It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mormons Have World's Largest Database on Human Race: Why?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pervius
Here's a assignment to the resident Mormon's into Genealogy.

Go to the Ancestry.com website and use "God" as a last name and hit search.

Pick any of those names that pop up and trace it back until you can't go any further.

What did you find?

The English Word "G-O-D" did not mean squat back when people started using the letters "G-O-D" as a last name in Poland.....many centuries ago. Those letters put together and used by people in Poland as a last name means jack squat in their language. In 1600 those letters together in the English language also meant..... jack-squat.

What word was used by English speaking people in 1600 to signify their religious belief figure head? It was NOT "G-O-D". Around 1610 it was pulled out of someone's rear to start using the letters "G-O-D" in the English language to mean the Almighty One. There were no scrolls that reffered to it, no books, no nothing. Somebody just decided to start using those letters together to mean Da Big Man in Heaven.

Therefor you found the answer to the Mormon belief that "G-O-D" once walked among us in flesh and blood.

How? Over time languages and words changed and you don't even have a clue what your religious figure head was called 400 years ago.

This Genealogy project by the mormons can't be used to trace back to Jesus or Adam and Eve. Nobody had last names until 1400-1500's. People moved all over and nothing was tracked and recorded. For example I knocked up 3 women on late night binge drink fests and those girls didn't even know my name. If they had kids I don't even know if God himself knows who their daddies are...ha ha ha!

Mormons are.....justa nother Cult. Atleast now they're lookin' up God on Ancestry.Com!

ha ha ha ha!!!
edit on 14-12-2010 by Pervius because: spiritual

Which of the dozen or so posts in this thread pointing out that Ancestry.com is not run by the Mormon church did you miss?

Regardless, I have read your post 3 times and I am not sure what point you are trying to make, so I can only deduce you are intoxicated.
edit on 14-12-2010 by thrustbucket because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ianmoone1

There is probably more genetic data on me in databases that can (and are) combined with my genealogy than 99.9% of the planet.

And as my one worshipper on ATS is confounded by, my genealogy is a hodge-podge of serious oddity.

I hope they are REAL nice to my copies.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Is Mormonism Christian? www.youtube.com...[

Lets look at a temple shall we? www.youtube.com...

edit on 14-12-2010 by 777isall because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Im not Mormon, and I may have missed this being mentioned here...but a great place to start understanding is by reading the Mormon Bible. Take it 1st as a book of fiction, and then try and understand why they think the way they do, and how it has formed their beliefs. Peace all.............

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by 777isall
Is Mormonism Christian? www.youtube.com...
edit on 14-12-2010 by 777isall because: huh

You have made your point already. YOU have YOUR definition of the word "Christianity". Jesus wasn't an exclusive elitist, but you are.

Congratulations!

We get it. You're an elitist and you want exclusive rights to judge what a Christian is. There have been many great people before you that have done the same, just before they slaughter them; so hopefully the next mass murderer of Christians believes like you do, so I won't get killed!

Oh and if you are as right as you think you are, promise me you'll visit me in hell and bring me cookies? (Except I don't believe in hell...but I like cookies)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by mysterioustranger
Im not Mormon, and I may have missed this being mentioned here...but a great place to start understanding is by reading the Mormon Bible. Take it 1st as a book of fiction, and then try and understand why they think the way they do, and how it has formed their beliefs. Peace all.............

No thanks ill stick to the word of the creator and stay away from the Hat tricks...

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by thrustbucket

Is Mormonism Christian? www.youtube.com...
edit on 14-12-2010 by 777isall because: huh

You have made your point already. YOU have YOUR definition of the word "Christianity". Jesus wasn't an exclusive elitist, but you are.

Congratulations!

We get it. You're an elitist and you want exclusive rights to judge what a Christian is. There have been many great people before you that have done the same, just before they slaughter them; so hopefully the next mass murderer of Christians believes like you do, so I won't get killed!

Oh and if you are as right as you think you are, promise me you'll visit me in hell and bring me cookies? (Except I don't believe in hell...but I like cookies)

you sound a lot like "Do what thou Wilt shall be the whole of the Law"

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by mysterioustranger

No thanks ill stick to the word of the creator and stay away from the Hat tricks...

Where can I find the creators word and how can I scientifically prove that's what it is?

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by thrustbucket

You can start with the Torah then the gospel of John and not the foot notes and stay away from writings that come from magik hats...

