 25% of students graduate from high school.

In a futile attempt to stave off the inevitable one last time, Mayor Bing's latest plan is to cutoff city services including road repairs, police patrols, street lights, and garbage collection in 20% of Detroit.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
So...to all of you, me included, that thought that Detroit couldn't be any worse... here it is.

Detroit is screwed... what about... we cut foreign aid and we invest that money (3 billion) in saving cities like that? I mean when you cut freaking street lights and garbage collection to a 700 000 people city... you're in big trouble.

Not to mention cutting police patrols in the third most dangerous city in America... really?

www.businessinsider.com

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Its a rat hole anyways.....

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
THANK YOU UAW

No, really

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

That's about all I have to say to your idea...

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

So...to all of you, me included, that thought that Detroit couldn't be any worse... here it is.

Detroit is screwed... what about... we cut foreign aid and we invest that money (3 billion) in saving cities like that? I mean when you cut freaking street lights and garbage collection to a 700 000 people city... you're in big trouble.

Not to mention cutting police patrols in the third most dangerous city in America... really?

www.businessinsider.com

It's more important to give 40 new jet fighters to the Israelis!
TIC

link   
Let's just hope that the favoring winds keep blowing south....no need for that smell in Canada...LOL

link   
wOw.

'a mere 25% of students graduate high school' :shk:

and that's only 25% of those who actually Attend school in the first place.

I'm not sure just how they figure that cutting off those services to 20% of the city's residents is going to 'help' the situation any. ?
?

Though, I do think it's a fair best guess as to what regions/areas of the city that 20% will include ... lowest income, highest vacancies, if you will.

Sad times for the Motor City, indeed.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by TXRabbit
THANK YOU UAW

No, really

Beat me to it.
Goodbye Detroit. Now off to General Motors Chinese factories

2004-06-07 12:03
US auto giant General Motors will invest more than US $3 billion in China over the next three years and double capacity to 1.3 million vehicles in the same period. Here a GM model and a Chinese guard on the Great Wall. [AFP file]

edit on 13-12-2010 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
So does that mean those 20% get what ever % of their taxes pay into those services? Or do they have to keep paying and shut up?

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by angrymomma
So does that mean those 20% get what ever % of their taxes pay into those services? Or do they have to keep paying and shut up?

What do you think?

Honestly, this is quite disgusting.

Greatest country in the world folks.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Go Lions! lol

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by SyphonX

Yeah it was kind of rhetorical question
. I still had to check just in case haha.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
December 11. 2010 1:00AM .Metro Detroit students get $27 million boost
GM Foundation gives to United Way to improve performance
Christina Rogers and Oralandar Brand-Williams / The Detroit News
Detroit — The General Motors Foundation will donate more than $27 million to the United Way for Southeastern Michigan, to get young children kindergarten-ready and improve graduation rates at five Metro Detroit schools struggling with high dropout rates.

The donation is the largest in the foundation's 34-year history and is intended to increase to above 80 percent the graduation rates at schools that currently are graduating 60 percent of students or lower.

From The Detroit News:

detnews.com...$27-million-boost#ixzz181Z6Sw50

You can't believe everything you read, the graduation rate in Detroit schools is around 60% not 25%., I don't know who this writer is but he hasn't done his homework and I will bet he doesn't live in Detroit. This isn't the first article I have read about Detroit and other cities where they get it all wrong.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Really?

Dismal Drop-Out Rates for Detroit Schools

A 2006 newspaper report and a 2005 Princeton study spell costly problems for the students and residents of Detroit Schools. In 2006 USA Today reported on a study funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. It said that several of the nation's largest school districts had less than a 50% graduation rate. Detroit Schools, the 11th largest district in the country, was dead last with an appalling 21.7%.

Of course, the study spurred heated debates regarding its accuracy and impartiality. In 2005 the state and city placed the Detroit Schools' graduation rate at about 44-48%, depending on the source. Some of the discrepancy is accounted for by looking at "timely graduation rates" versus those who graduate in more than the four-year time period. Either way you look at it, no one in Detroit Schools is happy with it.

So even Detroit itself says it's around 44-48%... and the largest district is at 21.7%... and that was in 2005-2006... BEFORE the economic crisis... Economic crisis = poorer people = drop out rates ++++

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
This is like the bitter end of a bad sim city game...

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
This is like the bitter end of a bad sim city game...

hah you beat me to it. This is what normally happened to all my cities in that game. Everything just went to hell, slums and abandoned buildings..lots of crime. Then I would just destroy the city with disasters just for fun. I never could get the hand of that game...sounds like those running things can't get the hang of it either.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I live in Benton harbor an mini Detroit. The neighboring communities have given up on us for a good reason. People here think being on the low end is the peak of their life. Too much something for nothing and all they want is more. 8th grade english teaches them how to fill out state aid forms. They are being left behind and wouldn't want it any other way. A company here wants to invest 85 million they told them they would take the mone but didn't want the company. They are going to build anyway and hire 90% white people because they have the edcaution and want work.1100 jobs

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
You can thank KISS for destroying detroit..

They brought the end of all to them with detroit rock city..

Now it really is a big pile of rocks..

Not to mention the percent of people smoking rocks in detroit probally around 85%

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
lol...

Illinois and Loan Sharks are probably the cause...

Perhaps when this happens: Ron Paul: No Doubt The Government Would Bail Out States Detroit will finally relax knowing that the state will rectally support its continued operations...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join