It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Afghanistan plans national electronic ID cards

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   

War-torn Afghanistan lacks basic national infrastructure, yet on Sunday the government unveiled plans for a $100 million electronic identification system with cards to be issued to all Afghans within five years.

A chip in the wallet-size identification cards will hold a drivers' license, vehicle registration, signature and voting registration and would aid fairer, more transparent and efficient future elections, the Ministry of Communications said.

Link to Story
edit on 12/12/2010 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/57809ab04346.png[/atsimg]

So all of their identification will be held in a chip on their National Identification card? Does anyone else feel somewhat worried about this in anyway?

I understand for security reasons they would want everyone to have and ID card but they should not be forcing this on people that do not want it. The only part that truly has me reading this over again is the whole chip in the ID card with their fingerprint and everything.

Does this appear to be a little totalitarian big brother to them as well or am I just too paranoid?

Reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
OMG Thats just insane . Imagine knocking on cave entrance and asking to check proper ID. Just nutso. Who though up this gem?

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
When I clicked on the link I was attacked by a malicious toolkit.

Here is yahoo news and reuters links free of malicious toolkits
news.yahoo.com...

www.reuters.com...
edit on 12/12/10 by MikeboydUS because: !

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Thanks for the links.

I will use the Reuters link to replace the Rawstory one. I was wondering what was wrong with it.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

As I look at my drivers license, which usually resides in my back pocket... I have to say "Not worried about this." I've never been one to think that having ID is a terrible thing. Chances are your local morgue has a few folks, on ice, with toe tags that say "John" or "Jane Doe" who, if possible, might wish that they'd have been carrying some ID when they wandered into the wrong place at the wrong time.

Biometrics are way more of a danger to us, in terms of tracking our movements and keeping tabs upon us than any carried card could.

Even more so... Cell phones, something most of us, and many even in Afghanistan, already carry voluntarily - and which will betray us much more easily than a card can.

~Heff

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
India have been rolling out national ID cards for a few years.

The UK have dropped the issue for now but it won't be long until it rears its ugly head again.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Proto-types for a U.S/Western world roll out? Are they just using Afghanistan to work out the kinks?

Quite disturbing indeed, I am also going to see what I can find out about this 'Grand technology resources'.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

The smart cards, the biometric scanners, and cellphones are all components of a larger system.

Not everyone will have the cards, the cellphones, or submit to the scanners.
So there is something to fall back on in case someone is missing a component.

Eventually though a person's wallet and their phone are going to be the same thing. The SIM card on the phone can hold the same kind of certificates/signatures/keys as a Common Access Card. The difference is that phones do not require contact to check or upload the certificates.

Future Biometric scanners at checkpoints will be able to check your certificates and at the same time verify who you are through biometric data, making sure you are who your certificates say you are.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir

War-torn Afghanistan lacks basic national infrastructure, yet on Sunday the government unveiled plans for a $100 million electronic identification system with cards to be issued to all Afghans within five years.

A chip in the wallet-size identification cards will hold a drivers' license, vehicle registration, signature and voting registration and would aid fairer, more transparent and efficient future elections, the Ministry of Communications said.

Link to Story

Drivers license? vehicle registration?
Surely there thinking of a different Afghanistan.

Voting?
funny

There voting is a bigger joke than ours!
edit on 12-12-2010 by XxRagingxPandaxX because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by XxRagingxPandaxX

Afghanistan is one of the 5 worst corrupt countries I do believe. They are not a democracy in any sense of the word either.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
The American empire is testing this technology on the war-torn Afghan colony that it has conquered. Same as Monsanto pushing GM crops onto the Afghan people.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
And they're paying for this HOW?

100 million? Care to guess how much of that is coming from the US taxpayers?

I have no doubt some seedy US firm will be in charge of implementing this scheme (Halliburton anyone?), as a test bed for how to carry out this type of ID system for potential use here in the west.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Lmfao... Good luck getting the people of afghanistan to accept that... Can see the reception it will get now..

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Maybe this is not so easy to be applied... However this is a new thing in Afghanistan and hope this can be smoothly.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
And they're paying for this HOW?

100 million? Care to guess how much of that is coming from the US taxpayers?

I have no doubt some seedy US firm will be in charge of implementing this scheme (Halliburton anyone?), as a test bed for how to carry out this type of ID system for potential use here in the west.

I would guess all of their mineral wealth has something to do with it. Sure we give these countries so much money, but its not a free gift. All of them are in debt to us or ultimately to the Federal Reserve.

The US military is involved in the Afghan NID program. Contractors involved in biometric collection were brought over months ago.

Sure it has and will have potential applications in the US.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir

Link to Story

no fresh food..little clean water...one barely livable city..zero health care and education facilities for kids let alone women and what passes for hospitals a sad ironic joke..a political p[uppet system installed by a foreign nation, murderous thugs and pirates stalking the roads and a rural population thats near starvation 6 months out of every year but sure..lets spend a hundred mil on electronic id cards..makes perfect sense:/
sigh

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Rosha

Oh my, I see you havn't been there.

Unlike 75% of the people on the forums, I have.

Its nowhere near as bad as you paint it.

You would be surprised by how many people have Toyotas and cellphones, even outside the cities.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS

You would be surprised by how many people have Toyotas and cellphones, even outside the cities.

Yes, because nothing spells out progress like Toyotas and cellphones. Sounds more like assimilation to me

You know what I find funny? How the US paid regional warlords a lot of cash to back them up in the early years of the invasion. The warlords took the money, became the "Afghan elite" and funded mega-projects in Dubai with American taxpayer's money.

See these?

A lot of these apartments and fancy homes are owned by Afghan warlords. See, they benefited the most out of the US invasion, and with another home to go to, they kickstarted the Afghan opium trade again to create business since the Taliban was pre-occupied with the war and whatnot. Think of US payments to warlords as an investment to destabilize Afghanistan.

Toyotas and cellphones are progress, after the US invaded Afghanistan, attacked its Taliban government, and took over a lot of its economy while building permanent bases alongside the Iranian border. Yeah, ok buddy

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
One of the biggest problems in Afhganistan is insurgance from other countries coming to cause havoc

this will perhaps help stopping that by identifying who should and shouldn't be there to begin with. good move forward.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join