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
HALLELUJAH!!! the truth has been seeded and your now free and as it grows your chains will start to wast away...

HALLELUJAH!!! Yeshua will is done!

HALLELUJAH!!! Elohim Gadol

edit on 14-12-2010 by 777isall because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Anyone else notice that a good 50% of this thread has been derailed into a "discussion" about the merits of the LDS religion itself, instead of the OP's original question?

The question of whether Mormons believe in the "5 Tenets of True Christianity" or whatever you call it doesn't have anything to do with an underground vault full of geneology records.

Just an observation. Bitter, malicious people will use any excuse they can to bash others who hold different beliefs than they do. Mean-spirited DB's injecting contention into everything. I'm not LDS, but I'll defend them every time the trolls start crapping all over their beliefs.

They use the records for vicarious, posthumous baptism. Nothing more. That is not to say TPTB couldn't use these records for their own nefarious purposes, but that's on TPTB not the LDS church. Tom Monson isn't sitting in his office doing his best Monty Burns impression, and there are no Eyes Wide Shut-style ceremonies in the temples. You're reaching for a conspiracy that isn't there.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Annee: Woman , Even though they are treated as being closer to god in higher consciousness.

Wow once again were full circle sounds a lot like the Craft... quack quack!

Get Real! Once again you are presenting your twisted view and making drama where there isn't any.

The person I addressed that do - - knows exactly what I mean - - as does everyone else for that matter.

Women tend to be more nuturing and intuitive then men. The church recognizes that. Its that simple.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by NthOther
Anyone else notice that a good 50% of this thread has been derailed into a "discussion" about the merits of the LDS religion itself, instead of the OP's original question?

The question of whether Mormons believe in the "5 Tenets of True Christianity" or whatever you call it doesn't have anything to do with an underground vault full of geneology records.

Just an observation. Bitter, malicious people will use any excuse they can to bash others who hold different beliefs than they do. Mean-spirited DB's injecting contention into everything. I'm not LDS, but I'll defend them every time the trolls start crapping all over their beliefs.

They use the records for vicarious, posthumous baptism. Nothing more. That is not to say TPTB couldn't use these records for their own nefarious purposes, but that's on TPTB not the LDS church. Tom Monson isn't sitting in his office doing his best Monty Burns impression, and there are no Eyes Wide Shut-style ceremonies in the temples. You're reaching for a conspiracy that isn't there.

Good post. And you are correct - lets get this back on topic.

I'll try not to take the troll bait anymore.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by thrustbucket

Where can I find the creators word and how can I scientifically prove that's what it is?

Fear is such an incredible force.

Fear of the unknown sparks all kinds of incredible mis-information - - judgments - - and speculation.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by JR MacBeth

Understanding the mormons(and jews) predilliction with genealogy.

The Jewish tradition is that being a jew is carried in the matriarchial lineage. (By the mother not the father).

Even today, if your child wants to go to a jewish school - then the child must be born of a jewish mother.

The father can be anything muslim Christian whatever it doesnt matter because jewish ancestry is carried in the
mothers lineage NOT the fathers.

So a Jewish man who marries a Christian woman and wants his children tutored at a jewish school?...sorry no go,
they are goyim , non jews!

One's Jewishnes is determinedby one's mothers lineage not one's father's lineage.

It's animportant principle to remember for this topic about genealogy and the Mormons because it comes from
scripture and makes a LOT of otherwise curious events in the bible more easily understood.

God promised Abraham that he would have more children than the grains of sand on the sea shore, even tho
Abraham was very old and his wife was beyond reproductive age.

Likewise God promised Solomon that one of his descendents sons would always be the king of Israel.

Thus David was a son of Solomon and God allowed David, solomons son - the privelege of building his temple.

Jesus when he returned to be the King Of The Jews sent by God, must be a direct descendent of Solomon and David
in order to be "the king of the jews".

And we see a long list if antecedents for Jesus in the Bible leading all the way from Jesus father Joseph, BACK to David!.

This is most curious!

If Jewishness is transmitted down the matriarchal line, why al these lists of Jesus MALE antecedents?

That is an entirely Roman tradition....tracing ones lineage by the father,

Further if Jesus is Gods only begotten son, via Mary the virgin, promised in marriage to Joseph, when the spirit of God
came upon her, how would any male lineage backwards from Joseph to David and then Solomn entitle Jesus to the title
king Of the jews!?

Firstly, Joseph isn't his father, God is!

