It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Historians discover letters and numbers in Mona Lisa's eyes

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+64 more 
posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Historians discover letters and numbers in Mona Lisa's eyes

au.news.yahoo.com

Tiny numbers and letters have been discovered painted into the eyes of the Mona Lisa prompting an investigation by art historians.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
What could this possibly reveal? Also, how did he get these letters and number etched SOO small that they are only visible via microscope?

There is endless fascination with LEo himself, as a human and artist. I will be watching this very closely. Although, it would take decades to decipher I bet and maybe, most likely actually, we will really never know...
edit on 12-12-2010 by CanadianDream420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
someone also seems to discover something new about leornardo da vinci or the mona lisa every day !!!

I wonder if they have any high resolution photos that they can share with us!

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

I think you can get a high res pic on the net..
I might have a look..
That pic has always bothered me..
It's the background..I've always wondered why he painted it as such..
S&F for the interest...

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
What an amazing find (both your post & the letters in the painting!)
Da Vinci, like many of his contemporaries is alleged to have been an initiate. That is, a mason or occult scholar. The 72 is a give away. Absolutely fascinating!

I wonder what the LV implies? A cursory check of the kabbalistic reference says that LV (in Roman numerals = 55) apart from possibly being reference to his own name loosely, also equals 'thief/stolen' & 'bride'

EDIT: Mona Lisa is claimed to be a feminized self-portrait of Da Vinci himself, which also ties perfectly with the occult concept of the bride (Kore/Malkah/Bride of Christ)

Great stuff!

edit on 12/12/10 by HelionPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   

cool find, wonder if it could mean anything!

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   

wow, this is pretty cool, if it really is anything......

mayabe his social insurance number???? wasn't the mona lisa painted on hemp canvas??

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Lots of old mysteries out there.

Today, Dec. 12 is a big day in Mexico. It's the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe. Her image, on Juan Diego's "tilma" ALSO has things in her eyes that really seem to defy modern explanation.

We're talking five centuries ago, so maybe relevant to Da Vinci's era, when perhaps more was known about the application of microscopic details than we appreciate today.

It will be interesting to follow what comes of this Mona Lisa thing. Maybe hidden codes that get interpreted at some point. (Gosh, I hope I don't hear 2012 again!)

Anyway, S & F OP, I hadn't heard about this yet!

JR

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
oh man

a real Davinci code

kewl

it would be funny as hell to find out
the numbers were the local telephone number
for Dominos Pizza delivery.

hahahaha

or it could be the Long and Lat
coordinates for the discovery of
the Ark of the Covenant.

edit on 12/12/2010 by boondock-saint because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianDream420
What could this possibly reveal? Also, how did he get these letters and number etched SOO small that they are only visible via microscope?

Awesome! I didn't see anywhere that a microscope is needed to see them. It says a magnifying glass shows it easily.

But still, pretty cool. So glad to be part of the generation who got to learn something new about Mona.

MM

PS- No idea why my text is small.
edit on 12-12-2010 by Mr Mask because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/13/2010 by 12m8keall2c because: fixed font size

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
This thread is worthless without pics !

Seriously though, I'd be interested to see these magnified images, to see whether there were actual discernible numbers inside the representation of her eyes, or whether it's just a case of apophenia...

Having said that, da Vinci was a man of extraordinary talents, so if anyone was capable of leaving microscopic numerical coding within his artworks, then he would be your man.

edit on 12-12-2010 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   

great post, this kind of thing is the reason i joined ats ,and my first flag given happy days .theres probably another book in this for dan brown :-)

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
i am just throwing this possibility out there, secrets, spies, messages without being caught or raising suspicions.
it could be how they use to pass messages between people. art would of been a good mask or way of doing it.

maybe.....

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   

So we all thought that Leonardo was a good artist, but now it turns out he was painting by numbers

Seriously though, will be fascinating to see what code is hidden within this. Leonardo was a pioneer in many subjects and truly one of the greatest minds in human history.

+14 more 
posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Edit

See above
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d62934bdcc80.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 12-12-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Very very cool. Good find.

As has been noted already in this thread, the numebr 72 is very significant for a variety of reasons. The first thing that comes to mind is the "Shemhaforash," or the "72 names of God." At different times, the "true" and un-utterable name of God has been considered to be made up of 72 different letters or 72 different words, all of which differ depending on time, place, and source. For more info, see the below for starters:

Esoteric names of God

One version of the 72 names (engraving)

More on the 72 names

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
[Drat, a double post! Sorry.]
edit on 12/12/10 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Are we sure these people aren't suffering from a serious case of Pareidolia and wishful thinking.

One minute they say

"To the naked eye the symbols are not visible but with a magnifying glass they can clearly be seen,"

Then in the next paragraph

"It is very difficult to make them out clearly but they appear to be the letters CE or it could be the letter B

Which is it? are they clear or impossible to make out?

I think it might be a couple of art historians that are desperate to make a name for themselves

link   

Hmmm, I just tried looking on this pic but can't see any letters..

www.lib-art.com...

link   
reply to post by maythetruthbeknown

Rats! You nailed my comment before I had the chance. I was going to suggest that maybe "Ye Olde Art Shoppe" sold him a Mona Lisa paint by numbers and he wasn't the genius artiste we grew up believing him to be.

In seriousness though, DaVinci is one of a small number of historical figures who I honestly believe had some form of paranormal assistance. I don't know whether that assist was from the hands of God, aliens, spirits, or visions, but the man clearly was working on a plane so far above everyone else at the time that it couldn't have all been by happenstance.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join