Secondly, God vowed to Abraham and then to Solomon that one of Davids male lineal descendents would always sit on the throne
as King of the Jews in Jerusalem. Jesus thus wasn't a lineal descendent of King David except by that lineage of his
"step father" Joseph - the carpenter husband of Mary.

To any Jew who knows the scriptures and how the Temple works, how jewish lineage is transmitted by the matriarchal line,
so this vast lineage by a non blood relative Joseph for Jesus, just doesn't make any sense!

The Jewish temple in some respects resembles the Egyptian pharaoic system of worship along the Nile in upper and Lower Egypt
& we need to remember that moses was raised as an Egyptian Royal when found as a baby in his reed basketin the river nile by
the royal princess and raised as her own child in the RoyalHousehold and he was schooled in all the Egyptian Mystery sciences.

When the Egyptian rule was strongest, was when the upperand Lower Nile, were united as one, and trade along the river kept
everyone happy and prosperous. To celebrate this union of Uper & lower Egypt they built two massive pillars (Obelisks) that
today are known I think as Cleopatras needles, one of them might be called Nelsons column or something not sure.

Anyway the Egyptians believed that these two obelisks joined together by the lintel of the sky, represented Peace - or a state
of not being at war, where trade prospered and megalith building in the Pyramids etc took place. They were good times for
the Egyptians, lots of trade and no wars to kill off the young men,things were going along swimmingly.

When Moses left and tookthe Israelites with him, he also took a LOT of the secret knowledge of the Egyptian priests and
magicians with him.

It is not surprising then, that the jewish temple had two Pillars Jachin and Boaz, joined by a archway!.

In jewish symbolism this twin pillar archway symbol represents"Shalom" which many interpret, as meaning "peace"
but it has a more broad meaning it signifies the absence of war (and entales a state of prosperity, good tidings towards men etc).

It signifies that God is pleased and is blessing the land of Israel.

One pillar represents the State, and the Other theChurch, and the curved archhway or lintel is Gods unification of these two
systems to create peace (lack of war bounty and good will).

The archway represents God in the sky or heavens like the Egyptian pharoah system, The Keystone is how God locks all this together
and looks down over his people in a state of Shalom.

When a Jewish oerson wishes you Shallom, it is much more than peace its the whole blessed by God deal of lackof war abundance of
the harvest and increase in your family (without the attrition of war).

Even today in our governance we recognise the separation of powers, the state and church working together under the watchul eye
of God to bring about a state of Shallom(and all that it entails such as bounty and profit etc).

The Freemasons also have two Pillars in their temples Jachin and Boaz- just as the jews before them and the Egyptian pharoahs before them.

It's an old recipe for success for mankind.

In the dead sea scrolls and the nag hammadi scrolls - one of the Gospels Not published in the Bible after the roman council of
nicea by constantantine in the 4th century AD was the Gospel of Thomas.

In this particular "Gospell" purportedly when Jesus is on the cross and about to die, he is asked who the disciples are to turn too
- to lead them.

Purportedly they are told that they are to turn to Jesus Brother, James the Just, as had of the church!

Many theologans have conncluded that when Jesus came as "The King of the Jews" he was the priestly pillar of the church (jachin) and that
his brother "James the Just" was the Stately Pillar who settled legal matters (i.e. a separation ofpowers in howJerusalem and Israel was
governed religiously and administratively outside of therule imposed by Rome i.e. in the orthodox jewish custom of the time.

When their high priest and King in Jesus was Killed his role would/should have gone too his brother James who would then have become
the Jachin "priestly" Pillar and another state administrator would be elected to take up James role as the Boaz Pillar of the jewish
temple of God.

So,

Again many theologans have suggested that Jesus was called "Rabboni" which translates as rabbi or teacher. We can all imagine I guess
a unmarried 31 year old male school teacher. we can also imagine a celibate monk type priest / rabbi.

But NOT the jews of 2000 years ago!

A rabbi was a teacher of jewish levitical law, he was a priest, and ONE of his tasks was to give out to couples marital advice about
when to conceive and when not too etc (religious times of ritual cleanliness/uncleanliness) about a womans menstrual period and so on.

One of the FIRST pre requisites to be a jewish rabbi who handed out such advice to couples, was that he had to be married, a single
celibate male of 31years ofage simply COULD NOT BE A RABBI, under orthodox jewish custom of 2000 years ago when Jesus walked this earth.

There is much theological evidence that the wedding at cana was jesus wedding to Mary Magdalene.

Under jewish Custom,of the time (as now) the bride groom is responsible forthe provision of the wine.

Jesus Mother Mary is the official Hostess of the wedding feast celebraton. Its her partyand sheis responsible for seeing every thing
goes to plan.

No jewish woman (mother or wife) could adress a grown jewish male, in public andorder him to do anything - likely it would result in a
slap across the face, for stepping out of line in public and showing disrespect - with BUT ONE ExCEPTION, when she is hostess of a wedding!.

The hostess of the wedding, Mary tells her grown son Jesus (The bridegroom) that the wine has run out and its HIS responsbility to
provide more, AND jesus complies - performing his first miracle, in turning the water to wine.

Theres another clue it is Jesus wedding, one of the guests says to Jesus,after having turned the water to a very fine wine, that normally
at a wedding the groom, whos responsibility to provide the wine it is, will serve the best wine first while everyone's still sober and can
appreciate it,and then towards the end the groom wil servethe cheaper wine when people ar ful of god cheer and won't notice or care
about the quality of the wine, but that "Thou hast saved the best wine to last"

This says that Jesus whos responsibility it is as the bridegroom has savedthe best wine until last. A directclue that this is indeed
Jesus wedding.

I have read theologans who suggest that initially Mary Magdalene, was the wife of John The Baptist, and remember that John the Baptist
was born of Marys Cousin Elizabeth, and some six months before Jesus, THUSJesus and John The Baptist were direct blood relations.

Also recall that Salome? had John the Baptists head presented at a feast on a platter - so John the Baptist was murdered / executed
by the romans at an early stage in Jesus Ministry andfor jesus to be a mnster (Rabbi he HAd to be married).

Another 'common responsibility' was to take in a blood relatives 'widow' if she was under 60 years of age and take her as a wife so
that any existing children were raised as Jews, nye their mother AND if there were no male heirs toinherit any property the blood relative
might sire more children with the widow, which would beconsidered under the jewish law atthe tie the children of the deceased blood
relative and inherit his lands and proerty etc.

Essentially Jesus would have bene obilgated to mary marymagdalene most likely, and this makes mayother things in the scriptures take
on a whole new light.

For a start if we know that Jesus isn't a direct lineal descendent of David via his stepfather Joseph, as per Gods promise/vow to
Abraham and thus Solomon and then David, thatone of davids seed would always bee king of jerusalem (And god doesn't break his own vows)
then HOW could Jesus be "king of the jews" unless bymarriage to the queen of the jews by direct MATRIARCHAL Lineage back to
David as Mary Magdalene was related,.

Marymagdalene gets a rough trot in the scriptues at the hands of the romans after the council of Nicea in the 4th century AD because she
had already been married once, to John The Baptist, before she married as Johnswidow under thier custom his cousin in Jesus.
In fact the Romans suggested she was a former prostitute, but thetruth is thats a poor ranslation itjust meanyt she wasn't a virgin
bride she hadbeen married once before and this was her second wedding!

The Romans didn't understand the dynastic alliance being made, in the marriage of Jesus to Mary Magdalene in order for a King of
the jews, in jesus to come back and free them from the Yoke of Roman persecution.

This marriage allowed Jesus to be the Jachn Pillar of the church - the high priest, the King of the Jews.

As a husband to Mary Magdalene,som eother bibilical passages make more sense.

Mary Magdalene was Lazarus Sister.

Thus Jesus was "related to lazarus" by marriage - he was his brother in law.

When Lazarus dies and jesus takes some 4 days? to get there, he is berated by (his wife?) "Mary", Lazarus sister, because if he had
got there earlier he might have saved his bro in law / his wifes brother, butsince he took so long when they open the crypt there
will be a bad smell..(suggesting its too late for him to be resurrected).

But Jesus resurrects him.

Lazarus & Mary Magdalene, bro andsister are children ofone Joseph of Arimathea. thus Joseph of Armimathea, is Jesus father in law.

When Jesus dies on the cross - why is he put in a crypt owned by Joseph of Arimathea?... because the crypt is Jesus wife's fathers crypt,
in the Garden of Gethsemene.

I said this marriage of jesus andmary magdalebne was a dynastic political alliance of some import to the future of the jews, if they wanted the
King of the jews to come and rise upand savethem from theyoke of the Romans. This Joseph of Arimatea is an important fellow in jewish
political religious affairs.

So he goes too Herod and asks if he might have jesus Body off the cross to bury it and Herod says OK!

Whydoes herod say Ok and why does Joseph ask in the first place?

Well because Jesus is his son in law, the husband of his daughter Mary Magdelane, is both why he asked and why Herod said OK and also WHy
Joseph of Arimatea gave up hiscrypt in the Garden of Gethsemane,

This way his daughter Mary Magdalene now twice widowed, can mourne her husband Jesus the rabbi at the family crypt.

The Bible makes a LOT more sense if you read it from the perspective of orthodox jews of 2000 years ago who wrote it and understand
their customs of that era.

DNA.

My previous post was about DNA * databases and genealogy datbases etc.

lets tie the above, about Jesus ancestry, and my earlier post in this thread about DNA and ancestry together shall we? (So th epenny will drop!)
Hopefuly if you've been paying attention.

there are two types of DNA.

Nucleic DNA
&
Mitocondrial DNA

When an egg gets fertilised in ahuman being, the fathercontributes fromhis sperm 23 chromosomal pairs of dna and themother supplies her
23 chromosomal pairs of her dnawithin the nterior of the egg and these fuse to form a 46 chromosomal pair human DNA spiral helix.

This 46 chromosomes is your nuceic DNA - it's what makes you unique as an individual (unless your an identicle twin - the ONLy exception).

The chances of you having any one elses same DNA, if not an identicle twin, is considered statistically, about 1 quadrillion (a milion Billions)
to one!.

To put that into perspective in your minds eye imagine that theres the worlds largest sports auditorium totally filled too capacity with
library shelves from end to end and side to side.

One all these shelves are a Billion (a million Millions) cardboard archives boxes.

Inside these BILLION (a million Million) cardboard boxes - each one has 1 million (a thousand, thousands) white marbles.

Inside just one cardboard archives box containing a million white marbles, out of the Billion boxes, each containing amillion white marbels
I hide just ONE single blue marble!.

Now outsde the sports pavilion I blind fold you, and I send you nto that pavilion with a quadrillion white marbles, in a billion boxes,and
I let you draw out just ONE marble, while blindfolded.

The chances that you find that ONE Blue marble amongst the quadrillion marbles in those bilion Boxes each containig a million marbles -
is the same statistical probability that you and i have the same nucleic DNA profile,if we arent identical twins!.

This is why courts love Nucleic DNA evidence, its a mathematical certainty of about 1 in a quadrillion - that barring an identical twin
- a sample of nucleic DNA found in a crime scene DNA profile such as semen or skin cells under fingernails of a victim,if itmatches a
sample on a DNA database that, you have found your perpetrator of the crime.

So whats all this Mitochondrial DNA about then?

Damn good question and here's your answer.

When the mother creates an egg - it has a shell - a layer of cells that makeup the outside container for the nucleic 23 cromosomal dna
in the center of the egg, which when fused with the 23 chromosomes from the fathers spermwill create ahuman embryo with a 46 chromosoms
dna helix strand. We've alreadyc overed that!

What about the shell tho - what dna is in that shell?

Well the shell (which divides to make more identicale cells etc etc) contans MitochindrialDNA and it is entirely the nucleic DNA of the MOTHER!

(hint - matriarchal tree).

The Mothers nucleic DNA is 46 chromosomes from HER parents egg and sperm, and THIS DNA makes up the childs Mitochindrial DNA.

All the cells wallsin the entire body have the Mothers nuceic DNA in it as the new entitys mitochndrial DNA!.

So from the childs mitochondrial DNA, you have an exact copy of the mothers nuceic DNA (which is made up of the 2 matriarchal lineages grandparents nuceic DNA)!

So

The question then arises, how did tejews of 2000+ years ago, KNOW, That the MATRIARCHIAL LINEAGE, carried THE MITOCONDRIAL DNA - OF THE MOTHER!

I.e.how did they KNOW that ones Jewish DNA was carriedby the matriarchal lineage NOT the fathers lineage.

Again - what is the whole point of Joseph the carpenters family lineage in the gospels - all the way back to King David, in suport of Jesus right
to the crown of Jerusalem as "King of the Jews" if Joseph the carpenter wasn't Jesus blood (nucleic DNA) father?

Surely from Jewish law & Mitochondrial DNA (Matriarchal tree) perspective, the lineage of Mary, Jesus MOTHER, is FAr and away more important in
Jesus claims to be a titular king of the Jews, and thier Jachin Pillar in the temple as their high priest?

Many Many miracles in the Bible, are not at all well understood, without in depth study, knowledge of DNA and genealogy, and study of
the jewish customs of 2010 years ago.

Shallom and here endeth the lesson!.

(and no I am not Jewish, nor a theologan, nor a mormon CLDS - but I do admit that their minority practice of polygamy, sure caught my attention! ;o)

P.s. for the mods thats ALL my own original work - so no links to any 'sources' where it already exists on the net - it's my own intellectual property, so please do NOT delete it without at east letting me know first so that I can save a copy please & thank you.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alethea

Originally posted by ThinkingCap
Thanks for the thread. I suppose if I was conducting a hugely expensive genealogy study I'd want it safe from a Nuclear blast or those jerks with sunglasses and suits trying to confiscate anything.

But why would it be tucked away instead of openly released to people like through a public library? Publications that could have been updated with new volumes each year? Why would they collect information on the general public and not make it available publicly?

Actually it is available publicly, or rather copies (digital or physical) are available. Some online, some by request at family history centers set up within their churches, which are open to any who want to use them. It is simply stored in a vault to keep it safe regardless of the disaster. There is no secrecy here, only safeguarding information considered valuable.
edit on 14-12-2010 by Talvar because: To clarify

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
2 billion records online? They should make them available to the public and start up an alternative to ancestry.com.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Talvar
Actually it is available publicly, or rather copies (digital or physical) are available. Some online, some by request at family history centers set up within their churches, which are open to any who want to use them. It is simply stored in a vault to keep it safe regardless of the disaster. There is no secrecy here, only safeguarding information considered valuable.

I think people forget "Life and Data" existed before the Internet.

Those that gather (have gathered) this data for many - many years are volunteers. There is an organized effort through the Mormon church to get this data on line. It is not going to magically happen. It has to be entered by hand.

I can tell you many of those volunteers entering the collected data are elderly. You ever tried reading census records? It can't be rushed.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Being a genealogist..and not a Mormon...let me enlighten you.

Why does this seem to be the mission and focus of the Mormon religion to collect information on genealogies? What is it's purpose to hold these records?

part of thier religion demands that they not only save themselves via baptism...but retroactively go back and save thier ancestors. They hold ceromonies baptizing thier ancestry as far back as they can trace it. It is part of thier faith to research thier ancestors as far back as they can.

Does the Mormon database have more information on your family history than you yourself have?

For the average joe..yes. I have used thier files many times in my research. Those files ROCK.

Why all the secrecy?

The site is www.familysearch.com to access their genealogy records.

It is free and it is the best place for any genealogist to get started for free...IMO

Ancestry.com is expensive, but also has some great records.

Ancestry.com, a subscription-based service started by members of the LDS church,

Key words there "members" Ancestry isn't owned by the LDS...FamilySearch.org is....Ancestry is a pay service....familysearch.org is free.

How did this organization come to have unrestricted access to all of the census records? Who is really in charge of the census?

WE ALL have access to the census records...of the past, not present.

The problem is that ..let's say the 1860 census...It is hand written in sloppy old fashioned text. Not even OCR scanners can decipher it. It takes a human to read and then transcribe it online. The LDS church has done this for free...for everyone to access for I think the 1880 census.

Other census data is on Micro-film and also has to be transcribed...it's a LOT of work. Imagine typing Joe blow, his age and sex, marital staus, place of birth etc. for EVERYONE in the USA in 1880.

Rootsconnect is also a free genealogy project with members transcribing the census.

Ancestry has tons of census info they have transcribed, but they charge.

Census records are not "secret", but available to everyone. I think recent census data is kept confidential for a period of time, but right now you can get some census data up to the 1930's from various sites.

USGenweb.org - free
Rootsconnect - free
Ancestry -paid
Familysearch -free (LDS)
etc.

I am no fan of the Mormon religion, but LOVE that they keep such records and make them available to the public as quick as thier Morman fingers can type.

I reccomend anyone interested in thier family info to visit thier site...Familysearch.org
edit on 14-12-2010 by maybereal11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Maybe they are keeping them for the Reptilian UnderLords? I hear they have underground tunnels which house them and the higher ups meet on a regular basis. And one more thing seems the higher ups are moving back to Utah now and that makes me wonder what they know is coming down the pike? I was told that where I live was deemed the original garden of Eden, and yet even the LDS here have left recently. They are in the know you better believe it.
edit on 14-12-2010 by antar because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join